Quantcast

More indepth on FOX DH fork

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
I dug up some more info about the new FOX DH fork. That fork looks smoking hot!!!! :drool:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/FOX_FACTORY/FOX_FACTORY.htm (dialup users beware)
... and ...
http://www.mojo.co.uk/foxdh.htm (for a short description)

Go check out the specs... its going to be adjustable from 6 - 8" with spacers (just like other Fox models) along with preload, compression, and dampening adjustment. It sounds like a sweet package: lots of adjustability & lightweight (ca. sub 7 #s). Maybe I'll wait another year until Fox gets the preproduction jitters outta the way, and maybe I'll dump a wad of dough for that fork.

I'm guessing that it'll prolly cost ca. $1400 :confused: Let the speculation machine roll! :D

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
nicklin said:
knowing it's Fox, it would be cheap. Who else has the guts to charge 800 bucks for an XC fork? (ok, not counting the SID WC)
Word. Its the spaz involved behind the name. :think: Granted, they make good front shocks (my ridding buddies have 'em, and I don't, funny is it?), but its weird and yet they still fly off of the shelves like a grocery store on the day before a major blizzard supposingly hits.

I saw a Mock up of one (No internals, so I couldn't compress it damn it) Its friggin huge. Reminds me of a monster T. Not a huge fan of the looks though, I'm not sure if its justs proto outers (But them why would they have a mock up with no internals?) I'll think I'll get one with my new bike next year, fox makes hella good stuff bra'.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IMO, fox forks is one of, if not the best fork company right now. I think their rear shocks have lagged a little, but they have been doing a myriad of things lately, starting with avas and itches, moving to the triad and dhx.

Their forks simply bring out the best about suspension, cartridges that work beatufully, creating a real alternative to marzocchi in terms of suspension action and all out performance. One cool thing about fox can also be said to be their folly; fox doesn't make any "cheap" forks with "cheap" downgraded damping systems in them. The fox vanilla R has the same basic damper as the RLC, it doesn't have the extra two features, but the basic damper is the same and the basic performance is the same. This makes fox's lowest-end fork, the "R", roughly equivalent to the highest end cartridge-damped marzocchis. Of course, they wont get the cheap OEM sales though and that makes up a good amount of business for some of the other companies, but it is refreshing to see a company that doesn't "compramise" on performance.

Fox has had a few issues along the way, but overall they make a product that in my mind is on par with zokes easily, and way better than manitou or rs. They are so well-damped, fairly simply, with a decent chassi. The TALAS is the only air-fork i've ever tried that I really thought was as plush as a coil shock. The Z1SL was kind of close, but not "that" close.

So what's the hoopla about the new DH fork and the new "36"? I think it's that a lot of riders know that fox doesn't compramise performance on their forks, and they do a dang good job with them. They set a very high standard. I've actually gotten to play with an 05 F100x, it's not much diff from the 04, but it looks like their forks are going to drop a few grams across the board....i can't wait untill the 36 is avail, it's everything that I am looking for in a fork right now.

B

bighitfsr

I've read on the forums but cant remeber where that the Fox DH fork has closed dampers similar to mojos boxxer cartridge.
One cart with compression adjustment the other with rebound adjustment.

This goes a long way to explaining how fox have got the weight down.
It also open up a bunch off issues:
- the dampers are going to need to be sent to fox for rebuilds.
You'll most likely not able able too service and internally tune the forks.
- Those legs have huge volume and only a tiny ammount of oil in them.
Your not going to be able stop hard bottom outs in the usual way (via an air spring controller by oil heights). If you need to raise the oil heights to create enough air spring to resist bottoming thats going to add a huge ammount of weight due to the massive volume of 40mm legs. So far my expirience with closed damper systems (TPC+ and the Mojo boxcart) is that they are pretty linear compared to open bath designs that can be tuned via oil heights (marz and boxxer). Even if the damper design increases compression damping thru the stroke of the fork.
- Even with the weight saving carts the chassis is going to be very thin to achive 7lbs.
Apparently its not that difficult to puncture an 888Rs lowers in a crash.
The fox must have even thinner lowers.

Also given that the damper is an entirely different design (closed cart) to the vanilla and talas I wouldnt assume its going to feel like they do.
I think that given that fox are calling it a DH race fork the issues with the thin lowers and bottom out resistance are compromises that are reasonable for a race fork. Just like a dorado your going to have to run stiff springs for drops you cant dial it to be soft for stutters and resist the big hits at the same time. It shouldnt bottom out as easily as the mojo boxxer though as its got two dampers and compression adjustment.

Anyway it looks very promising for its intended application DH racing.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
kidwoo said:
Uh huh. What you said. Cept the dh fork is ugly. Saw a few in person last week. Ugly.

Me trust fox though.
Yeah, I do think that it looks ugly but who cares if it is going to work! Given the choice between two forks
(1) A hot looking DC fork that looks like a Dorado of your desired custom color and it works no better than an old '95 Rock Shox Quadra 21 fork (only has elastomers).
(2) An ugly looking fork that is painted white with pink polka dots on it and it WORKS... soaks up the big hits (doesn't bottom), real buttery with the chatter, and is light.

What would you choose? :think:

I'd go for the ugly one in a heartbeat because it functions. :evil: It doesn't matter who what anybody thinks... I'd rather blow by clone of myself with the hot looking fork and not have to deal with tingling elbows (I get those quite often with crappy forks) after a long one. ;)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
IMO Boxxer are superior. Mine never leaked once even after over 2000 trips to Starbucks. I also make sure I drink my coffee before heading back so I don't loose a drop.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Acadian said:
IMO Boxxer are superior. Mine never leaked once even after over 2000 trips to Starbucks. I also make sure I drink my coffee before heading back so I don't loose a drop.
Who are you trying to kid?
You actually carried your bike to Starbucks because you were afraid that the tires would get dirty. :p

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Joe Pozer said:
Who are you trying to kid?
You actually carried your bike to Starbucks because you were afraid that the tires would get dirty. :p
no no no no...You got it all wrong Carlos. I was just trying to avoid flat spotting another rim, which was cutting into my Espresso budget! ;)

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Acadian said:
no no no no...You got it all wrong Carlos. I was just trying to avoid flat spotting another rim, which was cutting into my Espresso budget! ;)
You should learn Brian's cyclocross technique so you can jump off curbs instead of dropping them. That way you won't flat spot so many rims. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Joe Pozer said:
You should learn Brian's cyclocross technique so you can jump off curbs instead of dropping them. That way you won't flat spot so many rims. :D
One of these days I want to make an "extreme" video with "extreme" music with people dropping off of curbs, getting like 2" of air, etc...I think it would be hilarous..

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Jm_ said:
One of these days I want to make an "extreme" video with "extreme" music with people dropping off of curbs, getting like 2" of air, etc...I think it would be hilarous..
make sure the riders in that vid are using Boxxers and do close-ups of the seals as they go through the 2" or travel...capture the "spritz" of oil coming out! :D

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Acadian said:
make sure the riders in that vid are using Boxxers and do close-ups of the seals as they go through the 2" or travel...capture the "spritz" of oil coming out! :D
Perhaps someone should put together a vid of DHers in the bay area. They should close down the streets where the trolleys pass through and release the DHers and let 'em own the street. :devil: Flying down one of those steep streets... and catching some air. How cool would that be? Lots of views of the sky and the streets! :drool:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
cali4niabiker said:
Perhaps someone should put together a vid of DHers in the bay area. They should close down the streets where the trolleys pass through and release the DHers and let 'em own the street. :devil: Flying down one of those steep streets... and catching some air. How cool would that be? Lots of views of the sky and the streets! :drool:
that would be "hella" cool...

Didn't they have some sort of segment like that on one of the Superhero's video? With Mark Weir and co.?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Acadian said:
better idea, NO seals so it shoots out with every compression!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If you like seeing weenies riding bikes thinking they're all extreme check out Urban Wussies at www.60hzproductions.com. It was shot with a digital camera using the video recording capabillities. It's pretty good considering the talent and equipment available at the time. I'm the guy on the green chameleon, AzonicBruce is on the black Bullit and the TransRed Chameleon. The video was filmed mostly in the summer and fall of '02, I'm way more 3xtr33m now!

http://www.60hzproductions.com/Thumbs/UWvid.jpg

Please right click and save as.