Quantcast

Limiting the stoke on an RC4

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've got an RC4 hanging out here from a previous bike that I'd like to set up on my current trail bike.

My RC4 is 7.875x2.25 and my current trail bike uses a 7.875x2 shock.
If I remember correctly Specialized Demo 7's used a .25" spacer on the shock to limit the travel. Does anyone know where I can source one of those or have any recommendations as to limiting the shock's travel without reducing the eye to eye measurement?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I found some .125" thick nylon washers at my hardware store. Mcmaster carr should have them too. Just find the right ID for your shaft. After that I cut a slot at an angle into the center of the washer with a hacksaw, then squeeze them over the shaft. I've different sizes of these to space down a couple shocks and forks and it works great!

PsyCro

Chimp
Apr 10, 2011
Personally, when the RC4 came out, i was extremely stoked with the performance compared to the old DHX 5. I refuse to limit my stoke! :p

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I found some .125" thick nylon washers at my hardware store. Mcmaster carr should have them too. Just find the right ID for your shaft. After that I cut a slot at an angle into the center of the washer with a hacksaw, then squeeze them over the shaft. I've different sizes of these to space down a couple shocks and forks and it works great!
How narrow was the OD of your spacer? I assume trying to get it the same as the OD of the bottom out bumper would be ideal.

Personally, when the RC4 came out, i was extremely stoked with the performance compared to the old DHX 5. I refuse to limit my stoke! :p
Touche! I hated the RC4 on my Demo, however it seems to be a treat on my Sunday and the other RC4 went a long way in curing the crap VPP on my TRc. We'll see how it does on my 5.7c.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Touche! I hated the RC4 on my Demo, however it seems to be a treat on my Sunday and the other RC4 went a long way in curing the crap VPP on my TRc. We'll see how it does on my 5.7c.
'dja miss that one?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The OD was the same, if not a tiny bit bigger than the bottom out bumper. I'll try to upload a pic- I was really surprised how perfect they are- and something like 50 cents a piece!

300hp

Chimp
Dec 12, 2009
did ya figure it out?

I assume you've tried to cycle the bike thru the travel with the longer stroke shock....many of these frames that run a 7.87x2 could run a 2.25 but don't. Case in point, my old heckler and my current Nickel come oem with a 2" shock (I assume because the bike needed to fit into a certain travel segment for marketability) but runs a 2.25 just fine.

You could also do what I did on my Van RC, I cut of the factory "bottom out bumper", in quotes because its really not a bottom out at all, and replaced it with the vivid bump stop kit. Didn't have to cut anything or dissassemble anything. Now I can run the stiff bottom out bumper that comes with the kid and one little spacer to limit the travel just enough and get a nice progressive ramp-up at the end.

H