Quantcast

Low BB Enduro bikes

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I was not a fan of their build quality 5 years ago but supposedly a lot has changed. Need to talk to Paweł about it though it is a bit crude in the looks dept.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I was not a fan of their build quality 5 years ago but supposedly a lot has changed. Need to talk to Paweł about it though it is a bit crude in the looks dept.
Somewhat crude, but I like it a lot and think it adds to the bike's charm.

Saw a pic of a custom Geo one at a YOLOduro race not too long ago, that looked amazing. Think it was some Kiwi racer - will see if I can find it.

EDIT:
Was easy enough to find
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/first-look-pimp-your-ride-zumbi-f-11-custom-geometry-framesets/

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If I can afford a 3k euro bike after the season Radon is high on my list.

As for Zumbi I need to talk to some recent owners to be sure the QC is better than before.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The zumbi has some weird kinematics according to linkage. 400% as at top out. Might pedal a bit wonky, but I love the straight tubes and vertical seat tube.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Banshee Rune V2?
You have the option of running 26" or 650b by swapping dropouts.

From the reviews that I've read on it, it seems like a pretty aggro trail bike. Definitely more of a descender than a climber. I be mad tempted to get this yo.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Spitfire? You mentioned beofre that a full on Enderpo might be too much for you...
BB height can vary between 340mm and 352mm with 650b.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Foes 275, 13.1" BB height, everyone on here seems to hate them, I'd ride this-
Dear god why? There are so many better designs out there. Although foes makes stiff bikes, riding a foes taught me that a stiff bike means little if the suspension sucks, and while the suspension is probably "ok", there is much better available with DWs, split pivots, maestros, etc...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Spitfire? You mentioned beofre that a full on Enderpo might be too much for you...
BB height can vary between 340mm and 352mm with 650b.
I need to ride a few bikes. I only rode older bikes in the 140-170mm cathegory (and Dartmoor wish which is a park bike) and at times the Pitch and Remedy seemed like they needed more travel. 150mm Knolly Warden seemed like it had enough but I need to find a nice balance between a bike I can hammer on the trails in the mountains and something that is not overlapping with my dh bike.

If a full endurpoo feels different than my dh bike and still feel agile on the flats where I live I might go for it (propain seems like an awesome deal at the moment)

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
For what it's worth - the Banshee spitfire is the most fun bike I've ever owned. You need to pry it out of my cold dead hands to take her off me. My poor DH bike sits in the garage unloved. In fact, it's becoming so popular at my local DH spot, with loads of us preferring to do DH days with it, rather than the sleds.

I feel it's a more capable bike than the Rune - having ridden them side by side, the Spittty has more cockpit room and felt more stable. Don;t really know whether or not it has a low BB, all I know is that I stopped over analysing every single geo number, grabbed the Spitty recommended for my height and having the time of my life on it.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Dear god why? There are so many better designs out there. Although foes makes stiff bikes, riding a foes taught me that a stiff bike means little if the suspension sucks, and while the suspension is probably "ok", there is much better available with DWs, split pivots, maestros, etc...

I don't really understand the Split Pivot, it's still just a single pivot that looks like a way around paying royalties to the Mongoose/GT camp but it's DW so it the best thing since the last DW linkage.

If it's a single pivot with the bits in the right spots and a decent leverage curve it should work ok? It has the minimal amount of pivot points to make it work which is nice for a lazy person like me. I'm really not a good enough rider to push the frame to it's limits so as long as the geo is what I'm after I'm not all that worried about the current trend in pivots.

Last edited:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Split pivot is a single pivot with a linkage actuated shock and a floating brake. It is a neat way to integrate all that into a relatively simple package, but in my opinion it is way overhyped.

Does the marketing speech violate any Specialized patents? :D I think the exact same sentences has been used for selling FSR bikes:
"SPLIT-PIVOT separates acceleration forces from braking forces in the suspension The system reduces excess suspension compression due to acceleration forces, and at the same time reduces excess compression due to braking forces."

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Split pivot is a single pivot with a linkage actuated shock and a floating brake. It is a neat way to integrate all that into a relatively simple package, but in my opinion it is way overhyped.

Does the marketing speech violate any Specialized patents? :D I think the exact same sentences has been used for selling FSR bikes:
"SPLIT-PIVOT separates acceleration forces from braking forces in the suspension The system reduces excess suspension compression due to acceleration forces, and at the same time reduces excess compression due to braking forces."
The advantages of the split pivot design are similar to the advantages of the FSR design.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yes, because:

a.) he's still in business

b.) Spesh didn't/couldn't lawyer up on him

Suck on that Copperfield (altho he did bag a nice piece with his, umm, illusions)

And screw both you and kidwoo for making me sit through a video of Tony "explaining" how ICT works...That's 10 IQ points I can't ever get back..

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Yes, because:

Suck on that Copperfield (altho he did bag a nice piece with his, umm, illusions)

And screw both you and kidwoo for making me sit through a video of Tony "explaining" how ICT works...That's 10 IQ points I can't ever get back..
Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes, because:

Hey now, I never said shlt about ellsworth. It's not like he invented the concept or anything. Like Michael Jackson, you should be looking at that man in the mirror.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Can't beat that build but it seems a bit on the heavy side plus I can't get over the paintjobs they offer but worst case scenario I buy one and sell the frame.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I'll agree with Supercow that the spitfire is worth a look, particularly if you want slack/low. It gives up 20mm in travel to the Rune, but with a Pike and CCDBa it really is so capable and fun that I don't see how additional travel would change things in a meaningful way other than to make it less nimble and/or more of a chore to pedal. ie I've never been contemplating a jump or line choice and said to myself "I'd totally do that if only I had another 20mm travel..."

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'll agree with Supercow that the spitfire is worth a look, particularly if you want slack/low. It gives up 20mm in travel to the Rune, but with a Pike and CCDBa it really is so capable and fun that I don't see how additional travel would change things in a meaningful way other than to make it less nimble and/or more of a chore to pedal. ie I've never been contemplating a jump or line choice and said to myself "I'd totally do that if only I had another 20mm travel..."
I'm thinking about the spitty. Though the you don't need extra 20mm travel argument is infinitely regresive and using it I could as well buy a hardtail ;)

Also I've been looking at the Alutech Teibun. Seems nice given the competitive price. Though not as good as the Propain, YT or Canyon.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm thinking about the spitty. Though the you don't need extra 20mm travel argument is infinitely regresive and using it I could as well buy a hardtail ;)

Also I've been looking at the Alutech Teibun. Seems nice given the competitive price. Though not as good as the Propain, YT or Canyon.
Get the gearbox-equipped Fanes! we all want a real world review on those beauties.

Now to answer your questions (sorry, I haven't been around the Forum much lately) my friend got the 26 inches Propain Tyee. Medium size. For me it felt quite good, maybe a bit short on the reach.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Is this GT also stupid long?

Rocky Mountains are apparently very good but I need to ask my friend what problems he had with his because I remember him being not too satisfied with it.
In comparison to my aforementioned specialized stumpjumper I hated the rocky mountain Altitude 650b.

Spent a week on it, probably at this point have about double the miles on my stumpjumper as I put on the altitude.

My wife also feels the same way. She is riding 140mm fork, 140mm rear travel stumpyjumper with same build as mine. Outside of the fact that I have a 150mm fork.

Neither one of us liked the ride of the altitude. I can not tell you why from a technical standpoint, other than neither of us ever felt "at home" on the bike. In comparison I jumped on a Transition Covert for about 30 minutes during that week and immediately felt at home on the Covert, then got back on the altitude and didn't like it.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Fair point, I guess what I meant was that I think the spitfire hits above it's weight in terms of gnar eating capability. I definitely believe that teh travelz make up for my numerous inadequacies as a rider.

You have a ton of neat choices, many of which I have never seen or heard of being isolated in 'murka. I'll be interested to see where you end up regardless.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like that Ion 16 a lot.

How about the new Spesh SJ EVO 650b? 150mm of travel, 12.8" static BB height, 68* HA. :think: Nah, sounds like a pretty messed up geo to me.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
while were on this subject, im looking at a nuke mega tr frame.. it says the bb is +0.

where does that stand in today's mtb world? im looking for a decent all around frame.

edit:
im also considering the AM (more aggressive version) that has a BB of +9.6.

Last edited: