Quantcast

Meet Layla

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Picked her up Friday. She's a bit over a year old. As a rescue, we can't really be sure. She's a border collie - pointer mix.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
how does the cat tolerate her??
Doesn't care. She likes dogs more than cats anyways. They aren't bothered by each other at all.

I'll post more pics when I can get her to stand still long enough.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
8-10 years.
We took her for a walk today and she pulls hard. We need to do obedience training for sure. I was on my bike, as it's easier than walking right now. Put in about a mile at a quick pace and finally wore her out some.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm a fan of the Gentle Leader. Mazda never needed one, but Denver pulls like a damn sled dog, even with all the extra obedience training we've given that dog, he still hasn't gotten over pulling. The gentle leader brings him back to a manageable walking pace.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm a fan of the Gentle Leader. Mazda never needed one, but Denver pulls like a damn sled dog, even with all the extra obedience training we've given that dog, he still hasn't gotten over pulling. The gentle leader brings him back to a manageable walking pace.
Good call.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Good save!

Moose hated that lead...but it makes him alot easier to work with. +1 on the obedience training. I resisted, the Frau insisted...you know who won. But like everything else, when she is right, she is right. Moose is getting easier to work with daily...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Picked her up Friday. She's a bit over a year old. As a rescue, we can't really be sure. She's a border collie - pointer mix.

i hope throwing a ball won't affect your back.....

four hours of my younger brothers day...every day...is usually spent at the dog park with his border collie....two hours before work....two hours after...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Something I found that really helps with dogs that pull is getting a more vertical leash angle. The shorter the leash the better here. If they pull, it lifts their front legs off of the ground.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was about to say in Westy's case it's more sexual deviance than religion..... But then I realized it's Westy and that is kinda a religion for him.
Please do not confuse my deviance with that of mandown's.

Purposely putting hooks through living flesh is just wrong. Chopping up hookers that passed in the line of duty is simply a way of showing respect for a job well done.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i hope throwing a ball won't affect your back.....

four hours of my younger brothers day...every day...is usually spent at the dog park with his border collie....two hours before work....two hours after...
Sadly, she doesn't know how to play. We're working on it though.

That being said, I'm about halfway through her two mile morning walk. There is a large dog park. 25 miles from our house the she will have somewhat free range at once we get her coming to us on command.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Please don't use a retractable leash. Short leash and use a steel prong collar, they work VERY well when you give a quick tug and they learn fast when you command and use it.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Please don't use a retractable leash. Short leash and use a steel prong collar, they work VERY well when you give a quick tug and they learn fast when you command and use it.
Please don't ever put a pronged collar on a dog. My Rottie was service certified using a flat (leather or synthetic) collar and flat lead. But she was about 80% off lead trained before she was certified.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Please don't ever put a pronged collar on a dog. My Rottie was service certified using a flat (leather or synthetic) collar and flat lead. But she was about 80% off lead trained before she was certified.
That is the plan. There is a company here called "Sit means sit" that we will probably use. Just looking at cost. Also need to do rattlesnake training.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Congrats! We enjoy the crazy energy our Red Heeler Mix brings (most days). Right now he's in a naughty phase. After a year and a half...he keeps stealing the girls things. Doesn't necessarily chew them up, just takes them and puts them outside on the deck or in the yard. I think he needs more exercise (so do I) so we are working on training him to ride with us. Tonight we go out to the trails (Spier Falls) for a workout (both of us).