Quantcast

MRP Slalom on an Intense M1 ?

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
More or a technical questions I guess but aimed at DH peeps.

Im after an older style silver MRP Slalom device as i want the 40 teeth size max (not the dh which was 44 or 50), problem is I've found one but the boomerang has the ISCG mounts on it but my frame doesn't will I be able to use this the same way as the BB mounted MRP's or will i have an issue ?

The reason I'm after this info is because the pros used to ride with the ISCG mounts but a lot of them as they rode so hard were hitting roots and stuff and ripping the bolts out and bending the mounts on the frame rendering them useless, so they just used the BB mounted ones from what i can tell or they used the ISCG ones but didnt use them on the mounts.

I got told that the mrp slalom with 2 plates that connect to the cranks cant be used as it was made for chainstays that were elevated but ive seen some pics around like these.
MRP.jpgMRP1.jpg

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
because the pros used to ride with the ISCG mounts but a lot of them as they rode so hard were hitting roots and stuff and ripping the bolts out and bending the mounts on the frame rendering them useless, so they just used the BB mounted ones from what i can tell or they used the ISCG ones but didnt use them on the mounts.
you sir are mis-informed

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
e13 do or did make an adaptor for BB-mount to ISCG, and I'm sure MRP do/did too. Easy solution.

Also, for what it's worth, "elevated chainstays" usually refers to chainstays that run ABOVE the chain, like an Orange 224 or similar. An M1 is not an "elevated chainstay" bike, but that doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't run the two-plate guide; as long as there's enough clearance you'll be fine either way. You aren't really likely to wreck ISCG mounts with one of those guides, those plates bend very easily the moment you clip anything.

On that note, I don't know why you'd run such an old guide anyway (unless you happen to have one lying around and don't want to drop the coin on a new one) - those things are nowhere near as strong or reliable as the current generation of chainguides.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
On that note, I don't know why you'd run such an old guide anyway (unless you happen to have one lying around and don't want to drop the coin on a new one) - those things are nowhere near as strong or reliable as the current generation of chainguides.
Im doing an old school bike build from a poster i used to have on my wall trying to build to thee exact same spec down to the smallest detail:)

I hate how the history of DH is not even that old but theres hardly any replicas to the exact specs or any info floating around on the net.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Im doing an old school bike build from a poster i used to have on my wall trying to build to thee exact same spec down to the smallest detail:)

I hate how the history of DH is not even that old but theres hardly any replicas to the exact specs or any info floating around on the net.
I have an old M1 w/o ISCG tabs and it has an MRP on (sorry, not pics and bike is not near me right now). The back plate is sandwiched under the BB cup and is fixed with a small set screw so it doesn't rotate (works not that well if you hit something hard though). The outer ring is attached to the crank, the inner ring (it actually has a horseshoe shape) is mounted to the back plate, so doesn't rotate when you pedal.
Makes sense?

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
I have an old M1 w/o ISCG tabs and it has an MRP on (sorry, not pics and bike is not near me right now). The back plate is sandwiched under the BB cup and is fixed with a small set screw so it doesn't rotate (works not that well if you hit something hard though). The outer ring is attached to the crank, the inner ring (it actually has a horseshoe shape) is mounted to the back plate, so doesn't rotate when you pedal.
Makes sense?
Yeah I get ya, the one I'm wanting to run thou is the double plate that both spin and just the boomerang is fixed behind the BB, mrp slalom from like 2004

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah I get ya, the one I'm wanting to run thou is the double plate that both spin and just the boomerang is fixed behind the BB, mrp slalom from like 2004
The guide you want doesn't fit an M1. At least I couldn't make it work on a 2000/2001 without screwing up the chainline. The swingarm is in the way. It was used on bikes like e.g. Santa Cruz Super 8 or Mountain Cycle Shockwave.

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
The guide you want doesn't fit an M1. At least I couldn't make it work on a 2000/2001 without screwing up the chainline. The swingarm is in the way. It was used on bikes like e.g. Santa Cruz Super 8 or Mountain Cycle Shockwave.
Yeah thats what im hearing but the pictures i uploaded above are of an m1 so im confused admitilly its a pros world cup build i just cant find any other pics or closer pictures that this as it does not look like its been to modified but i am right in thinking thats the slalon 2 plate chain guide ay ?

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
could it be even thou these chain devices are not meant to fit on bike with chain stays like this because its the slalom and smaller it gets in that extra bit closer so it does not put the chain line out of whack