Quantcast

Mavic 2005: Very Round, Very Yellow and Very Strong

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Sir_Crackien said:
they are ust for sure. look at the upper right in the pic there are no spoke nipple holes! and lok that the valve that it a ust valve
ya ya...I didn't noticed that. I was judging them by the nipples - there doesn’t seem to be any nipple adapters like the D3.1/EX823's?

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Acadian said:
they don't appear to be UST tho?
Looks to me like the rim isn't drilled all the way through, meaning they are UST. I've seen these on Minnar's bike this year. I hope they are stronger than the 823s, which seem to square up fairly easily.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
1soulrider said:
I hope they are stronger than the 823s, which seem to square up fairly easily.
tell me about it... :(

Hope those are the ones I will get as a replacement for the 3 I toasted! :thumb:

BTW...too bad you couldn't come to Whistler with us...Kevin should already be there by now! I'm leaving in a hour..

VAVAVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Acadian said:
ya ya...I didn't noticed that. I was judging them by the nipples - there doesn’t seem to be any nipple adapters like the D3.1/EX823's?
Some of the 04 UST wheels use that same system (CrossMax Enduros I think). The "nipple" threads directly into the rim.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
biker3 said:
i just got my silver dee max a couple weeks ago. Anyway how do pros run these on there bikes with 12mm axles in the rear? Do they have some custom converting kit or something for the rear?
simply they dont. Either build up an 823, or i think alot of guys were running 721s instead.

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France
Someone say if Mavic will use this new profil for 2005 EX823 rims ?...and when they will be available ?...because I want use my Hugi FR hubs with :thumb:

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I hear they are extremely strong! Ive talked to a few of the guys running them and they say they easily compare to the 321 but at a lesser weight. Theyre not as light as the current 823's but i guess they are awesome. Hopefully they will release them next year.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
well I think Mavic may be looking into making wider (150mm etc) hubs
at the first round of the WC in fort bill the mavic tech blokes were asking at trade stands (my one included) what the rear hub width was on trek and norco and santacruz DH bikes and was putting down the sizes into a lap top. so i guess if they feel that there is enough demand then they will produce it.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
biker3 said:
well i saw minnar had them on his honda and isnt that a 12mm rear? I know gracias gemini is 12mm thru and he runs deemax. Maybe its just the dee max rim hes running or an EX823 with deemax decals but from what ive seen it looks like the full wheelset.
the front is Deemax, the rear is a built up EX823

PS: yes, i know that isnt Minnar

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
squarewheels said:
what i don't get is why they have a saint axle but not a 12x150. there's gotta be more people with a 150mm rear end than with a saint kit. am i wrong?
a Saint kit is nothing more than a 10mm thru axle, its not a proprietary setup, and wouldnt even change the bearing spec. A 12x150mmm setup on the other hand requires a whole new hub shell and possibly bearing setup.

BrokenSpoke

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
home land of poutine :D
i hope those rims are stronger then my 2003 dee max, im a short and light rider and i did a pretty big flat spot in my rear wheel in one season and i have to true the wheel like every 2 rides, thats not normal :(

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
biker3 said:
well i saw minnar had them on his honda and isnt that a 12mm rear? I know gracias gemini is 12mm thru and he runs deemax. Maybe its just the dee max rim hes running or an EX823 with deemax decals but from what ive seen it looks like the full wheelset.
Last year Cedric used a hugi free ride hub on the rear laced to the deemax rim. It must be a special made for him by DT?? Or maybe mavic drilled a sliver deemax rim in 32 hole and it's a normal hub??

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Cave Dweller said:
Last year Cedric used a hugi free ride hub on the rear laced to the deemax rim. It must be a special made for him by DT?? Or maybe mavic drilled a sliver deemax rim in 32 hole and it's a normal hub??
D3.1s were silver, so only a DeeMax sticker would be needed too fool people.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
zedro said:
yes, but you get those sexy straight-pull spokes.
Unless they squared off the end they are a b*tch to build though, and they way they attach to the hub leaves much to be desired.

How many have you seen release a spoke from the hub after flexing? I know I've seen just about every type (low to highend wheelsets that use the same type spoke attachment) of Mavic mountain wheelset do this. Kinda scary if you ask me.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
ssaddict said:
Unless they squared off the end they are a b*tch to build though, and they way they attach to the hub leaves much to be desired.

How many have you seen release a spoke from the hub after flexing? I know I've seen just about every type (low to highend wheelsets that use the same type spoke attachment) of Mavic mountain wheelset do this. Kinda scary if you ask me.

Mine.

-dAn

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Rim drilling: Looks the same as a Cross Max or Ksyrium. They use a hot bit to push the aluminum in, leaving a flute. Then they thread it.

I know that for the OG yellow Dee Max, the only difference between the DM rim and the 321 was that the DM was yellow and cost $10 more.

As far as UST goes, Mavis probably made it UST compatible but will refuse to advertise it so that they can claim that the rim is flawless when pwoplw dent it. :rolleyes:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Acadian said:
tell me about it... :(

Hope those are the ones I will get as a replacement for the 3 I toasted! :thumb:

BTW...too bad you couldn't come to Whistler with us...Kevin should already be there by now! I'm leaving in a hour..

VAVAVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!
Beotch...
Lemme know how it is

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Repack said:
As far as UST goes, Mavis probably made it UST compatible but will refuse to advertise it so that they can claim that the rim is flawless when people dent it. :rolleyes:
it says right here in the specs from singletrack world...

"COMPATIBILITY:
Cog: HG 8 and 9 speed compatible
Disc brake: 6-hole International Standard
UST Tubeless or regular tires with inner tubes (do not use rim tape)"

so it is for sure UST...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
punkassean said:
it says right here in the specs from singletrack world...

"COMPATIBILITY:
Cog: HG 8 and 9 speed compatible
Disc brake: 6-hole International Standard
UST Tubeless or regular tires with inner tubes (do not use rim tape)"

so it is for sure UST...
That was just some sarcasm on my part- hence the roll eyes. It would be stupid for it to not be UST.