Quantcast

>>Monday GMT<<

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Off to Orlando for a robotics conference. The atlantic can't rise fast enough to save my week.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Rode Bootleg with my brother Friday and Saturday. He's just getting into the whole DH/biking thing. Played blackjack Friday night and won $300. Ate at the buffet at the Cosmopolitan. Came home and got my own bed to myself with no wife or kid Saturday night. Slept in Sunday, detailed my Tundra to remove Bootleg gnar. Picked up wife's new(used) Volvo XC90 to replace her econobox. Bought from original owners. Wanted a wagon, this was too clean to pass up. Wife is happy with an SUV. Picture of Bootleg and said Volvo.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
No :(. I looked for a wagon for a while and couldn't find anything reasonable. This came up from original owners in Newport Coast. All maintenance done including the timing belt done early, recent full brake job and tires. 100K on it and it looks almost brand new. Hard to pass up a creampuff that still fits the bill. I still might actually buy a wagon to drive to work instead of my Tundra all the time. Then I can buy a manual too...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
No :(. I looked for a wagon for a while and couldn't find anything reasonable. This came up from original owners in Newport Coast. All maintenance done including the timing belt done early, recent full brake job and tires. 100K on it and it looks almost brand new. Hard to pass up a creampuff that still fits the bill. I still might actually buy a wagon to drive to work instead of my Tundra all the time. Then I can buy a manual too...
No - I'm just saying... that IS a wagon.

When did wagons get classified as SUVs?

F**king world is going cracker-dog. :mad:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Is it a T6 with Geartronic transmission?
Negative, the 2.5T. Not a powerhouse, but it's ok. It's faster than my wife's CT200h (Prius), but that's not saying much.

Wagon/SUV, I'm trying to keep up with the lingo. I still would have preferred an actual wagon like the V70, but alas, I can't be too much a dick about letting my wife drive what she wants. She likes it, we can actually fit more than one baby seat in there and it was cheap. If it lasts longer than a year without imploding, I'll be ahead of the game.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Holy $hit... GOLD:

"from Subaru, noted manufacturer of replacement head gaskets and, occasionally, automobiles."

:rofl:
I freaking love Jalopnik. DeMuro pretty much always seems to catch a shit storm over most of his posts, but he always makes me laugh. Most of the guys on there are pretty good. Way better than reading crap like Car and Driver.

Good for you. The T6/Geartronic drivetrain is a match from hell. The 2.5T is a much better option.
I've heard the T6 had more issues. This is my first Volvo, but they seem to get good reviews. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how well it drives for being 11 years old. Nicer than quite a few newer cars I've driven. Very quiet, smooth and tight.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are you going to take your kids to Disney World?

Nope.

However I do encourage all old people, fatties, golfers and people with annoying children to go to florida, and stay there, forever. This place is a perfect location for Americas puss to drain.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Nope.

However I do encourage all old people, fatties, golfers and people with annoying children to go to florida, and stay there, forever. This place is a perfect location for Americas puss to drain.
Try this just for entertainment - go to Epcot and proceed to get SHITFACED and then stagger around making a general a$$ of yourself. I think you might have a good time. I mean... as good of a time as you might be able to have in Florida.

Fuck that place sucks.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I had an amazing weekend and feel rested and relaxed after my 2 day vacation. It's 4/20, bitches.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Westy: Puss != pus.

I rode in today and it was ok. Thankfully my brain is quiet today after chattering away hypomanically all weekend--see prior posts about writing a paper while on call, etc.

Once I don't have to crank out papers wholesale for promotion the criteria then become much more vague, about national recognition and service and the like. At that point I think I'll kick back and do less in general. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I freaking love Jalopnik. DeMuro pretty much always seems to catch a shit storm over most of his posts, but he always makes me laugh. Most of the guys on there are pretty good. Way better than reading crap like Car and Driver.
As a daily reader of Jalopnik, I can vouch for what Kazlx is saying about DeMuro. There is so much gold in his posts, especially his CarMax and Ferrari related posts. His YouTube channel has some good videos, as well.

I feel completely out of it today. I drank way too much beer over the weekend.

Went to a Jays game on Saturday. Did anyone notice how nice the weather was? Not a cloud in the sky here. Apparently the Jays didn't get the memo and kept the stadium roof closed. Lame.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As a daily reader of Jalopnik, I can vouch for what Kazlx is saying about DeMuro. There is so much gold in his posts, especially his CarMax and Ferrari related posts. His YouTube channel has some good videos, as well.

I feel completely out of it today. I drank way too much beer over the weekend.

Went to a Jays game on Saturday. Did anyone notice how nice the weather was? Not a cloud in the sky here. Apparently the Jays didn't get the memo and kept the stadium roof closed. Lame.

His CarMax Range Rover stories were also pretty epic.

@DougDeMuro is the author of Plays With Cars. He owned an E63 AMG wagon and once tried to evade police at the Tail of the Dragon using a pontoon boat. (It didn't work.) He worked as a manager for Porsche Cars North America before quitting to become a writer, largely because it meant he no longer had to wear pants. Also, he wrote this entire bio himself in the third person.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I think DeMuro writes a ton of tongue in cheek stuff knowing he'll get rabid responses. He gets traffic from people laughing to see what he's up to as well as to come tear him a new one for whatever reason.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Hit maine yesterday to check out some property/see how wet it is after the thaw.
Areas we'd build on were solid, dogs approved of the sandy bay and 12' huck into the ocean, and overall it'd be a nice place to circle the wagons and kill trespassers.
Followed up the property hike with some poutine, lobster rolls and a couple local IPAs before rallying home at days end.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Sun came out, so I decided to go for a road ride. I almost died.

Dear commercial dump truck driver,
Thank you for giving me less than a foot of room while you passed me on my bicycle this morning. The air horn you used while passing was a nice touch. I especially appreciated how you stopped at the intersection and rolled down your window to tell me what a "fucking idiot" I am and how I "don't belong on the road." Being able to give your individual truck number, prominently displayed right above the name of your employer, to both your supervisor and the duty Sergeant at the Stetson Hills Police sub-station really was the highlight of my morning. I hope you get fired today, you fucking douchebag.

Sincerely,
Shane

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sun came out, so I decided to go for a road ride. I almost died.

Dear commercial dump truck driver,
Thank you for giving me less than a foot of room while you passed me on my bicycle this morning. The air horn you used while passing was a nice touch. I especially appreciated how you stopped at the intersection and rolled down your window to tell me what a "fucking idiot" I am and how I "don't belong on the road." Being able to give your individual truck number, prominently displayed right above the name of your employer, to both your supervisor and the duty Sergeant at the Stetson Hills Police sub-station really was the highlight of my morning. I hope you get fired today, you fucking douchebag.

Sincerely,
Shane
can't wait for part II

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sucks about the truck driver, Shane. The feeling of being powerless to douche-drivers like that is the thing I like least about biking on the road.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
much win in the med center parking lot.. just watched granny back out of a handcapped parking space a tag a light pole. a blond back her bmw into a passing box truck, and a paratransit driver pushing a wheel chair trying to get it through a door cluless that the chrome pad with a wheel chair logo two feet from him is an automatic door opener ( yes I was an ass and just sat back and watched trying not to laugh).

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
much win in the med center parking lot.. just watched granny back out of a handcapped parking space a tag a light pole. a blond back her bmw into a passing box truck, and a paratransit driver pushing a wheel chair trying to get it through a door cluless that the chrome pad with a wheel chair logo two feet from him is an automatic door opener ( yes I was an ass and just sat back and watched trying not to laugh).
no one crashed through a mellon stand, then hit a fire hydrant only after crashing through a piece plate glass being carried across the street by two workmen?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Florida has some good spots if you look. I am sure there are some good food to be found even in Orlando and some women you can pump drink into @Westy.
Conference for work. I am pretty much a captive until my ride back to the airport shows up Thursday morning. My day is scheduled from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. 99% of the other attendees are fat grey haired dudes.