Quantcast

My 2012 888 Evo V2

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
now that's a fail on marzocchis' behalf. the cr damper might actually be better than the rc3, only a bit messier to work on.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I asked the oz importer about getting the parts to convert my V1 to V2 rebound and he told me exactly what those pictures linked show, it's just a spring backed bypass, not influencing the rebound behaviour at all, mainly giving a little compression support.

Advice to zoke buyer, by CR, fit Avalanche cartridge, profit.

c-rod

Chimp
Sep 3, 2009
The Great State of TEXAS
I asked the oz importer about getting the parts to convert my V1 to V2 rebound and he told me exactly what those pictures linked show, it's just a spring backed bypass, not influencing the rebound behaviour at all, mainly giving a little compression support.

Advice to zoke buyer, by CR, fit Avalanche cartridge, profit.
I take it you have the AVY cartridge? How does it ride compared to the stock set up? Right now I am on a budget and the 650 for the CR and then adding the 500 for the AVY cartridge that puts me over the 1k price tag. Would it be worth it to get the CR ride it for the season and then do the up grade at the end of the season for next year?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I take it you have the AVY cartridge? How does it ride compared to the stock set up? Right now I am on a budget and the 650 for the CR and then adding the 500 for the AVY cartridge that puts me over the 1k price tag. Would it be worth it to get the CR ride it for the season and then do the up grade at the end of the season for next year?
No I don't have the Avy cartridge, I bought one of the first 2010 evos. It's been uber reliable and really there's only a few situations where the rebound is lacking in ability. I was going to upgrade the cart to 12' (before I found out the new rebound piston was a joke), then I stopped riding DH pretty well, so my demo gathers dust.

The avalanche cart really has everything you could want though. I say get the CR then Avy cart because you'll then pretty well have a BOS Idylle Pro for around $1k. The CR cartridge seems to be fantastic for the price, from the schematics I've seen I can't see the advantage of the EVO cart over the new CR cart.

TLDR, I haven't ridden an Avy cart, but if I still rode DH I'd be on it like a fat kid on cake. If you can't afford it definitely go CR over EVO V2, then you can upgrade later.

Edit: http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Marz/Marzocchi 888 38mm stock internals.htm That's the CR cart internals, has spring backed FP and full compression shim stack. I seriously don't understand why the EVO2 is better.

Last edited:

c-rod

Chimp
Sep 3, 2009
The Great State of TEXAS
No I don't have the Avy cartridge, I bought one of the first 2010 evos. It's been uber reliable and really there's only a few situations where the rebound is lacking in ability. I was going to upgrade the cart to 12' (before I found out the new rebound piston was a joke), then I stopped riding DH pretty well, so my demo gathers dust.

The avalanche cart really has everything you could want though. I say get the CR then Avy cart because you'll then pretty well have a BOS Idylle Pro for around $1k. The CR cartridge seems to be fantastic for the price, from the schematics I've seen I can't see the advantage of the EVO cart over the new CR cart.

TLDR, I haven't ridden an Avy cart, but if I still rode DH I'd be on it like a fat kid on cake. If you can't afford it definitely go CR over EVO V2, then you can upgrade later.

Edit: http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Marz/Marzocchi 888 38mm stock internals.htm That's the CR cart internals, has spring backed FP and full compression shim stack. I seriously don't understand why the EVO2 is better.
Interesting, Your really making my decision hard! LOL.. I had already made up my mind not to spend the cash for a 40 or Evo Ti, and go with the Evo steel. Then I found this thread by accident and started thinking about it as to which would be the best route to go. I am planning on buying Wed. or Thurs. so I better make a decision fast!! Thanks for the input

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If you really want the best package, try to get a 2010-2011 EVO ti (or a normal EVO or RCV if you aren't a weight weenie) and throw an Avy card in. That's what I would do.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
If you really want the best package, try to get a 2010-2011 EVO ti (or a normal EVO or RCV if you aren't a weight weenie) and throw an Avy card in. That's what I would do.
Why, the evo and cr have identical chassis, your just throwing money away if your putting an avy cart in.

The Evo ti is a different story, you get really expensive springs, a fork coating that last three.three seconds and hamburger worth of weight saved for a mountain of cash.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
The Evo ti is a different story, you get really expensive springs, a fork coating that last three.three seconds and hamburger worth of weight saved for a mountain of cash.
i always hated the nickel coating too, it must be much more sensitive than the black anodization, the works TiN coating isn't much better, is saw in a service video it's flaking around the lower crown clamps.

does nickel coating really suck so much?

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
i always hated the nickel coating too, it must be much more sensitive than the black anodization, the works TiN coating isn't much better, is saw in a service video it's flaking around the lower crown clamps.

I have both nickel coated 888 and black ano... black ano imo is more durable. If I scratch my nickel coated stancions bad enough than I'd probably swap them out for black ano.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Why, the evo and cr have identical chassis, your just throwing money away if your putting an avy cart in.

What i meant is you can get the best chassis for your liking when you buy an older EVO, EVOti or a RCV. Then, if you are not happy with the damping side of things, you are always free to put a AVA cartrdge in there. And the older EVOti's are avalaible for just under 1000 bucks.

always hated the nickel coating too, it must be much more sensitive than the black anodization, the works TiN coating isn't much better, is saw in a service video it's flaking around the lower crown clamps.

Isn't for next year a new coating planned?

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
i've read something about TiN to trickle down into standard Ti models next year but i doubt it, it's a very expensive coating (they apply it over the nickel coated stanchions and that's it's main weakness - superhard ceramic layer over the soft nickel, you hit it, it flakes). it would be super slippery though.

i wish they simply used DLC applied over the standard anodization, there are coating companies that can get this done for $$$.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
i have 3 years on my Evo Ti and i had 2+ years on my WC ATA and never had an issue with the coating at all
I had an 07' 888 wc with the nickle coating and it had quite a bit more sticktion than the regular ones. It was not very durable for me that's for sure.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Hmm, my '08 stanchions with nickel coating are holding up just fine, and don't have any noticeable stiction, either. Maybe the Finishline stanchion lube lowers friction AND protects? ;) Or maybe there was a bad batch of nickel coating?

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
The Avy cart is awesome - as good in small chop and on big hits as the best forks I've ridden, but without the dive during braking or on steep takeoffs. And no slop or leaks, not since the I swapped for the '10 lowers, seals and bushings.