Quantcast

Maybe Enduro was just a fad...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I can't figure this out...is it more about National Federation and trying to control it? That series was super successful from all appearances, there's got to be more than they're saying....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I can't figure this out...is it more about National Federation and trying to control it? That series was super successful from all appearances, there's got to be more than they're saying....
Yeah, I have to wonder the same....enduro by all accounts seems to be very popular, I know it is harder to coordinate than DH from a timing, staging, layout perspective, but it seems that the popularity is outweighing the negatives.....will be interesting to watch this play out.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Yeah, I have to wonder the same....enduro by all accounts seems to be very popular, I know it is harder to coordinate than DH from a timing, staging, layout perspective, but it seems that the popularity is outweighing the negatives.....will be interesting to watch die.
fixed

just kidding.......

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Don't think of enduro as a competitor to DH. Think of it as replacing XC. Sounds better now, doesn't it? In reality it is much closer. They're both trail riding in the backcountry on trail bikes.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Apart from over here where half the time we're racing enderpos down trails steeper than DH races use.

The UK ENDURO series is threatening to implode by changing the rules this year to make full facers mandatory along with making riders take out their own personal accident insurance

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Apart from over here where half the time we're racing enderpos down trails steeper than DH races use.

The UK ENDURO series is threatening to implode by changing the rules this year to make full facers mandatory along with making riders take out their own personal accident insurance
Welcome to the united states of litigation.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i think the whole marketing thing ruined it for me. but i cant stand the term 'enduro'.

to me there are three kinds of mtb: XC, AM, and DH. that is all i care to know.

endurbro is just a kind of AM racing to me with stages. i dont race, so im probably wrong.. but, i also dont care. :thumb:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
One of the dudes said this : "What we really don't want is being forced to agree to compromises between the needs of the riders, those of the destinations and the available budget". To me that sounds like the root of the problem. Maybe some of the destinations were starting to get a little greedy? Who knows though, it was hard to figure out why they're shuttin'er down by reading that article.

to be honest, I'm not sure what to think anymore. When the EWS was announced, I was pretty pumped, it seemed like a cool idea. I even participated in a local enduro event, and it was pretty fun, no doubt. But I'm kinda getting sick of the word, and even the amount of coverage it gets. It's friggin' everywhere, and it seems it's all anyone ever talks about. And that makes me sad a bit because I feel it's a little boring to watch, whereas DH is waaaaay moar better. But no one talks about it?! What's up with that?!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
good for you guys, this discussion isn't about marketing, it's about the race format, which is actually pretty fun to do once in a while.
I have not actually competed in an enduro race, timing just hasn't worked out. I do agree that the format would be very fun. I have had some "bro rides" where we had pre set stages we went out and raced each other on...so I feel ya.

That said, I almost wonder if the whole "enduro" thing got too big for its britches too fast. While I think its a viable format, I wonder if part of the demise or possible demise was do in part to the marketing.

Not that enduro will go away, it appears like a popular format that should stick around, just a thought anyway....hell, it's -9 F at my house right now, all I can do is ride my laptop, cause lord knows I am not going outside unless I have to.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Finger on the pulse as usual sherlock..

Where did you think my new lowers came from? Fashion cyclists do have their uses.;)