Quantcast

Lightweight Seatpost/Saddle Combo

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I bought the raceface atlas seatpost/saddle (i-beam) combo. It is very light for the price but unfortunately I hate the way it looks. I am going for an all black look on my bike and this will not work. What are some good seatpost/saddle combos that are not heavy?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thomson plus a cheap ti-railed seat of your choice.

IMHO I beams look terrible and the one I had was the most uncomfortable brick I've ever sat on. Yes, I sit on my DH seat when I'm waiting in the lift line or doing liaison sections.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Love my SDG I-fly. Even with the old, Gen-1 SDG post it's a light combo, I'm sure with a newer/better post I could drop a few more ounces. The seat has been a very comfortable place to park my ass for the last 9+ years, and it's all black so it helps hide poo stains.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
SDG Belair is one of the best shaped seats ever IMO. Tough wide for DH(I-Fly there).
However either in I-Beam are a bit stiffer than railed ones, so good for DH, but not long rides.
Reverse Components railed seats are pretty light for a padded seat at 206grams. Not quite as ergonomic as SDGs BelAir, but more comfortable than I-Fly and narrow enough for DH use. Reverse also do light Aluminum and carbon posts.
Get the full Kevlar finnish if getting SDG, the vinyl is a bit slippery when muddy. Or the one with things stuck on it(I've never tried one).

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i like the ibeam setup, but not the price.

i did a pivotal on my dh and loved it. although im sure i dont think anyone else would really care for it.. hell ive even got it on my trail bike. im too poor to buy i beams.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
pivotal seems like a great idea given the set-up could be 1/4 the price of I beam .

It wouldn't work for me, as I'm tall and use the leg to steer with the seat a lot and the lack of fore-aft adjustment puts the saddle in the wrong place for me. But for smaller dudes it could be a sick budget-saving component.

I like the pivotal on my DJ bike.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
the only issue with the pivotal is the lack of adjustments (back and fourth). it doesnt bother me, but i am sure there are some people out there who dont like it.

on the operator i had, the seat tube angle was so slack. i had to run it fully slammed down, luckily i liked it at that angle. i didnt have much choice.

the last deal breaker would also probably be no dropper. i could care less, ive never needed one. from what i can tell, a lot of riders seem like its the second coming of jesus, but i didnt care for the one that i tried on my buddies bike.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
i don't see the need for a dropper post on a downhill bike. i mean if you have the time to pedal uphill...you have time to raise the seat.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
the i-beam post doesn't seem too expensive. although, some of the fizik and selle italia prices are absolutely insane for the few grams you save. I'm thinking of just getting an sdg saddle if i can sell this setup. on the bottom of my raceface atlas i-beam saddle it says "made by SDG"...lol

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
After seeing a seat rail go into a guys thigh when it broke - my Dh bike is I beam only. Might have been a 1 in a million chance but coming up short on a step down nearly cost him his life - nicked femoral in this case.
Rails are for trail bikes.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I got on the I-beam train when it first came out and haven't looked back, currently rocking I-fly and carbon post on my DH bike. It's pretty much impossible to beat I-beam from a price to weight perspective.

I hear ya on the plain thing, if you look around you can find both in plain black, I got the black kevlar saddle. It's ridiculous that you have to look for them though, no one likes a patterned saddle.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
To add to this, does anyone have a recommendation for a light saddle that has a tire relief cutout? My tire hits my saddle deep in its travel.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
+1 for I-beam setup. It breaks the rule and is light, cheap and strong. (at least for Australia they're cheaper from CRC than any comparable post/saddle combination I know of)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The SDG is the best setup going IMO.
I tried the Pivotal setup for awhile. It is super cheap and super light. But, the angle adjustment is limited. Meaning, you end up with a really nose up seat unless your bike has a abnormally steep seat tube. Also, the seats are all dirt jump or bmx race inspired and kinda suck.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i don't see the need for a dropper post on a downhill bike. i mean if you have the time to pedal uphill...you have time to raise the seat.
oh, i thought this was for a trail bike.. i never know what types of rigs we are talking about in the dh section.

let me re-phrase, i dont see a need for a dropper on any bike. ive never wanted/needed one, i know there are others who would disagree though.

im starting to see more and more droppers on dh rigs, as well as less and less chain guides.. narrow/wide be damned, you were always told to use protection!