Quantcast

Max air pressure for a PIKE 454 Air U-Turn

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So, I'm 257 at the moment, and wound up getting the air version as the heavy spring felt quite smooshy in the coil!

The chart in the manual shows 220lbs or greater use 175psi.

Thats not doing it!

I ask because I know there are other big riders out there who must be using more pressure, and Im ISO a safe maximum.

Funny detail is the chart for Air U-Turn maxes at 175psi, but there is no comment beneath as with the chart for solo air which maxes at 180psi, but has a caveat under the chart saying 'do not exceed 220'

Rambling post coming to an end: anyone have experience with running higher pressure? will my fork explode? (I am 257 without my gear, and hitting small to medium drops and jumps.

:)

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I've got the exact same fork on my trailbike and I'm north of 250lbs. I used to run the coil U-turn with the stiffest spring they had and it was nowhere near stiff enough, even with tons of compression.

I've been running way more than 175psi the whole time I've owned it. I think I'm running somewhere around 230psi top and bottom. I prefer a very stiff front end on my bikes, and I know I'm running it with 15mm sag (in a forward, standing riding stance) with lots of compression.

No problems yet after a year of riding - including a lot of long DH descents and jump trails. For a trailbike, I think this fork is hard to beat! Definitely stiffer than a Fox 32 QR15