Quantcast

My move to Germany

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I was there for the last IxS race and hope to get out there at least once this summer, but only 2 trails? kinda weak in my opinion.
Yeah that was pretty much my impression too, nice lil town though.

Freiburg is also pretty cool, I lived not far down the road at Schopfheim and Brombach a couple of years back.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
It's going to be hard ordering a brew with a RateBeer.com score of 22.

Especially when my local fav is sits at 99.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/la-cumbre-elevated-ipa/133713/

But when in Germany, do as the Germans do.
After 4 or 5 I tend to not mind what it is. Wulle is a pretty standard, average beer, but it's also at nearly every bar so you don't have to think too much, or get caught off guard with the language when they respond and explain to you that they don't have it.

Beykebap makes the best kebap in all of Stuttgart.

Bikes n Boards on Tubingerstrasse is a great shop for bike stuff.

If you convince your gf to go to the nudie swimming bath and spa with the mindset that you're going to get to look at a lot of butts, you'll find that an overwhelmingly high majority of old men are looking at her butt.

H&M has the best U-bahn posters right now.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
After 4 or 5 I tend to not mind what it is. Wulle is a pretty standard, average beer, but it's also at nearly every bar so you don't have to think too much, or get caught off guard with the language when they respond and explain to you that they don't have it.

We visited New Zealand last year and had a similar experience with their Steinlager. It was basically tasteless swill, but easy to order - like Bud/Miller/Coors is here in the US.

I'll seek out the German styles I like such as Kölsch, hefeweizen, dunkelweizen, Rauchbier, etc.

Surely these are fairly easy to find?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We visited New Zealand last year and had a similar experience with their Steinlager. It was basically tasteless swill, but easy to order - like Bud/Miller/Coors is here in the US.

I'll seek out the German styles I like such as Kölsch, hefeweizen, dunkelweizen, Rauchbier, etc.

Surely these are fairly easy to find?
Every bar will have at hefe at least.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Beykebap makes the best kebap in all of Stuttgart.

H&M has the best U-bahn posters right now.

Hmmm...I dont know about that. We definitely need to get together and go on a taste test mission. Out here in the 'bubs we have a couple awesome kebap shops...one in Vaihingen (Forget the name...either Ali Baba or Aladdin...) off the Marktplatz is awesome, as is Evrem and Vulkan in Sindelfingen.

And yes, yes they do!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Your going to southern Germany.... I think it would be impossible to find a bar without a Hefeweissen!!!!
And Bamberg the town that kept the Rauchbeer tradition alive and is famous for it is not far from Stuttgart.
Kölsch might be a harder find as its more of a Norther German specialty, try the local Zwickel/Keller/Landbier instead, goes great with brie on crusty bread.

Also Waldhaus from same German state Baden Wurttemburg has a good IPA.... That's IPA not APA. ;)

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Hmmm...I dont know about that. We definitely need to get together and go on a taste test mission. Out here in the 'bubs we have a couple awesome kebap shops...one in Vaihingen (Forget the name...either Ali Baba or Aladdin...) off the Marktplatz is awesome, as is Evrem and Vulkan in Sindelfingen.

And yes, yes they do!
My g/f's in Prague so I'll be free this weekend

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This is a dumb question, but if I bring my bbq grill will I be able to get a propane bottle to fit it (or an adaptor)?

Also, will I need to put lights/reflectors on my Thule T2 hitch rack?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
N8, the PX and Patch shoppette has propane...you wont even need an adaptor. Hitch rack I dont know. I use a roof rack. Will look around tho...

No good for me this weekend...Frau has me hopping this evening and all day tommorow...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For those saying that everything is going to cost 50% more in Germany...hello? Welcome to Alaska and Hawaii. I deal with this every day. Stuff is on average somewhere between 50% and twice as expensive as it is down south, and sometimes it's the most ridiculous things. $12 for a block of cheese that would cost at most, $8 down south. $2 for ONE non-organic bell pepper. Housing is about 2x as expensive. Not kidding here. Just got some exercise equipment, and it's either you pay the 50% more cost, or you pay some outrageous shipping amount, although I took advantage of black friday on thursday and was able to get a TV shipped for only about $35 by some miracle. There are a few things that aren't drastically overpriced, but they can be few and far between. I wouldn't worry about this too much, it's honestly a bit of a drag, but this is where you pick up the slack with public transportation and other things.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Via bike or car?

We'd like to live someplace outside the hussel of the city, but close enough to visit frequently.
Either or...but I was referring to bike. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to get home in the car. 2 inches of snow snarled a normally 15 minute drive all to hell. My bike commute is normally 20 minutes, a little longer if the weather is good and I goof off on the trails...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Lookin like it's a "go" for my transfer.

My Mini has a crack in the windshield (passenger's ride out of the driver's line of vision) - do I have to fix it in order to pass whatever inspection the Germans require?

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My Mini has a crack in the windshield (passenger's ride out of the driver's line of vision) - do I have to fix it in order to pass whatever inspection the Germans require?
why even take it.....sell it and get something over there.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Why not take it? It's already paid for and gets shipped as part of my household goods.
A mini probably doesn't have the same cache in germany, but when a buddy here took his wrangler across the pond he was regularly being offered several grand more than he'd paid for it. Why he kept it is beyond me, YMMV. Something to look into if you're not too attached to it.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
There is a Mini dealer immediately outside of Patch Barracks...I ride by it every day. You will have to replace the windshield before inspection...they are pretty damn thorough. Get ready for alot of frustration during the PCS and inprocessing...

Let me know how I can help.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I just might bring my Toyota FJ and sell it since they aren't common which might result in a higher sales price - donno about that yet.

A buddy of mine who's in DE said he got bitched at by his German neighbor for letting his car warm up while he scrapped the ice off the windshield this morning and he said he could have gotten a 10 euro fine if they'd turned his ass in. Heh.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I just might bring my Toyota FJ and sell it since they aren't common which might result in a higher sales price - donno about that yet.

A buddy of mine who's in DE said he got bitched at by his German neighbor for letting his car warm up while he scrapped the ice off the windshield this morning and he said he could have gotten a 10 euro fine if they'd turned his ass in. Heh.
i´ve met quite a few americans who brought their cars abroad.

for the most part, its usually a headache.

your mini/fj might not be the same spec of mini/fj sold in germany. it might be a hassle (or really expensive) to get parts or adecuate service (the toyota dealers in germany might not even take your car for service). and you have to be 100% sure the car its up to german regulations, otherwise, you will spend a lot of time trying to get it out of customs, if you can get it out at all.

i remember a case where somebody from the US embassy brought their toyota avalon to Lima. the keys got lost during shipping, and when the car was sent to my dealership in Lima, we didnt have the service manuals for the car (and our scanner was not even compatible with all the functions the car had). it took about 2 months and $4000 to replace the keys/ecu/receptor.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The Mini dealer here will work on any Minis...I dont know where a Toyota dealer is. This is the home of Mercedes and Porsche...lease one when you get here. Easy. Peasey.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've also dealt with the pesky German neighbor tapping on the windshield when my girlfriend and I were letting the car idle and defrost the windows. The fact that we were also checking some directions on a map and that he had just pulled up in his dumbcar really made me want to hit him.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Driving should be a blast - I'm from Albuquerque and we locals pride ourselves on never-ever using turn signals for anything

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Your going to southern Germany.... I think it would be impossible to find a bar without a Hefeweissen!!!!
And Bamberg the town that kept the Rauchbeer tradition alive and is famous for it is not far from Stuttgart.
Kölsch might be a harder find as its more of a Norther German specialty, try the local Zwickel/Keller/Landbier instead, goes great with brie on crusty bread.

Also Waldhaus from same German state Baden Wurttemburg has a good IPA.... That's IPA not APA. ;)
All is well - I can scratch my US IPA itch here, when I need to:
http://www.maruhn.de/main/main.htm