Quantcast

Looking for a new DH bike - opinion needed

MSA Rider

Chimp
Jun 26, 2014
Hi,
I'm looking to change my DH bike next year and want some opinions of people who have ridden the bikes I have targeted. It is not possible to demo them in my area, that's why i'm looking for some feedback from you guys. I've read all reviews I can find on the web on these bike.
Currently, I ride a Giant Glory 0 2013 (with Fox 40 and DHX RC4) and I like it but I'm thinking about buying my dream DH bike. Been riding DH for 18 years. My home mountain is Mont-Sainte-Anne (no flow trails, only rough, steep and technical) but I do a lot of bike trips on the east coast (Bromont, Highland, Killington, Sugarbush, Sunday River, Whiteface, Attitash and others).
I would like to have a bike that take square edge a bit smoother. A light bike that is stable at speed, fun to jump but also fun to ride in slow speed very steep and technical terrain.
I have targeted these bikes and would like to have comments if you have ridden them:
- Giant Glory Advanced 0
- Pivot Phoenix Carbon (Saint build) (it might be possible that I demo one)
- Trek Session 9.9 27.5
- Santa Cruz V10 27.5 C or CC
- Devinci Wilson 27.5

I heard good comments from a guy who tried the Devinci Wilson 27.5.
I heard that the Santa Cruz V10 is more a high speed plow bike and that it may not be fun on slow speed steep and technical stuff (very long wheelbase).
I have read reviews about the Pivot Phoenix carbon saying it is good in all type of terrain (slow speed, high speed, jumps).
The review are good for the Trek Session 9.9 27.5.
I prefer Fox over Rock Shox so that's a minus for the Glory Advanced and Devinci Wilson. Ideally, I would like to have the 2016 Fox 40 and DHX2 shock but may be willing to try Roc Shox is the frame that come with it is top notch.
These bikes are pretty expensive so I want to have as much info as possible.
Thanks!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
In order i have owned.

Big hit.
tr450
tr500
v-10 CC

All had a fox 40 (coil and float), all had fox rc4, except the v-10 which has a vivid air.

I rode exactly 1 giant glory which I rented for the day at whistler. (this was while I owned my 450). I felt very comfortable on the bike and liked it.

I don't find my v-10 to be any less fun on jump trails, technical trails, or fast trails compared to any of my previously owned bikes. It is my first 27.5 dh bike and I don't see what all the hype is about (on the wheel size)

It has taken me a while to get my v-10 dialed in for my likings. While I'd like to be able to tell you about how efficient one pedals over the other, or how the anti squat #'s for the X bike match my riding style so much better than the others etc. But I can't.

What I can say is this.

The 450 was a huge improvement over the big hit. The 500 was an improvement over the 450 in every aspect, but only by a small margin.

The v-10 has taken me the longest to get comfortable on and feel like the bike is set up correctly for me, and now that i have it has been such a long time since i have ridden anything else that I can't give a fair comparison.

I really like the v-10, but I also really had a lot of fun on all of my other bikes too.

My opinion is that modern DH bikes are all very good bikes and you should buy the one that you are getting the best deal on or you feel the most comfortable on.

UNLESS. You're a pro level rider who stands to earn money and make it to WC's....except, you said you've been riding DH for 18 years, so my guess is your just another dude out there riding bikes having fun like me, so just pick one and like it.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
wheelbase
Large v-10 = 1217mm
Large Glory = 1257mm
Large Trek Session = 1227
Large Phoenix = 1263
Large Wilson - 1222

So, yeah, pretty much the claim that the v-10 will be sluggish due to a long wheelbase is pretty much shit compared to the 4 other bikes you are comparing it to......

Oh, and all of that said, I don't find that my v-10 takes square edged hits much better than any of my previous bikes. I've always been a plow rider, and all the bikes I have owned seem to be content with me plowing my way down the trails.

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
MSA Rider

Highland Mountain has V10's, Glorys, tr500s, and Trek sessions you can demo them for $50 for 2 hours, then take a drive to Attitash mountain and they rent Gambler's and Wilsons.
Sounds like a fun trip right?!!
Let us know how it goes

MSA Rider

Chimp
Jun 26, 2014
You're right Kickstand, I'm not planning to do some Word Cup races, I'm already too old for that (well, Steve Peat is older than me....). Just having fun and pushing my limits for myself.
Also, the V10 wheelbase is not that long compared to the other bikes. But V10 have short reach for their size and at 6 feet tall, I think I'm between a L and XL.
I'm heading to Highland in two weeks, I think I will rent a V10C there to try it. Not much rough stuff there but I will have an idea in trals like Treshold and Maiden Voyage/race course. I'm also curious to see how it goes in a jump trail like Hellion.
I don't think I will rent a Glory 27.5 there because they only have Glory 2 with low end parts so I don't think it would be representative of an Advanced Glory 0.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I want to like the V10's, but the seat angle has kept me away from them.

I really like my 2013 Devinci Wilson. One of the only mainstream bikes I've really gelled with. Just doesn't do anything weird and takes square edged stuff very well (a requirement for me). Plus lifetime warranty without having to ride a Demo. After the last however many DH bikes I've owned there wasn't much that checked all the boxes.