Quantcast

Local trail/dj tire

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
After running dirt jump dedicated tires on my hardtail I'm looking for something light (sub 550g) but offering more traction than table tops, k-rads and other dedicated tires.

What are my options?

Geax Aka is very meh and has no traction in berms.
Maxis Shitless parking violation bling bling is too heavy
Maxis Aspen seems decent. Any experiences with it?

Any other ideas? I've heard conti has a nice tire. Also Schwalbe used to have a dedicated 4x tire, don't remember what it was called.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Schwalbe Racing Ralph works well for that. That's the tire with the dedicated 4x version. They also have a Double Defense version that's pretty burly; I've had good look running it as a rear tire for hardpack trails.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Schwalbe Racing Ralph works well for that. That's the tire with the dedicated 4x version. They also have a Double Defense version that's pretty burly; I've had good look running it as a rear tire for hardpack trails.
Oh yeah I liked it as my front tire. Now I need to find a shop that doesn't sell them for an arm and a leg since some asshole in l2a stole my helmet (btw. the whole bikepark sucks and is way worse than 4 years ago) when I was cleaning my bike so now I have more expenses and don't want to spend too much on a tire.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
well, the maxxis website doesn't list it, but apparently some webstores sitll have inventory?
Seems similar to k-rad. No side knobs. Just round tire with some blocks on it. I don't think it will have any side support and i tend to overangle my bike in berms so that's a problem.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Seems similar to k-rad. No side knobs. Just round tire with some blocks on it. I don't think it will have any side support and i tend to overangle my bike in berms so that's a problem.
based on past experience the holy roller is a much better dirt tire than the k-rad.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've had tons of fun with the Intense MK series, both MK1 and MK2. They were ~420g in 2.25" IIRC. If you run more dirt than asphalt, get the first versión because the central thread wears out in a blink when it touches too much concrete.

I believe Vee Rubber makes them now, with several iterations of knobs removed/added.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Kenda SBE DTC Kevlar? I have a wire version of those on my pumptrack bike and they are fantastic. 2.1" is plenty big for trail riding and not too heavy. Rolling resistance is bigger than on Racing Ralphs but they offer much much better grip.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Had them over 10 years ago in my xc bike. Are they really that good? The thread seems very thin and the lack of bigger sideknobs makes me worried it will slide sideways like my aka.
I run them in 2.35 in the summer toobless on the rear of the trail bike. Usually have something more significant on the front (mainly HighRoller). On the 4x full susser I ride them front/rear because it mainly sees pure hardpack. I think they hook up fairly well for such a fast rolling tire. A DJ tire like the Table Top suck at cornering in comparison to the Larsen TT.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have a 2.3 Specialized Renegade on the front of my pbj, and it has been great so far. Much better traction in loose and dry over hardpack. I am doing a pumptrack race series here, and those regular rhythm pro dj tires were making me pee a little slamming loose berms.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Holy Roller doesn't look like much but it's a solid tire. Lasts forever too 2.2.