Quantcast

M9 vs v10 vs 9.9

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Didn't read thread, have ridden m9 for a few months. Rode around on a v10c. Felt very different. V10 felt lighter and poppier (I'm pretty sure this had nothing to with weight, v10 wasn't that light of a build) and the M9 felt much more like a stable hug-the-ground type of bike.

I would suggest just stick to the bike that most suits your style. The way a bike moves doesn't have that much to do with the frame weight. If weight matters it's going to be weight in your wheelset and the parts up high on your bike. M9 is an amazing pure DH bike, great plower and holds lines well.

I own an older trek session now. It's completely different from the above bikes. Night and day. Can't plow it but pedals and pops great. Loves to float. Feels light but can get pretty unstable at times. And the fact that the trek is very brake neutral is something often overlooked. Way more important that the usual stats. IT doesn't like to get wild in the rear. Doesn't like to skid. You have to put effort into making the rear dance and swing around in tight places. I found it harder to use in tight tracks than the m9!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Actually I'd say no brake squat isn't overlooked. It's the other way around. It's a selling factor in some bikes that have many features that are annoying and not for everyone. It's good but I always belive some brake squat is good.

btw. I agree on the older session on my brief ride on one but supposedly the 9.9 is a bit more plow friendly thanks to more linear leverage curve.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Actually I'd say no brake squat isn't overlooked. It's the other way around. It's a selling factor in some bikes that have many features that are annoying and not for everyone. It's good but I always belive some brake squat is good.

btw. I agree on the older session on my brief ride on one but supposedly the 9.9 is a bit more plow friendly thanks to more linear leverage curve.
The new Session is 8.5" travel and has a more linear shock curve near the middle part of it's travel to keep it from getting hung up on square edge hits as much, which is my only complaint about my '09 Session 88.

A friend has a v10c and riding with him it was obvious how much better the v10 can plow a flat rock garden, however there weren't too many sections of trail where this was a real issue, and rider technique can sometimes make up for it.