Quantcast

Light, strong ... and metal.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:rockout:

What's the current go-to 26" DH rim that is lighter and wider than an ex823, at least as strong. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I'm not on a carbon budget. Does somebody make a lighter 729-ish rim?

It's not that I wouldn't love some Enve rims, but I balked at even the Derbys at less than 1/3 the price. Unless somebody can hook me up, I won't go that route.

Gracias.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
+1 for Spank, specifically liking the Oozy Trail 295 wheels I just put on the new wHip. So far they seem real stiff, strong as anything else, plenty wide (25mm internal), set up tubeless really well, and they come in fun colors.

Except that you hate fun, so you can just get them in black.

EDIT: you said DH rim... Spank has those as well. But damn, those Oozy Trails are nice. Would hoon on the DH bike any damn day.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
thanks man, but thats not wider nor stronger.
what about these dt 471 rims? they appear to be mucho strong, and lighter, only 2mm wider ID. :hmm:
Those are nice but they aren't stronger than an 823.

I'm with kidwoo, you're asking for magic. Wider, stronger and lighter without going carbon doesn't really work. Something has to give.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's my point though. There's only so far you can go with aluminum. If you want better, you need to step up and go carbon. Which obviously is spendy, but damn are they nice :D

I've heard good things about the LG1 rims, but haven't used them.

DirtMerchant

Chimp
Apr 17, 2014
The Spank Oozy 295s have been perfect on the trail bike...but I wouldn't go through the trouble of having it on the DH bike. The larger Subrosa 30 doesn't have the new "bead bite" tech yet, but I think its still a contender.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The 721 I have sucks balls anyway. Put it on because I couldn't get a 823 in time before a trip. 823 or carbonz.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
3rd or 4th the EVO 35. First rim I haven't dented numerous times in a dh season. And I think you're right about Azonic = Alex. I forked up a set of Outlaws in 2 runs at Anglefahr.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have a pair of WTB Frequency I25 waiting for my lazy azz to build for the DH bike this year.
Coming from some a pair of beat DT 600's. Rear is getting pretty beat up with a whack of small dents, the front I tacoed off a step-down last season.
100 grams lighter each - we will see how they do.
Will also probably try them toobless.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
No I don't, that's why i asked if anyone had experience with derby.
I can think of five people I know who have/had LB rims. I can think of three of them who suffered a crack.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
aren't the outlaw, transition revolution and alex supra all the same rim??
Older Outlaws used the Supra BH rim - cheaper version of the Supra D, pinned vs. welded seam and heavier. It seems the newer Outlaws use a welded rim so maybe they switched to the Supra D.

Edit - I'm a fan of the Supra D and would be inclined to check out the Supra 35.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
No I don't, that's why i asked if anyone had experience with derby.
I can think of five people I know who have/had LB rims. I can think of three of them who suffered a crack.
A season on mine, and they're still going strong. I have as much trust in them as any aluminium rim.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I don't have a dh bike anymore, but I'm not so nice to my trail bike. They're 33mm hookless 3k glossy (getting as much extra material as I could for the $), and built up with Hope hubs 32h, dbl butted spokes, brass nips. I failed at weight weenie-ing, as they weighed right about the same as my last set of aluminum rims, but I gained 8 spokes a rim and some durability.
I know Pau11y's had good luck with his, too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I put half a season on my LBs...lol They-Fing rock. Got some nexties here to build up next(ie).
IMG_1166.JPG

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
Supra 35 looks interesting, what inner width?

Honestly, I'd run enduro rims 450-500g rims such as flow ex, wtbi25, dt ex471 etc. Then replace it when broke.

I'm paranoid using a chinese rim when one doesn't know if it's gonna be replaced. Heard that it's difficult to true wheel too.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Speaking about enduro rims: I have the Pacenti DL31 on my enduro which are holding up well so far. But I didn't do any dh runs on them just normal trail stuff and a few jumps. But they are pretty wide for their weight.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'm paranoid using a chinese rim when one doesn't know if it's gonna be replaced. Heard that it's difficult to true wheel too.
Umm, you replace it when/ if you break it. Just like any other rim.
And difficult to true? Not if it's built properly. And mine were some of easiest rims to build. I built up a Stan's rim for my wife after my LB's, and they were nowhere near as easy. And I've given the LB's but a few minutes of spoke wrench love in the last year.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Uhh, yeah, no. Carbon rims are actually quite a bit easier to build true, since they are a much more rigid structure. Also, harder to knock out of true, since they won't flex. Building carbon wheels is a dream compared to building aluminum, makes them seem like noodles comparatively. You know how sometimes you can never quite get it true, you can get damn close, but you always have just a little bit of hop or a slightly truing issue that OCD people will spend hours on? Make a little adjustment here, now something else gets thrown out of whack? Not with carbon, building ultra-true is easy. I dread having to build up non-carbon rims some day in the future, I'm going to have to remember to be super-patient again and deal with stupid small adjustments.

Maybe you mean that when you toast a wheel, the carbon will break, rather than bend, but with an aluminum wheel when you throw it that far out of true, you usually can never really "repair" it, you replace spokes, but now with the highly uneven tension and some spokes carrying a significantly higher load, you will continue to break spokes/nipples. That's a half dozen of one, 12 of the other situation...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We're coming up on june here so you know what that means.

This tolerance of your fatbike crap only has so much left before you start getting flaming bags of poo mailed to you. ;)
The wheels are off, I don't go fat in the summer, that's full-retard.