Quantcast

Massive Quake in Nepal, Everest Base Camp hit by avalanche

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
At least 900 dead in Nepal, per most recent update

Cimbers on Mount Everest ran for their lives on Saturday when a massive 7.9-magnitude earthquake struck Nepal and set off at least one deadly avalanche.

Jelle Veyt was just getting back to base camp when suddenly the earth "shook for a couple of seconds — badly," the Belgian climber told NBC News.

A sherpa just a few feet ahead turned and pointed behind him, Veyt recalled, saying he then turned around himself and saw a "huge cloud of snow" heading his way.

"I started running for my life....trying to be in a tent before it hit me," he said, telling NBC News he wasn't thinking about "much" other than running "as fast as I could to the tents" which were only about 200 feet away.

Before he could reach the tents Veyt said he felt a "huge blow."

"It felt like a wind in the back but more powerful," he said. Then, he said, he was "just surrounded by snow then. I couldn't see my own hands."

more: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/nepal-earthquake-triggers-deadly-mount-everest-avalanche-n348241

A powerful 7.9-magnitude earthquake struck Nepal on Saturday, killing hundreds, destroying homes and ancient temples, and triggering at least one avalanche on Mount Everest.

At least 597 people have been killed, said Minendra Rija, the country's minister of information and communications. "That number may rise," he cautioned.

The quake struck just before noon local time (2:15 a.m. ET) about 50 miles from the capital of Kathmandu and is the worst to hit the Himalayan nation in nearly a century. Some 30 people died in neighboring countries where the quake was felt, including 20 in India, The Associated Press reported.

more http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/nepal-earthquake-magnitude-7-9-tremor-hits-kathmandu-n348236

major suckage

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Google exec. was one of the people who died.

Makes me wonder if there will be any other big money people that died.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Spent a lot of time riding up around the Himalaya's back in the nineties.
Kept in touch with a few of the locals I hung out with, I got hold of all of them and all ok, immediate families ok, but one had 4 nearby houses go down with loss of life. :(
Apparently the stupa I used to go sit at to chill/meditate after riding and guiding fell over... Hope none of the monkeys got squashed (even though they could be irritating shits at the time).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sad about the loss of life and historical sites for the region.

wonder what (if any) impact this quake had on the mountain range. stuff like this sometimes pushes mountains higher or lower

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
sad about the loss of life and historical sites for the region.

wonder what (if any) impact this quake had on the mountain range. stuff like this sometimes pushes mountains higher or lower
Could potentially affect strava.