Quantcast

Martyn Ashton back on a bike

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
“Being able to mountain bike again feels like I’ve got something back that a higher power took away. I feel like I’ve cheated the game and that feels… triumphant.

“As soon as they’ve pushed me off at the top of the summit, I was no longer the guy in a wheelchair: we were four mountain bikers riding together and we were having so much fun; I was having the best time I’ve ever had on a bike. Genuinely.”
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
C'mon you have to be a robot not to cry at least a bit when looking at his joyful face. Like one of the comments on PB says, "I have nothing but admiration for both Martyn, and for the whole team that continues to support him. The MTB bond is unparalleled in contrast to any other sport, truly an inspirational thing to see."

When Martyn went down it really struck me, as it happened before when Tarek Rasouli suffered from a similar injury. It's great to see him back on two wheels.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just awesome.

Looked like the bike could be setup better for someone who can't shift their COG. More like a trophy truck, soft rear end with more damping. Pedaling efficiency isn't a concern. An e-bike would be cool, keep the speed up through the little rises and to help unweight the front end.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Great story, but can't help but think, like Westy, that it could have been set up better.
For starters, ditch the chain, chainring, derailleurs, cassette, and shifters. Just seems obvious.
Also, his use of a DOSS dropper makes no sense in this application. He could never actuate it. He claims it's for strength, but that doesn't make sense. A simple strong traditional seatpost would be better, or one made specifically for that chair.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Martyn Ashton is awesome... Just watched GCN and Martyn was pissing around in the background pulling wheelies and generally trying to put Matt Stevens off while he presented the show.
He hasn't changed one bit from the old days messing around with Warner and all the MBUK guys. I reckon he'd be a good guy to have alongside Warner commentating for Redbull. it's ace to see the support he still has.