Quantcast

maguras gustav...tech question

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
Hi,

This question is for people who like to play with disc brake stuff.

i have a set of gustav on my dh bike and i love them...the problem is that i've smashed the rear brake lever and it need to be replace... a gustav lever is very expensive (over 200$ can$) I know shimano is using the same kind of mineral oil... if i put shimano xt lever(wich are about 50$ each) on my gustav calipers, will it work ok? other than fitting the hoses what kind of problems can i have?
I had a discution with some friends on this last weekend and we think it would probably be fine but i would like some other inputs...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I dont know. You should be a test-rider and find out :D

reddragon

Chimp
Aug 21, 2003
i think the hose should be ok.. but the amount of oil being pumped in my the xt lever might be too much/little for the gustav caliper..

cheers

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I think it would be cool to try. Like RD said, the amount of fluid being pushed may throw off the leverage.
Let us know how it goes.
If you are careful, you may even be able to swap levers wothout having to rebleed. I know you can do it with Hayes.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I finally swap my gustav lever for a shimano xt last night...
i didnot runinto any problemes, i just swap the lever, filled up the reservoir and pump the lever a few times...no bleeding and i was good to go!

I did a small road test on it.: the power is still excellent, the modulation seems to be the same and the feeling of the xt lever is way better!!...i have now to do a real l test on a downhill run next weekend... :thumb:

I will keep you updated on the downhill run tests! if everything goes well i will swap the front lever too!

Nikola_NV

Chimp
May 27, 2004
Bulgaria Rulzzzzz
I also have problem with my right gustav lever (it leaks). If tartosuc's experiment is successful, I will also try the XT lever. But I can't understand how can I connect magura hose with XT lever when magura is 0° fitting and shimano is 90° fitting

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
Here's the update.:

I went to bromont yesterday and i have tested my xt lever on the maguras caliper..

Everything worked as I planned, no loss of power, good modulation and control, no more mushy feeling from the old lever... i'm ordering another lever today to replace the front one today...

@Nikola_NV, the old xt were at 90 degree angle but the newer ones (2003 and 2004, part number xt bl-m756s) are straight 0 degrees fitting, the threads are the same so you just put you magura hose in.

http://store.airbomb.com/ba/asp/Cc.2333/ab/items.htm

look at the link, the deore m556 lever shown is built exactely the same as the xt one...