Maxxis non UST on UST rims?

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
What's the final word?

Do they work well?
Any long term problem (tire unbedding?)
Are they inflatable with a floor pump like a michelin?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Mani_UT said:
What's the final word?

Do they work well?

some people have been successful, but I tried and wasn't able to get them to inflate. :(

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I tried some non UST Highrollers on some 729s with a Stan's strip, soap, and Stan's fluid. I could not get them to bead because the rim has some serious dings in the rim sidewall, even using a air compressor. I feel certain that a undamaged rim would have been no problem. The reason being is that the only place air/soap/Stan's was escaping was from at the damaged location. However using this same rim and Stan's setup I can pump up a Maxxis UST tire with a hand pump without soap or Stan's fluid.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Manny, if you switch to Maxxis, I will tell the French goverment and they will revoke your Visa.

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
Mani_UT said:
What's the final word?

Do they work well?

Works great. I have Mavic 823s with a non-UST 2.7 Minion slow reezay on front, and 2.5 High Roller on back, loaded with stan's spoo. To get the Maxxis beads to set, it helps to wipe soapy water around both beads- I guess the surface tension of the water helps stick the bead to the rim when you are inflating with a compressor. The soap tells you where the leaks are during sealing.

I live in LA and it's really dry, so I have to add additional stans every 3 months or so. But that is the only maintainance I have had to do.

I don't know why others are having problems. The system works great for me and about 10 other people that I ride with on a regular basis. Watch the video on the notubes.com site for a demo.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
profro said:
My understanding is that the soapy water helps the bead to slide along the rubber rim strip out to the rim, so it will bead against the sidewall.
There is no rim strip on the 823 though!

Compressor heh?

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
i couldn't get swampthings non-ust swapthings to work with my d3.1s.

however why not simply buy UST maxxis tyres?