Quantcast

Marzocchi 888 RC3 EVO V2 fork seems dry?

Dh builder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
The fork is newly bought this year but I put about 300 miles on it. I remember when I first starting using it the stanchions were always covered with oil. I think this fork has an oil bath.

I haven't been paying attention but I noticed the fork seems a little creeky, and when I hold the front brake down and lift up on the handlebar I hear a clicking noise someplace.

I then noticed that the stanchions seem to be completely dry, even if I rub my finger on them.

Could I have lost all my oil and not know it?

Is there an easy way to check the oil level?

how difficult is it for me to change the oil or should I send the shock in for maintenance?

Should I not ride the bike until I figure out if there is oil?

Thanks,

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm not sure how 300 miles equates to hours of use, but it sounds like the fork is in dire need of service. There's really no "easy" way to check the oil level in the legs, but I seriously doubt its all leaked out without you noticing. At the very least, I'd suggest changing the oil in both legs, and inspecting/cleaning the bushings, seals, and wipers (if not replacing them). I have a 888 EVO V1, and its pretty straight forward to disassemble and do the maintenance, save for the fvcking little detent bearings that tend to magically jump from their greasy apertures to parts unknown within your house or garage. But if you're not confident with the process (there is a youtube video of a WC mechanic going through it), you're better off taking it to a shop. If you do it yourself, keep in mind it takes a fair bit of oil on the damper side (I think its like 325 ml for the V2s, but definitely confirm that). And no, the Marz website, like their "owners manuals", isn't much help imo.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Classic signs of a zoke needing some love.
Just finished mine tonight. (2013 evo ti)

Drain both sides.
Remove foam rings if they are still there.
Clean with rubbing alcohol. (a dowel with a rag wrapped round works great for stanchion internals)
Pack area where foam rings were with a light suspension grease ie Slickoleum(slickhoney)
325 in the damping side.
80 stock in the spring side. (Can add about 50ml additional oil to the spring side to improve bottom-out progression)
Button it up.

There is a big thread on the 888 that is worth reading...
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/2010-marzocchi-888-evo-tuning-thread-225598/

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Couple things:

You used to always have oil on the tubes and now you don't: My stanchions have never had a thin layer of oil on them and my fork is full of oil. Maybe after a fresh rebuild I'd get some residual oil and grease but that would soon go away. No not sure what you're experiencing there.

When you hear a creaky or clicking sound when you live the handlebar up, it could be your stem or headset or fork. Check everything. Check to see if the spring still has its shrink wrap on it.

It's easy to check for oil... because only one side has the oil bath. The spring side has a tiny bit of oil. For the damper side, open her up dump the old oil and replace with new.

Dh builder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
Chris, yeah I was thinking maybe it is normal for it to not have any oil. It did have some when the fork was new. I was under the impression that the oil in the fork would keep the tubes wet all the time.

The noise I hear is when I hold the front brake down and lift up on the handlebars or pull the bike backwards. I am not sure why it creeks more when I hold down on the brakes. I checked and thebrakes are tight. I retightened down the headset and still the noise.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Chris, yeah I was thinking maybe it is normal for it to not have any oil. It did have some when the fork was new. I was under the impression that the oil in the fork would keep the tubes wet all the time.

The noise I hear is when I hold the front brake down and lift up on the handlebars or pull the bike backwards. I am not sure why it creeks more when I hold down on the brakes. I checked and thebrakes are tight. I retightened down the headset and still the noise.
Sorry to open up a whole new can of worms, but a front end creak could be caused by one or more things, which may or may not include the fork. If it's the fork, it's most likely your crowns, so I would take out all crown bolts, grease them, and put them back in, making sure everything is torqued to spec. Your headset could also be the problem, even though it's properly tightened. Any metal to metal interface that isn't greased could be the creaking culprit, so I would go back and grease all such areas. The creak could even be your stem, so I would also try taking out all your stem bolts, greasing them, and then torquing to spec.

Dh builder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
Sorry to open up a whole new can of worms, but a front end creak could be caused by one or more things, which may or may not include the fork. If it's the fork, it's most likely your crowns, so I would take out all crown bolts, grease them, and put them back in, making sure everything is torqued to spec. Your headset could also be the problem, even though it's properly tightened. Any metal to metal interface that isn't greased could be the creaking culprit, so I would go back and grease all such areas. The creak could even be your stem, so I would also try taking out all your stem bolts, greasing them, and then torquing to spec.

Are you supposed to grease those parts? I never greased the crowns, crown bolts, stem bolts. Actually the only thing I would have greased is the headset.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
He's referring to greasing the threads on the bolts of the crowns. That's all. Open up your spring side and see if that shrink wrap is still on the spring. Without it, the spring rattles around and makes noise.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
He's referring to greasing the threads on the bolts of the crowns. That's all. Open up your spring side and see if that shrink wrap is still on the spring. Without it, the spring rattles around and makes noise.
Yup, grease those threads! Such a simple thing, but it can be the cause of the diabolical creaks.

Oh and another thing to keep in mind is that you gradually torqued the bolts. For example, on the lower crown for your fork there are probably 4 bolts in all, two on each stanchion. Make sure you torque each bolt a little at a time, until they are tight. If you beast just one bolt until it is tight and then do the same for all the rest, you could be creating a creak.

Last edited:

NoiNPO

Chimp
Jan 16, 2015
I'm not sure how 300 miles equates to hours of use, but it sounds like the fork is in dire need of service. There's really no "easy" way to check the oil level in the legs, but I seriously doubt its all leaked out without you noticing. At the very least, I'd suggest changing the oil in both legs, and inspecting/cleaning the bushings, seals, and wipers (if not replacing them). I have a 888 EVO V1, and its pretty straight forward to disassemble and do the maintenance, save for the fvcking little detent bearings that tend to magically jump from their greasy apertures to parts unknown within your house or garage. But if you're not confident with the process (there is a youtube video of a WC mechanic going through it), you're better off taking it to a shop. If you do it yourself, keep in mind it takes a fair bit of oil on the damper side (I think its like 325 ml for the V2s, but definitely confirm that). And no, the Marz website, like their "owners manuals", isn't much help imo.
I have a 55 rc3 evo v2 ti, and can't seen to find a service guide for it. So i thought i might as Well use a guide for the 888 rc3 evo v2 ti since they basically use the same system with a ti spring in the left stanchion, and th same damper in the right. Is this correct? If yes, then i would appreciate a link for the video with the wc mechanic as i can't find it.

Thanks in advance!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
As far as I know, they're the same damper, with the 888 just having moar. Anyway, this is video I was referring too:

NOTE TO SELF - Never, ever arm wrestle a WC mechanic...or really, any legit mechanic for that matter.

NoiNPO

Chimp
Jan 16, 2015
Except for air spring progression adjuster, as there isn't one on the 55 rc3, but a air valve instead. So i might as well use that video as its basically the same... Right?