Quantcast

Limiting the stoke on an RC4

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by BmxConvert, Feb 24, 2013.

1. BmxConvert New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I've got an RC4 hanging out here from a previous bike that I'd like to set up on my current trail bike.

My RC4 is 7.875x2.25 and my current trail bike uses a 7.875x2 shock.
    If I remember correctly Specialized Demo 7's used a .25" spacer on the shock to limit the travel. Does anyone know where I can source one of those or have any recommendations as to limiting the shock's travel without reducing the eye to eye measurement?
  2. 4130biker Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    4   |   7
    I found some .125" thick nylon washers at my hardware store. Mcmaster carr should have them too. Just find the right ID for your shaft. After that I cut a slot at an angle into the center of the washer with a hacksaw, then squeeze them over the shaft. I've different sizes of these to space down a couple shocks and forks and it works great!
  3. PsyCro Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Personally, when the RC4 came out, i was extremely stoked with the performance compared to the old DHX 5. I refuse to limit my stoke! :p
  4. BmxConvert New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    How narrow was the OD of your spacer? I assume trying to get it the same as the OD of the bottom out bumper would be ideal.

Touche! I hated the RC4 on my Demo, however it seems to be a treat on my Sunday and the other RC4 went a long way in curing the crap VPP on my TRc. We'll see how it does on my 5.7c.
  5. Freeridin' New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Might be easier and neater to match the OD and drill out the ID.
  6. BmxConvert New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    That was the plan. I just wanted to see how wide or narrow he went.
  7. Sandwich just shake your rump

Rep  |  Likes:
    7   |   10
    'dja miss that one?
  8. 4130biker Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    4   |   7
    The OD was the same, if not a tiny bit bigger than the bottom out bumper. I'll try to upload a pic- I was really surprised how perfect they are- and something like 50 cents a piece!
  9. 300hp New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    did ya figure it out?

I assume you've tried to cycle the bike thru the travel with the longer stroke shock....many of these frames that run a 7.87x2 could run a 2.25 but don't. Case in point, my old heckler and my current Nickel come oem with a 2" shock (I assume because the bike needed to fit into a certain travel segment for marketability) but runs a 2.25 just fine.

You could also do what I did on my Van RC, I cut of the factory "bottom out bumper", in quotes because its really not a bottom out at all, and replaced it with the vivid bump stop kit. Didn't have to cut anything or dissassemble anything. Now I can run the stiff bottom out bumper that comes with the kid and one little spacer to limit the travel just enough and get a nice progressive ramp-up at the end.

H