Quantcast

look at this CHAINRING

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I see a pic. A big meaty chainring. Why do we need a chainring that hefty? I've never had a problem with my puny little shimano rings, my bash guard keeps 'em straight.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
believe it or not even with a bashgaurd i manage to bent chainrings, but i have to say this one is way over the top. you have amit that it looks cool though :drool: :drool:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Again, rampant speculation by internet engineers gets a product unjustly slammed....

Why not ask GRC the reasoning behind the ring? From what i have heard, the ring is that thick to a) prevent bending, which is totaly logical and possible and b) to automatically space out the inner bashguard so that everything fits all nicely.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
That thing looks like, if set up properly, it would totally eliminate any space between the chainring and both the inner and out plates of a chainguide, thereby making it impossible for ANY chaingued to EVER drop a chain.

But yea, its probably worthless.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That chainring might be too thick to fit in a double chainguide. It would rub on the bashgaurd part. Anyway, there is no need for that thick of a ring unless you're too cheap to buy a bashgaurd. It's prolly really expensive, too.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
hucker13 said:
That chainring might be too thick to fit in a double chainguide. It would rub on the bashgaurd part. Anyway, there is no need for that thick of a ring unless you're too cheap to buy a bashgaurd. It's prolly really expensive, too.

:confused:

That didnt make a lick of sense.

How's it going to rub a bashguard that it's bolted to?

How would that work for someone who's to cheap to buy a bashguard when the point of a bashguard is to protect the chain and that chainring offers no such protection?

What comes to mind here is an MRP system (ie Foes style) where both plates could bolt directly up, and there'd be no space on the sides to ever lose the chain. I think it'd work perfectly well on my blackspire guide as well.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wow. I am with the others. Why? I havent had a problem with my SRS guide and crappy Deore Rings.

Although..... I did just bend a chainring on my trailbike, with a Blackspire bash guard :think:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
BurlySurly said:
:confused:

That didnt make a lick of sense.

How's it going to rub a bashguard that it's bolted to?

How would that work for someone who's to cheap to buy a bashguard when the point of a bashguard is to protect the chain and that chainring offers no such protection?

What comes to mind here is an MRP system (ie Foes style) where both plates could bolt directly up, and there'd be no space on the sides to ever lose the chain. I think it'd work perfectly well on my blackspire guide as well.
I think he meant on a system 2 style guide or any guide where the boomerang/inner plate is fixed and not rotating...however the wording was less than choice.

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Our chainrings are designed to work with both MRP and E-13. That means either with an inner and/or outer plates or a single bashplate.

They're designed to eliminate the spacers as the spider steps down into the ring thus allowing the bashring to sit flush with the ring and/or inner plate creating a solid non-deflecting driveline. Simple and to the point.

Don't knock it till you try it.

And as for you Partsbara, I make it a point to give everyone love and a far shake. I'am not the sort to get involved in this mindless exchange of words with readers but if you don't like Rotecs thats your right (have you ever owned one??) but don't knock the other products I make. The way I see it if you haven't used our stuff then why talk smack like you have.

Quote: isn t he the fella who makes rotecs ??? no wonder i don t like it

Like I got on this thread to talk smack about you??
Thought we were all a bit more mature then that??

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
ive seen those kickin around before. I cant imagine thered be any way to properly set up a guide with it. And thats aside from the fact its probably pretty useless in the first place. it is asthetically pleasing, ill give it that much

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Pip3r said:
ive seen those kickin around before. I cant imagine thered be any way to properly set up a guide with it. And thats aside from the fact its probably pretty useless in the first place. it is asthetically pleasing, ill give it that much

Brian... "aesthetically" :nope: hahahahha, sorry I couldn't resist.

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Well, first of all Pip3r If you knew me then you would know that I wouldn't bring something to market if I didn't think their was a need for it.

Not everybody will think they need it and thats fine with me as I've sold enough of them already this past year to know better and most have been on rigs that I installed personally at the races or by shops that carry them.

These rings were designed for the MRP systems to eliminate the spacers and the flex created by the crank/spider/ring
as well as eliminating the chance the chain will be sucked into and down towards the bb which has happend one to many time for many upon impact with rocks and such.

They work just as well on most non-mrp systems.

I ran them all last year with MRP's and had no issues with sucking the chain as it has nowhere to go. So for the issue at hand it has done its job.
As of this year all our race rigs run E13's wih our chainrings and once again no issues as long as its setup properly. As with any gear it ain't perfect for every appliction but then neither are half the guides systems out on the market today.

Yeah you may be right that it might be a bit overkill but what isn't in todays hype driven industry.
Hey I love my E13's as all our rigs run them, but then again the E13 has a bashring thats made from materal thats more like bullet proof lexan and is almost an inch thick??? Go figure......

We make parts that are designed for rigs that are going to be ridden hard and abused. If you're a racer using dual plates and you drop your chain in between the ring on your race run, that pretty much sucks as well as having it jack up on ya while riding the lifts if you're not the racer type. Unless you ride with allens and a crank puller you're pretty much screwed?

So it may not be for everyone but the ones that have had those problems don't with our rings and the ones that do are looking for an answer thats why theres us!

Like I said, some may not need it but its not useless.....well maybe to you since you haven't had issues?

As for "aesthetically pleasing"??

Never had our stuff called that but thank you all the same.

Cheers,

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Pip3r said:
This isn't Snacks but thats ok. I am running a GRC ring on my M-1 with an MRP. The guide is set up with both plates rotating, ie - the inner plate isn't fixed to the boomerang, its bolted to the spider with the chainring and outer plate. In 6 years of running MRP's I've only dropped my chain twice, both times in race runs. With this set-up there isn't anyway the chain can drop since there is no place to go.

Profile had something similar in that they machined a chainring and outer plate out of one piece of aluminum. But you would still have a gap to the inside whether you had a dual rotating chainguide or not.

I have attached 3 pictures - 2 of the M-1 and one of my GT without the GRC ring. There is a reason I can't put one on the GT, has something to do with the unique boomerang of the I-drive. You can see the gap on the GT and how solid the M-1 is set-up. The M-1 has dual rotaters' but it would work the same and give you the same benefits with a fixed inner plate.

Proper set up is just as easy as with a normal ring, easier if your running the dual rotaters as you don't have to screw with spacers.
"Useless"??? If you've neer dropped a chain then I guess so?
If someone is buying chainrings for there "asthetics"............

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
dropmachine.com said:
Again, rampant speculation by internet engineers gets a product unjustly slammed....

Why not ask GRC the reasoning behind the ring? From what i have heard, the ring is that thick to a) prevent bending, which is totaly logical and possible and b) to automatically space out the inner bashguard so that everything fits all nicely.
Thank you.

As a personal friend of Sully's and one of the wrenches who supports his factory team, I have a lot of experience with these. The thickness, as dropmachine stated, is to space the guide plates with no shims. This allows a clean and fail-proof setup. Its surprisingly light and beautifully constructed. Plus they look super-cool under a clear Evil plate. GRC has always been know for making aftermarket parts that are sure to stand up to one hell of a beating, and these chainrings fit that bill perfectly.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
dropmachine.com said:

Bending, yeah maybe a reason. But if it's for spacing, why not just put a couple of small little nubs on it (like the pin on shimano rings that is next to the crank arm to prevent chain pinch)?

It would fit right in with some 3.0 Gazzi's :eek:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
ah cool. It seems i spoke too soon.
That m1 setup does look tight! I guess on an mrp it does make sense to have a nice beefy ring. Keep up the good stuff!

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Matt D, Its not so much that it prevents bending as much as it strengthens and stiffens the driveline at the cranks. In essences it ties together the rotater plates,spider and cranks to create a 1-piece crank system for the MRP.

With that being said it also helps to create a stronger MRP as theirs no flex between the said peices, especially upon impact with rocks and that sort. Along with the chain whipping around on rough courses the GRC rings does not allow the chain when it comes off the ring the chance to be drawn down to the bb and jamming.

The thought of having nubs was concidered during design but it would still allow the possablity of the chain being drawn in between the rings and jamming.

All in all it works as designed and performs the function it was intended for. Form does not have to follow function as good looks and bling will not improve performance. Its much better to have a part thats works then to have a good looking part thats broken or jammed as you walk you bike down the hill!

Like I've mentioned in the past, GRCs philosophy has always been about performance and improving the riders ability to finish. Blingy colors and looks are important for sure but thats not what wins races or makes finishing an epic ride. Its the gear doing its job and providing the owner as many trouble free hours on their bike as possable.

But thanks for the imput Matt D, this is how GRC products have evolved and improved since the begining, by riders speaking their mind and providing great insight to their problems.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Snacks said:
I have attached 3 pictures - 2 of the M-1 and one of my GT without the GRC ring. There is a reason I can't put one on the GT, has something to do with the unique boomerang of the I-drive. You can see the gap on the GT and how solid the M-1 is set-up. The M-1 has dual rotaters' but it would work the same and give you the same benefits with a fixed inner plate.
I reckon it's a killer idea. Everything nice and solid like it's all one piece. That chain's not going anywhere.

Just think if we'd all listened to the guys way back when who said suspension was a bad idea. "All that 'bobbing' just wastes energy on the climbs...now pass me my razor."

lux

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I've had so many problems with MRP guides that I didn't really even think about them in use with this ring. So many bent plates pinching my chain I don't even want to think about it.

Seeing the pics and hearing your description it makes a lot more sense. That ring used with an MRP is very logical. If I were to redesign it, I think it may be best to have a ~5mm ring of aluminum spacing the plates. Have you tried it w/o much success? But I understand it would take away from your 'one piece' approach.

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
I ride one of these GRC rings that I got from Sully at the Seattle bike show this past winter. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I use it between 2 bash guards and it works great. I don't race, so I wasnt concerned about the flex, but it is really nice not have to mess with trying to put little spacers in when putting the bashguards on. Its a very nicely made product, by a guy who owns a rider oriented company, and knows what works good. If you don't like the idea, don't whine about it all over the internet, just don't buy one. I don't regret the $ that I spent on the one that I got.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
how much do they cost, and what sizes do they come in. i ahve a mrp system 1 guide, and have a 36t salsa ring. i dont need one now, but if i ever need a new ring, i would LOVE to get ahold of a 36t one of them.........love taht "one-piece" bolted design.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
hey john, no need to get ya knickers in a twist... it s my opinion and i ll stand by it... i didn t realize that it was designed for the mrp... sure, it probabally works but IMHO the mrp is a hopeless design to begin with... sure your chainring prolly makes it all run better, but to me it s like wrapping a turd (the mrp) in a pretty ribbon (the chainring) - either way it s still a turd... i for one would prefer a system more along the lines of the e13 or mr dirt...

anyway, good luck selling em'... but they ain t for me... thats all i wanna say...

partsbara