Quantcast

Metallic or semi-metallic?

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
for me i always run the gold body color pads regardless of the brand name these are typically sintered and they squeal the least amount and get good life

Last edited:

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Which ones are the quieter ones? Which ones wear out quicker? Thanks EC
Semi-metallic pads are mostly resin with a metallic substance added in an organic pad. They wear less than organic, are quieter than sintered, transmit less heat to the caliper than sintered and wear the rotor less than sintered but they are still resin based so will still suffer some when wet.

Sintred pads are recommended for riding in wet, muddy, or dusty conditions. Also better on a long descend. Although they are more noisy, and do not have as much of an initial bite as organic pads, you will notice the increased performance at the end of your run. They push the heat into the caliper instead of the rotor so you will get less brakefade. (works better under high temperature.) Will last alot longer but can be more noisy.

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
I've been riding Uberbike racematrix pads.

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/426/View-all-Race-Matrix-Disc-Brake-Pads-here

They're quiet and have a nice organic feeling bite. All around, they're better than the half-worn shimano sintered pads they replaced. Can't comment on longevity yet, but they are only like $30 delivered for two sets.

If you email them they'll remove the VAT (local tax) added to the price on the website (as long as you live outside of the UK), and email you a paypal request for the reduced price.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Bit of a weird one here, I run both.

One organic and one full sintered.
They wear about 2:1, so i buy two pairs of organic and one sintered.

Best of both worlds, nice initial progressiveness, good bite and fade resistance.

just some thing else to thing about.