Quantcast

Light, strong ... and metal.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Are Stans ZTR Flow EX comparable to the 823?
Not really. They're a substantially lighter and a bit less strong. That said, they're tough enough for DH duty for most people, provided that you're not expecting them to last 5 years.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
are there any products (frames, components, or otherwise) that are expected to last this long any more?
I've got every hope that all three frames I have right now are going to last that long. All are still in production.

*edit: all three that I have built up. Wall art excluded.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got every hope that all three frames I have right now are going to last that long. All are still in production.

*edit: all three that I have built up. Wall art excluded.

correct me if i'm wrong but all your frames are from small independent companies, correct?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but i don't think the same could be said for bikes from the big 3.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
correct me if i'm wrong but all your frames are from small independent companies, correct?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but i don't think the same could be said for bikes from the big 3.
Turner, Guerrilla Gravity and BTR. So, yes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Those are tough guy rims for people who have never owned tough guy rims on their 24lb xc bikes.

823s are dh rims, nothing stans makes is. The weight difference is something like 160g per rim. That's not spoke holes.
Yeah. I ran a set of Flows on my DH bike for a bit at one point. They lasted about a season but were pretty trashed by the end of it.

I also only weigh like 155# so there's that.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
823s are dh rims, nothing stans makes is. The weight difference is something like 160g per rim. That's not spoke holes.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
You can get DH capable rims that will last a couple seasons that weigh a bit less than an 823 (eg. Supra D), but if you're running a rim that weighs 500g or less for DH, then you either ride like a flower or you replace your rims once a season.

I myself ride like a flower. A really rough flower though so I still need 600g rims.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I had trouble getting more than a season out of the Outlaws, DT's, and WTB laser dh's. I guess the only real dh rims I've owned were Spank Spike's. And Mag 30's.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
More of an issue with Be than BeCu. Gimbal framework for the SABRE guidance system was a lovely Be machined part, sorry I never snagged one for a souvenir,
We used BE in some high frequency accelerometer calibration systems. Freaky light and super stiff, i.e. high resonant frequency.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh man. I bought some subrosas and then my dog died, my house caught on fire and my car broke an axle. The rims were fine but man, that was some shit luck.

Also......

"Oh yeah hi, my name's Westy, I calibrate accelerometers. Wanna make out?"

Braggart.
What a coincidence, my name is also westy. Sorry you have to calibrate accelerometers, boring shit. You will have to post some headshots before anyone will want to make out with you.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
Oh man. I bought some subrosas and then my dog died, my house caught on fire and my car broke an axle. The rims were fine but man, that was some shit luck.

Also......

"Oh yeah hi, my name's Westy, I calibrate accelerometers. Wanna make out?"

Braggart.
I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully your next bike brings you nothing but awesomeness and the right kind of attention ;)

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
i,d look at a SPANK rim , i have the 260trail OOZY on my bike and i have been beating on them and they are in killer shape still , switching to the newer 295trail with my next wheelset

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
trying to decide between supra d or spike 35. does anyone know where to get supras besides jenson? i cant even find any on ebay, only bh's

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Carbon rims suck for DH unless you run over 9000psi. Watched many an enve explode in front of me in Whistler.

Supra D is one of the best DH rims. 721s suck, MTX29s are okay, anything that weighs 500g or less will work if you are a squid or get free rims and wheelbuilds.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Carbon rims suck for DH unless you run over 9000psi. Watched many an enve explode in front of me in Whistler.
Well not running 9000psi at whistler is kind of stupid anyway.

It's not like you're riding on dirt anywhere.

I do have a buddy that's kept some m90s in shape all summer, whistler included. And he's faster than most. Like got paid to race world cups a while back faster than most.

That single wheel set has impressed me. The older ones not so much. Not sure what that means.......I'd like a pair but I'm not paying for them. Not on a dh bike.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Funny you should ask. That's what I've been riding this summer. The sidewalls dent.

The end

Actually not the end. They're good n' light. I like 'em. I'll be building them back up when my rear finally is unrounded.

Full wheelset with I9 hubs and their funny spokes was 1830 grams FWIW. Lightest dh wheelset I personally have ever owned. They're also the only wheelset I've ever been able to run tubeless without destroying tires. The soft sidewalls have something to do with that. I guess they're not really that soft. I just ding rims. Because dh.

-fin

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
whats the consensus on fr600's? also, dt swiss website has a 26in version of the f570 listed, but i dont see them for sale anywhere yet. says they are 570g per rim with 27.5mm inner width. basically i have a wheelset on my dhr with 823's, no problems whatsoever but if i could save a little weight and get to try a slightly wider inner width that would be nice.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The 570 is a much better rim than the FR600. Early batches of the FR600 are a real pain to get tires on and off. The 571 is much better doesn't have that problem at all. I run the 571 for a strong rear rim on my DH bike and the 471 for the front.