Quantcast

Lyrik Custom Tuning?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Ok, so I have a 2010 170mm Lyrik DH that needs some custom tuning. I usually keep it lowered either at 150mm or 160mm via All Travel spacers as I don't need 170mm. 170mm makes the handling of the bike sloppy and the front end flops pretty bad under heavy steering.

My problem is the fork will not stay up in the travel while corning. I can feel the effect of changing the low speed adjuster, so I know its working. However even at fully closed it still dives. I have played with the high speed and it does get some what better the more HS I run but it gets to a point where it has an overall negative effect. My question is has anyone played with the shim stack or oil volume to get the fork to stay up in the travel while cornering. Of course 170mm is effected less since there is more travel to play with and more air pressure (spring) helps but it starts getting too stiff it has an overall effect.

Anyone get inside their Lyrik damper?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Double some of the shims in the stock stack, or replace with thicker ones. Stock MiCo valving is fairly soft. The guide above is great for disassembly but I'd give the tuning suggestions a miss.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i´ve found the best way to tune rockshox products is:

1) take out the brake caliper and stem.
2) remove fork from bike, throw it in the garbage, or sell it for $100 to some cash-strapped noob rider.
3) buy a fox or marzocchi product.
4) install fox or marzocchi product.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Dissasemble and write down the current stack please.

Id prematurely suggest adding a ring shim, it will preload the face shim(s) and increase LSC without adding HSC.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
regarding the original post... its not really an issue with the damper.
rockshox air-springs do not have much mid-stroke support. they wallow into their travel...

ive experienced this before. when i ride hard for 40-50 minutes... the fork sits into its travel, as if the spring-rate was variable. sometimes is so bad, you could bottom out the fork on inclines just by sitting on the bike. this issue has do problems in the positive/negative seals.

best solution, ive found so far, is to get rid of the fork and never buy another rockshox product again.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Thanks guys. I'll pull it apart and report back but it should be stock as I have never messed with the shims before. I don't think I'll get to it until Thursday since I'm going to the moto track tonight and got a XC ride planned for Wednesday evening. Stupid work gets in the way of everything fun.