Quantcast

Looking for a good single crown air fork

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Ive been out of the game for quite a while, and im really out of the loop on the suspension developments recently. Im looking for good sugguestions on a good allmountain/freeride fork. The fork in question will be going on my Intense Uzzi with Fox DHX air rear shock.

Requirments
-looking for a lighter weight good adjustable travel single crown fork in the 5-7" range.
-im guessing due to weight and matching my rear DHX, an air fork is going to be my main ticket.
-i find myself doing more pedaling here recently then anything else, but on the occasion still play around when i can.
-im running a Spinergy wheel set that has a convertible front hub from QR to 20mm so either is fine. I can also do a regular 1-1/8 head tube or 1.5 head tube.
-good value is appreciated.

Open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
vengeance hlr or the 55cr/rc3. fox 36 180mm rc2 if you're willing to shell out $$$ for them.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty stoked with my 36 TALAS. People seem to love their Lyrics too, especially now that they seem to have sorted out issues with 2-step.

I don't know if there are any adjustable travel air forks that cover an entire range anymore. The 36 TALAS has two positions and I think that's true for the Lyrics too.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Ok guys, back when i was hitting things harder, manitou was pretty well known to stay away from, rock shox was good stuff but required higher maintenance, marzochhi was the go to fork for anything other then xc, and fox was just starting to get on the market.

Is there anything in general I should be avoiding?

I have a couple of fox Talas picked out that fit the bill perfectly besides cost. A couple marz's that fit the bill perfectly besides weight, and a couple of Rock shox that seam like they would do ok. I can get more specific if you like.

Is there a bad choice here? I also need to check out the forks mentioned above in the first 2 posts., havent heard of them.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Btw, anything around ~120-150 adjustment i feel is about perfect.

oh and gemini, want to pm me how much you can get the adjustable 55cr for?

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Ok guys, back when i was hitting things harder, manitou was pretty well known to stay away from, rock shox was good stuff but required higher maintenance, marzochhi was the go to fork for anything other then xc, and fox was just starting to get on the market.

Is there anything in general I should be avoiding?

I have a couple of fox Talas picked out that fit the bill perfectly besides cost. A couple marz's that fit the bill perfectly besides weight, and a couple of Rock shox that seam like they would do ok. I can get more specific if you like.

Is there a bad choice here? I also need to check out the forks mentioned above in the first 2 posts., havent heard of them.
The vengeance is light, works awesome and costs $800

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Ok, ive narrowed the forks down to the following contendors.

Fox 36 Talas 160 R
-4.8lbs
-on the fly adjustment from 120-160mm travel
-open bath
-~$880
-My thoughts are that it has the general travel range i am looking for at the weight im looking for. It is priced on the high end, not sure how the R's open bath performance would compare tot he rest of the group.

Marzocchi 55 CR Switch TA Fork
-5.11lbs
-on the fly adjustment from 130-170mm travel
-~$780
-My thoughts are that it has the general travel range i am looking for. It is priced alittle more to my liking but is also alittle heaveir as well.

Fox 36 Talas 160 RLC 20QR
-4.65lbs
-on the fly adjustment from 120-160mm travel w/lockout
-low speed compression dampening
-~$1000
-My thoughts are that it has the general travel range i am looking for. This fork has the features and functions that i would like to have, but is very much pushing beyond the affordable range.

X - Fusion - Vengeance HLR
-4.9lbs
-Internal/not on the fly travel adjust from 100-130-160-170
-high and low speed compression adjust
-~$800(found last years model on sale for ~$500, and this years model for ~$650...not sure if legit)
-My thoughts, i dont know **** about them or the longevity potential, but they have high level dampening controls at lower level costs and seemingly good intial reviews. It meets my weight criteria as well. The lack of the on the fly travel adjust does throw a small stick in my spokes. If these sale prices i found are good, a very strong competitor i think.
-Last years model also did not have a qr20 system, so i think the lack of a qr axle and lack of on the fly travel adjustment rules out last years model.

These are my top contendors at the moment, all seem to be a very good option. Anything else to rule out from here?

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
If you want a Vengeance with on the fly travel adjustment, take a look at the Vengeance HLR DLA, 170 drops to 140 with the flick of a dial. Costs $855

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
So the Fox Talas line is out, reading some very poor reviews of the new 36's with poor setup from the factory. No way i am going to pay a premium for that crap, especially when there seems to be 2 very exceptional forks to choose from for cheaper.

Its down to the X Fusion Vengence series vs Marzochi 55 series. Tough!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So the Fox Talas line is out, reading some very poor reviews of the new 36's with poor setup from the factory. No way i am going to pay a premium for that crap, especially when there seems to be 2 very exceptional forks to choose from for cheaper.
I haven't had that problem with any of the many Fox forks I've had, and haven't heard of it. Plus, Fox has good customer service so you can count on them making it right if anything like that happens. They are pricey but worth it.

And if you plan to do much climbing on that bike I think you are really going to want on-the-fly travel adjustment.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
I haven't had that problem with any of the many Fox forks I've had, and haven't heard of it. Plus, Fox has good customer service so you can count on them making it right if anything like that happens. They are pricey but worth it.

And if you plan to do much climbing on that bike I think you are really going to want on-the-fly travel adjustment.
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/general-discussion/61118-2012-marzocchi-55-micro-switch-ta-vs-fox-talas-36-rlc-kashima.html

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Update to this thread:

A guy an ebay was selling some new in box older model year X-fusions. Of which was a 2011 Vengeance HLR with a tapered tube and a 2010 X-fusion 100mm Velour(air spring, internally adjustable from 80-100-130mm). I am getting my old zasker back up and running, so my interest for a cheaper good performing, lower travel fork was growing. We ended up cutting a package deal for both @ $675 shipped to my door.

Buying both forks ended up coming underneath my budget for buying one of the new off the shelf forks i had picked out, and it seems the performance is just as good or better. Ill be putting both to the test and seeing how they hold up over time, so stay tuned.

Last edited:

meepmeep

Chimp
May 23, 2011
Hey Swine, any update? I'm interested in getting an x fusion Vengeance HLR DLA.

Update to this thread:

A guy an ebay was selling some new in box older model year X-fusions. Of which was a 2011 Vengeance HLR with a tapered tube and a 2010 X-fusion 100mm Velour(air spring, internally adjustable from 80-100-130mm). I am getting my old zasker back up and running, so my interest for a cheaper good performing, lower travel fork was growing. We ended up cutting a package deal for both @ $675 shipped to my door.

Buying both forks ended up coming underneath my budget for buying one of the new off the shelf forks i had picked out, and it seems the performance is just as good or better. Ill be putting both to the test and seeing how they hold up over time, so stay tuned.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
The Vengeance has absolutely blown me away. I was thinking that maybe since i havent had alot of expereince with new age air forks that this may just be the norm. I recently picked up an GT Force with Fox Float R 140mm fork.

This is not a direct apples to apples comparison because of different travel and stanchion sizes, but the vengeance, in every single category besides looks(which is subjective), wins every categorey by alteast alittle if not large margins.

The vengeance is super smooth and plush right out of the box, adjustments make a big enough difference to be very effective tuning tools, the fit, finish, and controls are fantastic. As i posted, i ended up getting a much cheaper but still new in box 2011 model. I do regret not getting a tool less 20mm axle, and the extra travel/newer design that has a lower axle to crown height would be a welcomed feature, but it would have cost me about ~$300 more as well.

To sum it up, the Vengeance has been a disgusting value, and as far as my experience goes, the least amount of sticktion, the best dampening, and the best overall ride ive ever experienced in a long travel air fork. A++

Thanks for turning me on to the vengeance monkies.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The Vengeance has absolutely blown me away. .....
Now get a decent rear shock! The DHX Air is not the best shock to begin with, but on the VPX it sucks really bad!

The cable routing will definitely cause you ghost shifting. I solved it by using brake housing and routing it under the top tube, then on the left side of the seat tube and then crossed over to the right seat stay. This way you create a loop behind the seat tube that picks up the movement of the suspension without causing ghost shifting.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Getting tired of sending my fox forks in for repair... X fusion is looking tempting to replace my van 180...

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Now get a decent rear shock! The DHX Air is not the best shock to begin with, but on the VPX it sucks really bad!

The cable routing will definitely cause you ghost shifting. I solved it by using brake housing and routing it under the top tube, then on the left side of the seat tube and then crossed over to the right seat stay. This way you create a loop behind the seat tube that picks up the movement of the suspension without causing ghost shifting.
Im afraid ill be solving both issues in the form of a new frame. Ive had my eye on a pivot firebird and go-ride has them on sale. Well see.