Quantcast

My life with Leisure Suit Larry (AKA Transition TR450 Review)

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My friend Leisure Suit Larry...

Finally got my bike all put together and got a solid week at Northstar on it. Here's my thoughts.

The BuildThe Build
- Medium TR450 in master yellow
- DHX4 rear end.
- 500lb rear spring
- 2012 Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo V.2 Fork
- E-Thirteen LG1 Plus Guide
- E-Thirteen Guide Ring in GREEN
- Easton Havoc 35mm direct mount stem and bar
- Straitline De Facto Platform Pedals
- Saint cranks/brakes
- An amazing velvet cheetah saddle
- Geax Neuron (f) DHEA (r) tires in UST

The Ride
Finally got the bike put together the night before we were supposed to head out to Sunrise on a Sunday morning. First threw a leg over it, and thought it was stiff with a 600# spring and two cranks of preload.

Then I rode it down the hill. It was so stiff front and rear that I really thought I made a mistake. So I cranked down the preload on the fork to a lot less, and rode it some more. Rear end was still so stiff that I was not happy.

Went home, changed out the rear spring to 500#, packed up and drove from Phoenix to Reno for a week at N*.

Figured out a few things.
1. Had the preload on the fork up too high after putting in the x-firm springs. Dialed that down.
2. 40# for tire pressure is way too high, even if you're 240#.

After messing with it some after the first day at N*, figuring out how to dial back the preload from the bottom of the 888, and messing with the rebound speed on the front and rear, I had one hell of a bike.

Riding it at N* I was worried she'd just be a high speed jumping pony. I was super wrong about this.
The bike is very, very flickable for a bike that was described as a plow bike. It also was super easy to manual the bike, then kick it down into turns or over little bumps.

Honestly, I liked it more than my 303. It is more my style.

Gripes
1. The tires.
Geax tires are sort of crap. Yes, they're cheap, but at this point they're not holding together. 8 total days of riding, maybe 40 laps on the mountain, and they're coming apart. Going to order some Maxxis bits tonight.

2. 175mm cranks.
I went too long on the cranks. Kept getting pedal and toe strikes. Going to order some new cranks on Friday when I get paid.

3. Saint 810 brakes
Stop like champs, but not a lot of modulation in the lever. Also, they require a lot of work on the part of my trigger fingers.

Overall?
I'm super happy with this build. It was in stock, it was easy to build, easy to maintain. I would highly suggest one of these to people who like to ride bikes. I ran into three other guys riding TR450's at N*, and EVERYONE had grins. Only crack we could make is "god that bike sucks" at one another. It is a killer ride, and rides like a bat out of hell.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Nice yeah it is pretty nimble. Not sure what your pocketbook looks like but if you want Saint power that actually modulates look at the Hope V2s they are killer.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm gonna wait til I can find some Saint 820's. Then I am going to rock those.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I've came off last years saints to this years HAyes Primes. Really liking them. Great stopping power and adjustability. Worth looking into. About 30 rides in on them w/ 4 days of Whistler and they are still going strong.

The 888 is hard to tune right with the xfirm spring. I have little to no preload, like 6 clicks compression and a semi fast rebound. Havent fully found the sweet spot after Whistler. Getting there.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Gripes
1. The tires.
Geax tires are sort of crap. Yes, they're cheap, but at this point they're not holding together. 8 total days of riding, maybe 40 laps on the mountain, and they're coming apart. Going to order some Maxxis bits tonight.
40 laps on northstar trails is not bad at all for the lifespan of a tire.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I can get a summer out of regular Maxxis tires.
Does not compute. I've found Neurons to last way better than Minion DHFs for me. Like the way the Minions ride a bit better but I've had wildly different luck durability wise.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I was able to get a summer out of going to Whistler every other week for three days straight, 10 to 12 laps per day.

The next summer I used up two sets of Minions riding Northstar 4 days a week, every week they were open.

Right now I am on 6 days total on the Geax's, and the rears are used and abused. The Neurons are in decent shape, but are wearing strangely. The center knobs are getting a little haggered, but the nubs haven't come off the side lugs.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
IT HELPS TO READ, DIRECT FROM THE SITE.
Tip: the Neuron makes an excellent front tyre for all dry DH applications. Pair with a rear DHEA or Neuron depending on the course and riding style.

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
So far the Conti Rain King is the best tire is ever had.
Rode one month in Whistler on Conti's, Compound feels like Maxxis 40a but lasts as long as 60a's. Never felt so comfortable on wet roots and stones. Only downside is the weight and rolling resistance, but that doesn't matter for me.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Surpirsed you're running a 500 lb spring, as that's what I have on mine with my 195 lbs of flab. Getting about an 1" of saggage with just a couple turns of preload.
^^
EDIT - Brain flatulence, running a 450 lb spring.

Regardless, glad you're enjoying the new ride, and I'm digging the colorway :thumb:

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
are you by chance color blind??? ;)
Yes, actually I am. But that's besides the point.
I do all of my bikes in the most ass ugly color scheme I can. I think it a) deters theft and b) sets them apart from the masses.

Surpirsed you're running a 500 lb spring, as that's what I have on mine with my 195 lbs of flab. Getting about an 1" of saggage with just a couple turns of preload.
^^
EDIT - Brain flatulence, running a 450 lb spring.

Regardless, glad you're enjoying the new ride, and I'm digging the colorway :thumb:
Glad you edited that, I was double and triple checking my math with the various online spring calculators.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am expecting my 450 to arrive tomorrow.

I am 170-80 and went with a 450lb spring. I am going to order a 400 as well just in case.

I didn't go quite as bling on the component build, but $ was a factor. I did build kit 2 from transition with a fox 40.

I'm glad to hear you liked it, I am looking forward to riding mine hopefully this weekend, but at snowshoe for sure next weekend.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
How tall are you?

It's looking like my DH bike replacement options are the Tr450 and the Session.
The Tr450 is what I'm leaning toward. I'm not sure on sizing. The medium is similar in size to my medium Sunday which I almost love the fit of. I have no complaints while riding, but I wouldn't hate being slightly longer.
The Large is the same size as my old Large Session 10 which I had no issues with fit wise. I did get to parking lot test a large 450 and thought it ran a little small but I figured it might just be how the bike was set up.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Rode my new tr450 yesterday.

Got about 10 or so runs in.

It's cockpit feels a bit smaller then my specialized bighit (2009) I replaced. It rides very similar to my big hit, but doesn't take square edged hits as well, but is more lively and able to hop over stuff better, it is also more forgiving. I'm quite happy with it.