Quantcast

Moving to Loma Linda

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
Hey,

My fiancée got into LLU med school, so I'll be in Loma Linda by August. I'm driving from VA, so I'll probably just have my AM bike (Jekyll) with me at first. Anyone know the state of the DJs at Hulda Crooks? Saw a glimpse of them in a video today, so now I'm wanting to bring my DJ bike as well.

Are there any regular group rides? Any trails in the area I should also look into?

Any other local tips would be great as well.

Thanks!
John

Last edited:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
dirtymike and myself ride there all the time . the dirt jumps are still gnarly and in good shape . your jekyll will be perfect for riding hulda crooks . dirtymike has a cool vid of him riding one of the ladder drops @ hulda from this past monday . i'll ask him to post it to give you a better idea of riding there . august is a little hot for riding there and by that time of year the trails are not in the best shape . but drop me or dirtymike a pm when it gets closer to august and we would be glad to show you around hulda crooks .

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
Great! I'm hoping to find a job and move out before August, but I'll definitely be there in August. Do many people do early-morning or night rides at Hulda in the hot months? I'll give you a shout when I make it out there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hulda is fun, there is some great riding in this area, one side you have sycamore, you have box springs, up the hill you have all of the AO area big bear idawild.... a lot of fun

Mike you sent me the wrong video, you still have that on your phone

Last edited:

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
It's probably going to be a month or two before I move out. I'll be visiting for a couple days next week, but mostly to look for apartments and get a feel for the area. Do you live in Loma Linda/Redlands? Any tips on apartments to check out/avoid? Looks like a lot of apartments out there wouldn't allow my 35-40lb dog... Trying to stay within 5-10miles of LLU so my fiancée can bike in easily.

Thanks!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i am about ten minutes up the road from LL.... Truth be said in this entire area most places will not allow dogs in the first place, let alone anything more than a 20 pound dog...... as far as LL goes really anything is everything..... Pretty standard across the board on apartments....

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
Super... Thanks for the info! I'll hit you up when I make it out there. I've seen a couple vids of Hulda on youtube, looking forward to riding it!

I don't guess there are any trials riders out there? I might leave that bike in VA.
Edit: I know there are/were some in LA.

Last edited:

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
Those all look pretty sweet! I'm looking forward to it. I may be moving out as early as April. I'll let you know when I figure out for sure.

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
Set to move in on March 31! I'll be about a mile from Hulda, so I plan on being there often. Especially before I start working.

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
Sounds great. Also just joined the Hulda Crooks MTB Facebook group. I'll PM you once I get to the area.

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
Finally got settled and fixed my bike (roof rack mishap on I-10 near Palm Springs on my drive out...) Going to try to get out for a ride tomorrow (Wednesday) to check out some trails. Riding any this week?
Caught a glimpse of the dirt jumps while I was at the dog park. They are gnarly!

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
No worries. I have been on a number of runs out there, getting pretty loose and sandy...

Hiked up today and saw that the dirt jumps have been dozed.