Quantcast

Michelin Rockr - any reviews?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So i got them as a gift. Are they worth running? Any advantages and possible terrain they are good in?

Also where do I find what rubber they are made from?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
These are the updated DH24 from what I can tell. They took out the extra knobs that everyone would clip off (and hopefully fixed the rotation arrow lolol) so they should work pretty well. Plus they are tubeless ready so that's a bonus if you swing that way.

Could not find the rubber compound info on the Michey site but I remember a few of the bike sites did reviews when they first dropped (dirt maybe?).

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
Side knobs are biffy on my gripr. I wouldnt worry. I'd like to get a rockr on hands.

I see its 1st version. 2nd looks a lot better.

Save old gen tires for trail or so. 1kg tires do stuffs properly :)

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Dave Trumpore wrote a pretty good review here: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Tires,48/Michelin/Wild-RockR2-Advanced-Reinforced,13671

I just spent a weekend in Whistler on the set of the Magix RockR2's. Thanks to a mixed bag of weather, I got to ride them on bone-dry AND pretty wet trails. Prior to that, I rode them for a few months in Southern California which is pretty much a rocky sandpit.

Overall, I think they're pretty good. I felt the compound works well in both dry & wet weather, and I've not yet flatted either tire (~28psi) so I'm either lucky, or that's a positive indication of durability. The tread pattern becomes a bit of a liability once the trails get super wet though, so I would not recommend if the trails you ride get very wet & stay wet (although, they do clear mud fairly well once you do get rollin'). If you need something that handles a bit better when it gets wetter, a Magic Mary is probably a better way to go.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Dave Trumpore wrote a pretty good review here: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Tires,48/Michelin/Wild-RockR2-Advanced-Reinforced,13671

I just spent a weekend in Whistler on the set of the Magix RockR2's. Thanks to a mixed bag of weather, I got to ride them on bone-dry AND pretty wet trails. Prior to that, I rode them for a few months in Southern California which is pretty much a rocky sandpit.

Overall, I think they're pretty good. I felt the compound works well in both dry & wet weather, and I've not yet flatted either tire (~28psi) so I'm either lucky, or that's a positive indication of durability. The tread pattern becomes a bit of a liability once the trails get super wet though, so I would not recommend if the trails you ride get very wet & stay wet (although, they do clear mud fairly well once you do get rollin'). If you need something that handles a bit better when it gets wetter, a Magic Mary is probably a better way to go.
You are speaking about the new model which seems to have a more reasonable tread pattern. I have the previous model which looks not inspiring to be honest.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Norbar. the tire that you posted a pic of is the wildrock'r in 2.25. Where it gets tricky with Michelin is that the 2.35 version is a totally different tire and rubber compound as well. The 2.35 is as grippy of a tire as you could possible want in all conditions but mud. I actually run those tires on my dh bike in dry conditions and love them. I have also ran the 2.25 version on my trail bike. It is a BIG round tire for a 2.25. It will grip fine in medium conditions, but the rubber compound is not the best. If you are looking for a great all around trail tire (non 1,000g tire), the best one Michelin makes is the 27.5 Wildgrip'r 2.35. It weighs 800 grams and is big, grippy, and durable. I have had the same set on my bike since April without touching them, and I like them for all conditions. I can't run the 2.35 wildrock'r as a trail tire because they are little too weighty for all the rolling trails I ride.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Norbar. the tire that you posted a pic of is the wildrock'r in 2.25. Where it gets tricky with Michelin is that the 2.35 version is a totally different tire and rubber compound as well. The 2.35 is as grippy of a tire as you could possible want in all conditions but mud. I actually run those tires on my dh bike in dry conditions and love them. I have also ran the 2.25 version on my trail bike. It is a BIG round tire for a 2.25. It will grip fine in medium conditions, but the rubber compound is not the best. If you are looking for a great all around trail tire (non 1,000g tire), the best one Michelin makes is the 27.5 Wildgrip'r 2.35. It weighs 800 grams and is big, grippy, and durable. I have had the same set on my bike since April without touching them, and I like them for all conditions. I can't run the 2.35 wildrock'r as a trail tire because they are little too weighty for all the rolling trails I ride.
Thanks for the info. I have a 2.5'' tire with a very similar tread pattern. What I'm not sure about are the side knobs which look thinner than on the rockr2

What I have is an ust ready 2.5'' downhill tire, it is huge and it's 26''. I killed my rear tire and I need to decide what to use on my euro bikepark trip. Will the side knobs break traction fast? The rubber may be crap since most of the weather I expect is uber dusty.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
Oh my God.its like asking if one could ride own tire. Da#£ experiment, enjoy .for example I have wildracer, knubby little sideknobs and it works. Depends where and own expectations.

If kidwoo or ray say unriddable, actually it is unriddable.unless you're xc weightwennie.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Oh my God.its like asking if one could ride own tire. Da#£ experiment, enjoy .for example I have wildracer, knubby little sideknobs and it works. Depends where and own expectations.

If kidwoo or ray say unriddable, actually it is unriddable.unless you're xc weightwennie.
With limited space in the car I can take so many tires and I can only sell it to some idiot as new. Also have you ever added anything meaningful to the discusion or did you simply join RM to rant out of context and show your fight against basic grammar?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Norbar, I wold not use that 2.5 on the rear if you can help it. It is pretty much the same size as the old Michy 2.8 Comp 32. I did run that exact tire you have on the front, and it worked fine in the dry.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Norbar, I wold not use that 2.5 on the rear if you can help it. It is pretty much the same size as the old Michy 2.8 Comp 32. I did run that exact tire you have on the front, and it worked fine in the dry.
Thanks. It looks really huge. Wouldn't trust the side knobs (they are rather thin and narrow) as a front tire.