Quantcast

Loosing chain often. SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Today was MCBP first day and I went there with my tr450. I had a great day except for one problem. My chain keeps popping off. It's not just when I landed jumps, or through gardens it's anything.

When I try to full sprint it pops too.

I know it seems silly, but does anyone have any ideas.

2012 tr450
KMC x10sl
E 13 SRS guide
Saint cranks
11-23 cassette
36 tooth ring
XO derailuer

I had a mechanic build it for me. He's a good friend and great mechanic. Been soon it all his life. So he knows how to put the parts together. Today when I kept popping he quickly took a long and determined it wasn't chain length. he said it was at correct length and tension. Any ideas?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I had a mechanic build it for me. He's a good friend and great mechanic. Been soon it all his life. So he knows how to put the parts together. Today when I kept popping he quickly took a long and determined it wasn't chain length. he said it was at correct length and tension. Any ideas?
He's done something wrong. Chainline or chainguide setup.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
10 speed chains have narrower spacing. 9 speed cogs have wider spacing per gear.
Narrow chain + wider gear spacing = inconsistent shifting, gear skipping
I have ridden this combo 9sp cassette with 10sp chain for a year and not one problem. If anything I found it to shift better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
From your picture, I would say that there's simply nothing holding it on.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Post up a couple of pictures of your setup. (right-side, chainline from front, chainline from rear) Chances are something is incorrectly set up. Also recommend grabbing the manual for your chain guide and read through it thoroughly then checking it against what you have.
http://www.e13components.com/support_instructions.html

I've run the same guide for years - not a single dropped chain.

Aug 25, 2011
Hey everyone. Thanks for the inputs.

And it's a 10 speed chain, 10 speed derailuer 10 speed cassette

I think I may have fixed it. If not I'll post pictures tomorrow. Heading to creek again tomorrow, so hopefully it will be good.

What I did was

Tilted the back plate back to make it at 11 o clock. Little closer to the chain.

I also put a larger spacer behind the top bolt of the back plate. It's slows move the top guide closer to the chain ring. So if this doesn't work I'll post more pix and info.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
My monies on chain length still.
remove coil or air spring, bottom out bike, mech should be nearly full stretched out.
Otherwise a bur on chain ring.
10 speed chain might be slipping between guide and ring, space it out if it is.
Pics or it's hard to help.
Sounds like it might be feeding off from slight back pedaling. Check bottom guide alignment with ring.

Aug 25, 2011
Don't worry everyone it's fixed.

Chain is at the correct tension. Derailuers a bit loose. It that's it.

Moved the back plate to the 11 I clock position. I also put a spacer between the top jolt and frame. That moved the top guide close to chain.

Today it didn't pop off at all. It fell off every run yesterday. And today I rode twice as hard and no one problem!