Quantcast

Mr Dirt and his fork!

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Hi guys!

Do you know if MrDirt himself will still maintain service on his discontinued forks? im in the market looking to buy one of these, if i can find one. But id need to know if he would still service one if i got one.

also, any info from people who have owned and ridden this fork would be apriciated!

thanks! :)

D

Dingus McGee

Contact Bob 'Mr Dirt' Barnett - I think he will still service his forks.

This is his company, but you will have to Google up and email addy......

BNB Machine

1428 E Borchard Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92705
phone: (714) 543-9354

From a UK website:

Mr Dirt USA is a small Californian machine shop Run by Bob Barnett which turns out some of the finest crafted, best designed DH accessories in the world. This guy has been using his CNC machines to create killer DH specific stuff since before most people realised DH was a separate entity!

When Nico Vouilloz, Francois Gachet, Franck Roman, Taillefer, Tomac & Co. were riding on 2 and 3 inch travel single crown forks with centre pull cable operated brakes - Mr Dirt was selling a four inch travel, upside down, dual crown fork with Magura hydraulic specific brake compatability. Before most people had gone beyond adapting household bric-a-brac and front derailleurs in an attempt to keep flailing chains on, Mr Dirt was offering a fully functional, totally adjustable, lightweight chainguide for sale to the downhilling public.

-However he has moved on to bigger fish....................

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bigger fish hu, you mean machining stuff for small companies whose business philosophy is "can't someone else do it." He's probablly one of our vendors for all I know. Turning an R&D/production machine shop into a job shop is like selling your soul. Sure everybody wants them and everybody wants to make money being one but in the long run what do they really do for the industry? What does the machinist care about a part that isn't engineered well if the customer is going to pay reguardless? How can an engineer optomize a design for manufacturing and cost reduction if they don't know what it really cost or how long it takes to machine?

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
No, mr dirt will not do services on their old forks, i've already asked...

here is the e-mail Bob Barnett sent me.:
hi bernard,

i am sorry to inform you that we no longer support
the fat forks. a company in the u.k. has purchased
the manufacturing rights and will offer parts and
service very soon. the name is mojo suspension and
i think they have a website. search on yahoo and i
am sure you will find them. the seals are standard
hydraulic parts from parker hannifin. they are a global
company and if you can find a local dealer for them you
can but the seals for about $4 each. the part number is
8600-0125.
the mojo guys are making the forks again with current
internals and when they get going it will be the best fork
ever.

best regards,
bob

The mojo X-1 is the fork he's talking about...

I have a '97 fat fork for sale if you are interrested, i will sell the fork with the front double wide wheel for cheap...it is setup at 6" and needs to have the seals replaced.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm still running my FAT fork and have only had to change the oil ONCE in the last 4 years. Never a single leak either...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
damn, i was going to say the seals just don't quit on mr dirt forks. Not in the year and a half that I owned one...in fact, I never ever had to do maintenance, and I couldn't have asked for a better fork. There are two problems, one is weight, and the other is offset crowns. The crowns are a problem because the fork tubes interfere with shorter stems. You can either lower the fork tubes, which may make the head tube angle very slack, or raise the stem. I got away with having the tubes almost as low as they could go with a 50 mm stem and protapers. Anything with more sweep or less rise would DEFINATELY create a problem as my bars were almost touching the top of the tubes. If you can get around this, either through a longer stem, hi rise bars, or spacers, the fork will pay serious dividends, as it has saved my ass more than a few times.

When i sold my bike, which included the fork, it was the one thing I was really sad to see go. unfortunately, the Dirt is NOT a good trailbike fork...otherwise, I would've kept it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Sandwich said:
damn, i was going to say the seals just don't quit on mr dirt forks. Not in the year and a half that I owned one...in fact, I never ever had to do maintenance, and I couldn't have asked for a better fork. There are two problems, one is weight, and the other is offset crowns. The crowns are a problem because the fork tubes interfere with shorter stems. You can either lower the fork tubes, which may make the head tube angle very slack, or raise the stem. I got away with having the tubes almost as low as they could go with a 50 mm stem and protapers. Anything with more sweep or less rise would DEFINATELY create a problem as my bars were almost touching the top of the tubes. If you can get around this, either through a longer stem, hi rise bars, or spacers, the fork will pay serious dividends, as it has saved my ass more than a few times.

When i sold my bike, which included the fork, it was the one thing I was really sad to see go. unfortunately, the Dirt is NOT a good trailbike fork...otherwise, I would've kept it.
My 60mm Kore FlopFlop stem works PERFECT. I have the tire-crown distance at exactly 8.25in.