Quantcast

Missy Giove update?

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
So, boredom at work led to a "where are they now" discussion and The Missle came up. We all heard of her getting busted with 400# of cheeb, but nothing since then.

Anyone have any updates on her situation? The freemissy.com site doesnt seem to be up any longer. Sentencing was supposed to be this past March...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I heard: serving 7 yr sentence….if you want to go visit her, you have to put your phone numbers down with the DEA as they will tap your lines.

(got this info from the most credible source in MTBing)

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
One of my friends recently had a Facebook update that he saw her at Snowshoe (?). Guess that was a joke or something?

I was playing Trivial Pursuit with a group of 8 people last Saturday and got the question "What downhill mountain biker is known as 'The Missle"? I thought it was funny that I was the only one out of the group bikes and I actually got the question.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Yeah as stick said she's doin some jail time for that drug bust unfortunately. Drkenan, she was at Snowshoe not too long before she got busted. Maybe last season or the season before? Probably the season before...

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Word is she was at Snowshoe Labor day week end. As is in not in jail. Person who had a conversation with her is a member here. If he has any info worth adding I am sure he will chime in.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
One of my friends recently had a Facebook update that he saw her at Snowshoe
That was no joke my friend. Here's the story:

I was riding with mtbrobnc and a couple others at snowshoe on labor day weekend. On saturday I was rolling through the village and I saw a tiny baglady-ish dressed woman pushing a white foes holding another womans hand. I thought to myself, "self, I think that is Missy Giove". As I rolled by I noticed the name on the white Foes....Missy Giove. I thought to myself "I wonder when she got out?".

The next day, robmtnbikernc, his friend Taro and I finished up lunch. I decided to go take a run while Taro went to starbucks and ncmtnbikerrob slept off his lunch while others around him played cornhole. I rode the lift back up and rolled around to find them and I heard a woman say, "Hey, how do you like your Sinister"(I have an fbomb). I turned around and it was non other than Missy Giove, still dressed baglady-ish, wearing mirrored oakley googles. I played it off like I didn't know who I was talking to until a few minutes in and I said "I'm Jacob by the way" knowing full well who I was talking to. She says "I'm Missy". We continue to talk about my bike and I tell her it was built by Frank the Welder. She say "Oh ****! Frank used to build my bike when I rode for Yeti. I'm calling him tomorrow". As the conversation goes on I'm a little uncomfortable as she's wearing googles and I'm not. So I put my googles on. We continue talking about bikes and how rear derailleurs are similar to riding with your balls dangling freely. So the conversation ends and I said it was nice to meet you and said it was nice to meet her wife and continued on my way.

I thought it would probably be really out of place to ask when she got out.....

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That was no joke my friend. Here's the story:

I was riding with mtbrobnc and a couple others at snowshoe on labor day weekend. On saturday I was rolling through the village and I saw a tiny baglady-ish dressed woman pushing a white foes holding another womans hand. I thought to myself, "self, I think that is Missy Giove". As I rolled by I noticed the name on the white Foes....Missy Giove. I thought to myself "I wonder when she got out?".

The next day, robmtnbikernc, his friend Taro and I finished up lunch. I decided to go take a run while Taro went to starbucks and ncmtnbikerrob slept off his lunch while others around him played cornhole. I rode the lift back up and rolled around to find them and I heard a woman say, "Hey, how do you like your Sinister"(I have an fbomb). I turned around and it was non other than Missy Giove, still dressed baglady-ish, wearing mirrored oakley googles. I played it off like I didn't know who I was talking to until a few minutes in and I said "I'm Jacob by the way" knowing full well who I was talking to. She says "I'm Missy". We continue to talk about my bike and I tell her it was built by Frank the Welder. She say "Oh ****! Frank used to build my bike when I rode for Yeti. I'm calling him tomorrow". As the conversation goes on I'm a little uncomfortable as she's wearing googles and I'm not. So I put my googles on. We continue talking about bikes and how rear derailleurs are similar to riding with your balls dangling freely. So the conversation ends and I said it was nice to meet you and said it was nice to meet her wife and continued on my way.

I thought it would probably be really out of place to ask when she got out.....
Thats like the long drawn out no details to last nights date....;)

Think your getting the goods and Nope..... Good update though and yeah asking her would be tacky Id have asked and scanned the ankles for court jewelry but thats me!:thumb:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Why is it called 'serving'? that makes it sound like she wants to be there. Last time I checked the New York and Federal inmate search she did not come up int he database.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Word is she was at Snowshoe Labor day week end. As is in not in jail. Person who had a conversation with her is a member here. If he has any info worth adding I am sure he will chime in.
prison might have given her a leave i guess

i heard the same thing stik did from probably the same source

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Just checked the local paper, as she was arrested in my area.This came out the end of Aug:
http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/Wilton-pot-bust-tests-feds-633987.php

The drug delivery was part of a distribution conspiracy that began in 2006, according to Giove's plea agreement. Giove could have faced up to 40 years in prison and a fine of up to $2 million. But under the plea agreement, Giove agreed she would not appeal any sentence of more than 60 months behind bars.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
She was supposed to be sentenced in March. The DA requested it to be delayed to June. Then in June, the DA requested it to be postponed again. My guess is that she is cooporating with the DA on the case.

Missy's number is changed and I haven't heard from her since the initial arrest.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Can anyone shed some light on the circumstances the led to her being caught up in this? Quick cash? In a tight spot with debt? Someone once mentioned - years ago - that while her father was her manager, he funneled funds to dead-end investments and nearly bankrupt her. I don't know real numbers, but she must have had a decent six-figure contract in the mid-to-late '90s.

I've seen similar situations, but I assume you don't go from non-involvement to moving that weight overnight. Or, maybe you do, and the reason I don't know is the reason I'm not rich.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
more like a 7 figure income
Palmer in a MotoX interview said he got close to $1 million over three years from the big S. I dont know the numbers either but would be really amazing if Missy made more money than he did that year.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I dont know the numbers either but would be really amazing if Missy made more money than he did that year.
maybe the 3 national titles, 2 world cup overalls and 1 world championship added to her salary?

edit:
to stay fit in the off-season, Palmer started downhill mountain-bike racing in 1995. In July 1996, he won first place in the downhill at the NORBA national championships, at Big Bear Lake, California. A month later, he came in second at the 1996 World Cup, in France. He went on to win the dual-slalom world championships, in Australia, in September, which landed him a $300,000 annual contract with Specialized, making Palmer the highest-paid mountain biker in the world.
http://outsideonline.com/outside/culture/200902/shaun-palmer-olympics-1.html?page=2

Last edited:

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
As I heard it (credible industry source) she had something like a $450k contract...plus other endorsements, sponsors, etc.

She was definitely one of the highest paid cycling pros, man or woman, at the time.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I did a report on Cannondale Race team budget back in the mid 90’s for a business class in College. Her, Miles R, and Tinker were the 3 highest paid racers on the team. They all got paid about $700K a year each just from Cannondale. Now each of these riders had other sponsors paying them big $$$ too. The rest of the team 4 more racers along with driver, techs, and mangers total budget was about $750K.

Cecil

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
AC didnt wear a dead piranha round her neck and have dreads though so your point is moot. Everyone knows that the means to high income employment is a dead fish and dreads

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
AC didnt wear a dead piranha round her neck and have dreads though so your point is moot. Everyone knows that the means to high income employment is a dead fish and dreads
All those good investment opportunities that were presented to her over the years. Oh wait she had a dead Piranha around her neck and dreads. Crap I could have found here a 10-15% investment over a 10-15 year period with pay outs each 1/4 during the late 90s. She needed financial guidance big time!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I thought so. She hasn't even been sentenced yet.

http://saratogian.com/articles/2010/09/21/news/doc4c9974532bc48116461356.txt

Giove sentencing adjourned, again

Published: Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ALBANY — The sentencing for mountain biker Melissa “Missy” Giove — who pleaded guilty to felony marijuana possession in December — has been adjourned again until Dec. 1. The sentencing will occur in U.S. District Court in Albany.

Giove, 37, was arrested by federal agents in Wilton in June 2009 and charged with possession of nearly 400 pounds of marijuana.

She faces up to 40 years in prison and a $2 million fine.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
i thought she looked curiously like josh bryceland with cornrows....

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Hate to bring up an old thread, but she was at one of our local races this past weekend. She was fun to talk to and went under the false name of Mary Jane! She has some good humor!

She never served time, but got 5 years parole.

-Brett

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hate to bring up an old thread, but she was at one of our local races this past weekend. She was fun to talk to and went under the false name of Mary Jane! She has some good humor!

She never served time, but got 5 years parole.

-Brett
That was one hell of a plea bargain / cooperation agreement. It pays to lawyer up!