Quantcast

Lightest 83mm cranks?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Sure it's been asked(probably even by me), but after new cranks, and figured a current thread wouldn't hurt.
So what are the lightest 83mm cranks now available?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Old G-Lights are even lighter than Descendants, but new, 2012(?) are 40 grams heavier (but stronger), so... probably about the same weight as Truvativs.

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Lightest are Clavicula DH in 83mm BB, about 450 gramms, with BB and EUR 1000, and the are really narrow, so will not fit many frames, and they are carbon, not something many will people want to try, hahaha

Last edited:

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Be interesting to remove the bb from the equation, you can chop and change with most cranks. I know there is a 20g difference between an xtr (90g) and a hope stainless (110g), Saint BBs are extra long and they aren't the lightest.

Saint run two pinch bolts that if i'm not mistaken are steel, so could shed a few grams there too, and considering the initial difference is only 80g, it would be hard to get closer to the descendant weight. I run a black pre-load bolt too, which is lighter by a g or so and not 2004 bling!

Also Saint have steel pedal inserts, something I personally don't mind adding a bit of weight for on a DH bike, with 165mm cranks I still bash pedals every now and then and its nice not to have to buy new cranks straight off.

Long story short, don't dismiss Saint based on 80g stock weight increase...

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I lost quite a bit of weight going from Saints to Carbon X0 DH BB30's with a Sram PF30 bb on my Demo.
I have abused the **** out of them, huge hucks, jumps, banging into rocks, the ground, etc... still stiff and strong as the first time i put em on.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I lost quite a bit of weight going from Saints to Carbon X0 DH BB30's with a Sram PF30 bb on my Demo.
I have abused the **** out of them, huge hucks, jumps, banging into rocks, the ground, etc... still stiff and strong as the first time i put em on.
Yeah the funny thing is these guys are small sub 165LBS and maybe a Cat 1 top 5 er between em. The one is fast would have been 2nd in Pro Men at Fontucky a few races back but still.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What is the difference in the GXP and BB30?

You are right. The LG1 E13 are lighter and way less money.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The new Race Face SIXC carbon cranks are claimed 650g with BB and 36T ring. I have a set that should arrive soon; I'll weight 'em and see. But, they are supposedly the lightest mass produced DH crank.

Moar info

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
3 guys in this area have broken em! I would stay away run XT's or other options......
Destroyed 4 XT arms between myself and a riding buddy, two each.

I think excessively light cranks are a waste of time for DH, I've been running Saints for a long time now and my only complaint is that they last long enough for the colour to rub off and start looking really bad.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Destroyed 4 XT arms between myself and a riding buddy, two each.

I think excessively light cranks are a waste of time for DH, I've been running Saints for a long time now and my only complaint is that they last long enough for the colour to rub off and start looking really bad.
It's a bltch ain't it?

Saints of any year are still the only cranks I've never, ever hurt or shamed in any way shape or form. I don't even know why you'd mess around with anything else for a dh bike.

I tried running xts once too. They lasted about a month before I bent them.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
yep.
the 68/73 are pretty damn light too (cant find a pic of the 83mm)
I weighed my pair of 170mm/83mm Six cranks with a 36T RF ring attached, and they were 610 grams!!!

It happens. On alu cranks. you probably would have ripped the pedal out of the threads, or broken a pedal spindle.

I manage to 50/50 case a significant sized gap jump at North Forks a month or so back. Not too far down (12ft) but about 25-30ft out. Exploded off the bike but no damage to myself other than bruised arches.

Anyways, bike damage was shattered LG1 bashguard, bent spindles, and on my 175mm XO cranks (73mm, non DH ones) the spindle was fully twisted and ovalized in the middle. No damage to the arms, no damage to the inserts at the BB area or the pedal threads. I was very impressed with the way these handled my abusive, outside of normal use riding, and put another pair on.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Leland O snapped an arm on them. These MTB cranks are not FLATLAND BMX cranks. So it is possible to do.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I toasted two sets of XTs before putting the original saint cranks on. Ran those for nearly 3 years before selling to a buddy and getting the newer cranks. I've run those since (about 2 years) with no problems, and will continue to do so until I can get a set of the 2013 Saints.

The XTs didn't bend, the pedal ripped out or mangled the thread. Before them I bent a set of Truvativs in a corner without even hitting anything.

In summary - Saints good....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I toasted two sets of XTs before putting the original saint cranks on. Ran those for nearly 3 years before selling to a buddy and getting the newer cranks. I've run those since (about 2 years) with no problems, and will continue to do so until I can get a set of the 2013 Saints.

The XTs didn't bend, the pedal ripped out or mangled the thread. Before them I bent a set of Truvativs in a corner without even hitting anything.

In summary - Saints good....
If you still have those xts you can throw in a T-nut. I've still got a few holzfellers going strong like that. I've never bent those either but I've ripped a pedal out of literally every pair I've had.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If you still have those xts you can throw in a T-nut. I've still got a few holzfellers going strong like that. I've never bent those either but I've ripped a pedal out of literally every pair I've had.
In one case the end of the crank arm was bent from the pedal insert out. The hole was basically 50% longer than original so I don't think it could be repaired. When the other one bent, udi stole the remaining good crank arm and used it to make a good set out of the surviving arm from a set he owned. Come to think of it, pretty sure he owes me beer for that....