Quantcast

My dreams are real!!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Well, after years of dreaming about a white Balfa BB7, I finally made it happen.

2003 regular size (I am 6'1" and it fits fine).
2004 Shiver
Avy rear shock
Mavic rims and Hayes brakes from my old Iron Horse SGS Expert.
Truvative cranks and BB.
Evil SRS
FSA oversized bar

I just built it up last weekend and took it for two rides. One at the local dirt jumps, the other at a local DH shuttle run. I still need some time to dial in the suspension, but so far both the Shiver and the Avy are great. As you would expect, it is stiff as can be and rides like it is on a rail. 48 pounds sounds like a lot, but it doesn't feel like it on the trial (though it sucks lifiting it up to put in the truck).

Much love to Sean and Robert for selling me the frame and the fork. You guys were great.

Here she is :love:

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Damn! nice rig. i bet your glad to have it together. Your right, I'd never guess that it would weigh 48 pounds. With alittle mud, you'll have a 51 pound bike, LOL. ENjoy, it sure looks kick ass!!!

joel

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ha,
I had to go check my garage to make sure you didn't steal mine. I have the same frame / fork setup and I love it. Although, I have a long and I think it might be a hair short. (I'm 6'1" too.)

Nice ride.

FYI, put some loctite on the pivot bolts and watch them. I carry a 10mm socket in my bag just in case. Once bitten, twice shy.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
mandown said:
i appreciate the heads up. those bolts seem to be in there damn tight. i am certain that loctite was used.
When I first got the bike, I went over it and put loctite on the bolts. One ride later and they were loose. I had to do it again and make sure I got them REALLY clean first with lotsa loctite primer. I still carry a wrench and check them often just in case. You'll know when they are loose. It feels like your riding a swing bike.

Attachments

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
GiantDHRider said:
you may wanna cut down your steerer tube there...
I didn't want to cut my steerer because the Balfa has a crazy short headtube. This would make the fork worthless for future use on another frame. I put spacers under the top crown and moved the crown up to the max. That way there is no scary headtube poking out.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
there is the short head tube resale/reuse issue, and the fact that it makes a dandy place to hang a pine scented air freshener. :thumb:

my dentist has also requested that i not cut the headtube down, though i am not sure why. :D