Quantcast

Manitou dorado

Sassyquatch

Chimp
Feb 20, 2012
Manitou dorado question
So I'm getting a custom dh bike frame built...hopefully as a 69 er...I'm 7 feet tall so was thinking the big wheel up front may offset some of the Endo tendency inherent in my size. Looks like manitou dorado is really my only option, as the wb groove fork doesn't do drop crown so would have to be travel reduced to like 6 inches.

Question is...is that fork suitable for my size ? Am also 260lbs and have broken like 7 frames now.

Hopefully also gonna do angleset so I can swap to 26er without much geo change if I don't love the 69er thang....

Thoughts?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
It is an awesome fork but at your size I am concerned that a 29" fork with an inverted design would be a little flexy. I own a 26" Dorado and think it is the best fork on the market, but I am 5'8" and 165 lbs. The fork flexes more than say a fox 40 but, tracks like a mofo and I never notice the flex on the bike it just eats everything.
Good luck with your search! At this point probably not a lot to choose from, the dorado def. has some of the best feel out there. Super smooth!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Manitou dorado question
So I'm getting a custom dh bike frame built...hopefully as a 69 er...I'm 7 feet tall so was thinking the big wheel up front may offset some of the Endo tendency inherent in my size.
I would guess a slacker headtube angle might be a better option then trying to mess around with wheel size. What frame are you running it on? Something custom?

Sassyquatch

Chimp
Feb 20, 2012
Bank matheson from swd bikes and now bicycle fabrications is gonna build a full custom frame...he's thinking ht angle of 63 with angleset so I can play with angle and go back to 26 wheel if I don't like 29...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Would a 650 wheel in a stout chassis like a 888 or 40 be an improvement? Not sure of fit, but it might be worth checking. Not sure how soon you need it, but marzocchi is developing a new shiver last I heard.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
8" Monster T, then get a fork brace machined that can take a 29er, can probably make a travel adjustment if really necessary, supposedly that's a high end moto-shiver cart and should be able to be taken apart and changed in that way. (springs, spacers, etc).

I can't think that anyone that heavy would be happy on a mtb inverted fork, unless it had like 50mm sliders and massive crowns, but then it'd be just as heavy if built for any kind of strength.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I don't big wheels are necessarily the best solution. I think with a properly slack HA, and sufficiently high bars you should be alright. 63 degrees should be sufficient unless you live in Switzerland. My impression is that (relatively) big wheels are needed only to roll over stuff on an MTB. That's why dirt bikes are able to get away with smaller diameter wheels, because they have the massive power of an engine. I don't think the wheels should be used as a way to improve the "fit" of the bike. That would change the dynamics of the bike too much and I doubt any frame mfg. has the experience to really address that change. I think as long as you get your reach and stack dimensions dialed, plus a tall ass headtube and high riser bars you should be fine. I think your reach length is going to be most important to eliminate that "endo" feel.

get a dirtbike
Ehh, dirt bikes are already f-ing hard to find a good fit for me. I imagine someone 4.5 inches taller is going to have a miserable time.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
to add: at your size, I doubt there are any good 29er DH tires that will stand up to you very well. sidewalls/tread on 26inch DH tires is way better, I'm pretty willing to bet that you'll have less pinchflat/tire problems with 26inch.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
to add: at your size, I doubt there are any good 29er DH tires that will stand up to you very well. sidewalls/tread on 26inch DH tires is way better, I'm pretty willing to bet that you'll have less pinchflat/tire problems with 26inch.
this is the real problem. Bigger wheels make sense for bigger people (they also really don't make sense for anybody around 5'4" or smaller) but it doesn't matter if your tire choice is limited to XC tires. At your weight, for riding DH, you really need to consider serious pinch flat protection. You could probably pull a shaums march and run two tubes or a second tire inside the first, but that's bush league. I'd say stick with a 26er, grab a serious tire, and get a serious tube, and you'll be able to ride like everybody else (ie no pinch flats). 2.3" XC tires that so many people get away with probably won't work for you.

Also, from my understanding, the white brothers Groove 200 doesn't need to be lowered for 29" wheels. It's worth an email or corporate contact to confirm, but I read somewhere that even with 29er wheels, you're OK with WB forks. I've also heard multiple accounts suggesting they were the stiffest inverted forks you can buy, so even if you have to drop them, you're still better off than the dorado (which also has to be dropped). They're also wicked cheap, at like $500 on the market.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I run a Dorado with my 29er. Great fork WB is also an option.
I run WTB Dissent tires with QBP Thornproof tubes and have been working well. No flat last season and one day at plattekill this year and it has been fine

I was 240 last year

Last edited:

4130biker

May 24, 2007

There's this totem with a 650b, so a 40 or a 888 may work. 40 might be cool because of the easy travel reduction if needed.

I would want a pretty stout front end on a big bike like this, personally.
Hell, maybe even a 1.5 totem dh air could be sweet.
I agree with the argument that being able to have a true dh tire is pretty important, but I wouldn't be suprised if they start popping up for 650 before long.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
did they ever release the 29er minion? that's a must get for anything DH related.

Avy used to do "extended fork caps" for 3" tires on 26" wheels. I'd imagine with that combo and a 29er, you'd have the clearance you needed. I ran mine pretty low in the crowns, IIRC, and still had plenty of clearance with a 26, and that was without the 3" extenders.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I know that Pacenti/Vee rubber will have heavier-duty casings 650b tires available by the fall.
I have no idea if they'll be suitable for DH use by a 7' 260 pound dude though.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I'm assuming by worst you mean most blatant ? I'd try riding those things if I had 650 wheels...

But, those side knobs do look a little tall/ prone to ripping off.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I'm assuming by worst you mean most blatant ? I'd try riding those things if I had 650 wheels...

The Pacenti Megamoto is going to be pretty hot(at least for me) if the casing works.

Round with lots of open side knob. A tire for people who commit.
An additonal transitional knob is going to be added for production, but I have a razorblade, it won't take long to fix it.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011

those side knobs look like they don't hold in the first place, and the orientation of the center tread is wrong. the rear actually looks rideable.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You're not kidding! What kind of lean angle to you need to hit to engage those shoulder knobs? Good luck...
Apparently they actually work great. Kirk has a few UK DH riders on them that seem to like the crap out of them. They're getting some extra knobs for all the skeptics though.
There is certainly a block of riders out there that really like open shoulders and round tires, they aren't for everyone though.

Sassyquatch

Chimp
Feb 20, 2012
I am currently running wtb dissents on my ventana el cap on the front and although it is good for flat resistance, traction is not nearly like the maxxis minions on my kona coilair...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Apparently they actually work great. Kirk has a few UK DH riders on them that seem to like the crap out of them. They're getting some extra knobs for all the skeptics though.
There is certainly a block of riders out there that really like open shoulders and round tires, they aren't for everyone though.
Any word on when those are coming? Do want.

Sassyquatch

Chimp
Feb 20, 2012
I thought I had heard the newer anglesets fixed that issue? Any other adjustable angle headsets which would work?