Quantcast

Lightest 83mm cranks?

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
i'm pretty sure anything that would break the X0 would break any other crank, or damage it to the point it cannot be used. i'm not buying into this internet-crap about them being weak.

Are Saints stronger? I don't doubt it at all, they weigh almost a pound more. I used the Saints for the last two years before this, they are definately the badass compare-all-to DH crank in terms of durability.

with that said, i have been running the BB30 DH X0 cranks now for about 4 months. i have banged the crap out of them into rocks a bunch, clipped them into rocks, trees... crashed hard on them. ive abused them more than the saints.. so far it can dish everything i put out. if or when i break them, i will update this thread so you can all laugh at me and say i told you so!

hucking with X0 cranks

send it flat

proof is in the pudding

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
i'm pretty sure anything that would break the X0 would break any other crank, or damage it to the point it cannot be used.
Are Saints stronger? I don't doubt it at all, they weigh almost a pound more. I used the Saints for the last two years before this, they are definately the badass compare-all-to DH crank in terms of durability.
Sorry, but your pretty sure XOs will survive anything Saints would, then you don't doubt Saints are stronger.
Guessing you were saying(correct me if I'm wrong), you think Saints are stronger, but you think XOs are strong enough.
But would you ride them as long as you did your previous set of Saints?

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
Sorry, but your pretty sure XOs will survive anything Saints would, then you don't doubt Saints are stronger.
Guessing you were saying(correct me if I'm wrong), you think Saints are stronger, but you think XOs are strong enough.
But would you ride them as long as you did your previous set of Saints?
Yeah I didn't phrase what I was trying to convey too well there. You are sort of correct, not wrong.

The Saints are going to last longer - more material and made out of aluminum. No argument there from me in terms of overall durability. I didn't buy my X0 to last forever, I bought it for the weight advantage and of course the carbon bling factor! Durability and strength are two different things to me. They go hand in hand, but they are different in my perspective.

However, I don't think they are weak by any means.. at least from the testing/riding I've done so far with them. I think what I was trying to say is that any single, large event that would cause failure in the X0 would probably damage any other crank as well.

What is the shelf life of most DH components anyways? I guess it's different for everyone. I replace components more often than I should just because of the paranoia of a mechanical failure causing injury.

For that same reason I don't plan on having my 2011 frame in 2013, I like riding with 100% confidence that my frame/components are not going to cause me to crash.

I'll update this thread at the end of the year after a season of lift service park riding and racing to let you all know how my X0's are doing.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Raceface seems a little burlier (steel pedal inserts) and maybe lighter than XO. Raceface's XC cranks are a lot lighter than Sram's. I now want them but I think I'll save the money for carbon rims where there's some stiffness/durability improvement and not just weight savings. Too bad the rims I want don't exist yet and these cranks are staring at me.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Their website illudes to a new interface. The Atlas says something to the effect of, "Now with blah blah interface." Same blah blah that SixC uses. I really didn't like the system used by some 3 year old Racefaces I worked on.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Their website illudes to a new interface. The Atlas says something to the effect of, "Now with blah blah interface." Same blah blah that SixC uses. I really didn't like the system used by some 3 year old Racefaces I worked on.
They still don't appear to use a pinch bolt setup=repeated diss-assembly results in the interface loosening. It's ****, always was, always will be....I should be a Shimano rep.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
The big S market speak.

Saint HOLLOWTECH II cranks are forged premium Duraluminum to form a light weight, extremely strong crank set.

I know they used this aluminum of their Dur ace cranks. But what type is it? I gather it’s not a 6061 series and most likely 7000 series aluminum.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
There was a minisite or an article a while back that showed the construction of the Saint crank, I remember it being pretty impressive. Does anyone have the link to that?

This is what they look inside if it helps Lelandjt -

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Please let us know if that perpetually-loosening scenario is still happening with the RF.
Update after a season of using the Race Face SIXC cranks:

My GG colleague, Will, has been using the current Atlas cranks since May, and I've been on the SIXC for the same time period.

Neither have had any issues at all with loosening, creaking, etc. I think their EXI system solved the issues that people used to complain about.

I didn't put any protection on my carbon cranks, other than the boots that are included, and treated them the same as any other DH crank I've ever had. They've taken a number of hits from bouncing rocks, and had a few pedal spikes grinding into them from shuttle rides. I was concerned about two pedal spike gashes, sent pix to Race Face, and they said not to worry. So, from my experience, durability seems to not be a concern.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Update after a season of using the Race Face SIXC cranks:

My GG colleague, Will, has been using the current Atlas cranks since May, and I've been on the SIXC for the same time period.

Neither have had any issues at all with loosening, creaking, etc. I think their EXI system solved the issues that people used to complain about.

I didn't put any protection on my carbon cranks, other than the boots that are included, and treated them the same as any other DH crank I've ever had. They've taken a number of hits from bouncing rocks, and had a few pedal spikes grinding into them from shuttle rides. I was concerned about two pedal spike gashes, sent pix to Race Face, and they said not to worry. So, from my experience, durability seems to not be a concern.
The day after you post this, my friend on FB posts this:

That's on his trailbike, not DH.

And I was really considering the SIXC on my new Trail bike and possibly my next DH. :(

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That sucks. Did he talk to Race Face about it? They've always been super easy to work with, ime.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I'd expect that to be warrantied. It looks like it was torn apart by pedal torque! I guess my feeling about CF is if it doesn't injure me when it breaks and is quickly warrantied, no problem. I've cracked a couple frames in the last year. I realize other people don't work at shops and are more hassled having to deal with warranties but I have other bikes to ride for those 5 days.

I used to warranty skis every month or so.

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I have a trail bike with an 83mm bb(don't ask). I need a crankset for it and would like to spend no more than $200 with bb no rings, new or near new. I prefer new but saw some great deals on pinkbike on some of the high end cranks mentioned elsewhere in the thread. but I'm 80 to 20 on buying new.
the bike will see real abuse; DH trails, canadian hucking, rock strikes etc. but still needs to pedal up a large hill and for 35 miles at a time sometimes. there are some heavy parts on the bike and I'm trying to save some weight on the rotating stuff. I ran XT's on another bike like it and never bent them. I would run those but can't find a set of the 83mm ones. I am 175lbs and a fairly smooth rider. I am unsure wether to go 170 or 175, I have always ran 175 on a trail bike. someone steer me in the right direction please.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
I have a trail bike with an 83mm bb(don't ask). I need a crankset for it and would like to spend no more than $200 with bb no rings, new or near new. I prefer new but saw some great deals on pinkbike on some of the high end cranks mentioned elsewhere in the thread. but I'm 80 to 20 on buying new.
the bike will see real abuse; DH trails, canadian hucking, rock strikes etc. but still needs to pedal up a large hill and for 35 miles at a time sometimes. there are some heavy parts on the bike and I'm trying to save some weight on the rotating stuff. I ran XT's on another bike like it and never bent them. I would run those but can't find a set of the 83mm ones. I am 175lbs and a fairly smooth rider. I am unsure wether to go 170 or 175, I have always ran 175 on a trail bike. someone steer me in the right direction please.
Well, I'm 6'3" and I run 175s on my AM bike. I like the extra bit of torque I get with them, and with my height I get a pretty good stance. That being said, 175s might be a bit too long if you're less than 6'.

As for what to buy, how about these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=82853 I just bought a set, and to be honest, there kinda a PITA to get set up. But when you do, they're pretty stiff and will take a beating.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Descendant cranks are light, but the lightest crank I would consider using on a DH bike would be the e*thirteen LG1r crank with an XC bb and 2 extra BB spacers to make it wide enough. 760grams, stronger, much stiffer, and more reliable than anything else.

I ran the same set this season, clipping rocks frequently and never had a problem.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The RS8 from memory was 50G lighter than the 7 and was for XC only. Hot forged cranks, I seem to remember the older RS7's being cold forged which I thought was better a the grain structure is more even or something like that?

You also have to remember they are coming from a company that sells 20mm front hubs with adaptors that have to be held in place when fitting a wheel and made a 9mm axle'd rear hub and the site has said new hub coming soon for about three years.

Everything they make is **** except for the coated chainrings they are amazing and they have finally made their DH rings like everyone else instead of stupidly overbuilt early 2000's designs.

I still have two sets of RS7's in my scrap metal box for recyling.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The RS8 from memory was 50G lighter than the 7 and was for XC only. Hot forged cranks, I seem to remember the older RS7's being cold forged which I thought was better a the grain structure is more even or something like that?

You also have to remember they are coming from a company that sells 20mm front hubs with adaptors that have to be held in place when fitting a wheel and made a 9mm axle'd rear hub and the site has said new hub coming soon for about three years.

Everything they make is **** except for the coated chainrings they are amazing and they have finally made their DH rings like everyone else instead of stupidly overbuilt early 2000's designs.

I still have two sets of RS7's in my scrap metal box for recyling.
I remember not so long ago everyone was on love with their cranks (rs7's). That's strange.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Descendant cranks are light, but the lightest crank I would consider using on a DH bike would be the e*thirteen LG1r crank with an XC bb and 2 extra BB spacers to make it wide enough. 760grams, stronger, much stiffer, and more reliable than anything else.

I ran the same set this season, clipping rocks frequently and never had a problem.
Yeah me too, chopped away a good amount of aluminium and their still going strong. Developed a cracking noise though but that could be the seating of the bb.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I was just made aware of the XT/83mm mod the other day. Have a pair of XTR cranks sitting around that I would love to mod to fit my 83mm shell. Has anyone done this?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I remember not so long ago everyone was on love with their cranks (rs7's). That's strange.

still have fond memories with my RS7.
compared to Saints or my E13 LG1+ they did not feel all that stiff
but they worked just fine.
replaced them because i could not be bothered with ISIS BB failures all the time.

then they started making the RS8 with the new axle and promised RS7...
nothing happened for years so the slipped of the radar

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I was just made aware of the XT/83mm mod the other day. Have a pair of XTR cranks sitting around that I would love to mod to fit my 83mm shell. Has anyone done this?
Not sure how much they have changed, but I wanted to do this to mine and couldn't:

1st step; Get yourself a set of the Shimano XT M771 or M761 “big gear” cranks. They are different from the regular XT cranks in that they come equipped with a 48/36/26t chainring combo and a slightly longer spindle–thats the important part– to accommodate the extra frame clearance these rings would need. They are available in 165mm, 170mm,175mm,and 180′s too I think. Here’s the tricky part. They’re really hard to find in the States. If you’re a shop rat you may be able to get a set of these cranks through BTI, where I got mine, or S.A.C. (Shimano America Corporation). These cranks were designed as “trekking” or “touring ” cranks and are very popular over in Europe.

Now that you’ve gotten your cranks the modifications begin.
From here:
http://www.nathanriddle.com/?p=117

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not me, I hated them from day one, the spline drive is cool but they didn't make chain rings big enough for DH that mounted directly to the spline. Back when I wasn't uber fat I still found the cranks way too flexy under power for my liking, they take the snappiness out of a frame that would normally pedal well.

Get Saint's and skip a few burgers, can't go wrong.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Its because the touring (big ring) sets have a longer spindle.

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
The day after you post this, my friend on FB posts this:

That's on his trailbike, not DH.

And I was really considering the SIXC on my new Trail bike and possibly my next DH. :(
I've seen this happen with aluminum cranks too, friend of mine did it with e13. That's not really because it's carbon. That's a bearing/net section failure which isn't shear (carbon's weak point). It's because they didn't put enough material in there, pretty basic stuff. Oh and your friend gets some a + in the badass category to pedal hard enough to tear out the chain ring.