Quantcast

LG1 Cranksets

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
What are the differences from the first gen DH cranksets?
This year both cranksets will have an aluminum spindle which differs from the steel spindle on the LG1+ (OG DH version) of last year.
LG1r cranksets will be forged from our new proprietary Exalite+ aluminum(stiffer, stronger etc) and feature more contour machining than the LG1+ which will be forged from Exalite aluminum and continue the same contour machining. The "r" version will also have a 60g weight savings. BB options are threaded, BB30 and PF30.

The LG1 crankset will ship as an OE only part.

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
not through QBP or BTI :(
The r-cranks have been available for a while now. It's strange that these guys don't have stock.
Keep calling them. Every time they don't have an item when customers order they consider it a lost sale. It's the easiest way to get them to keep stock in an item.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
This year both cranksets will have an aluminum spindle which differs from the steel spindle on the LG1+ (OG DH version) of last year.
LG1r cranksets will be forged from our new proprietary Exalite+ aluminum(stiffer, stronger etc) and feature more contour machining than the LG1+ which will be forged from Exalite aluminum and continue the same contour machining. The "r" version will also have a 60g weight savings. BB options are threaded, BB30 and PF30.

The LG1 crankset will ship as an OE only part.
Cool, my first gen DH crank has developed some surface rust, guess that will be eliminated by the aluminum spindle. Any changes to the BBs? I didn't have the best of luck with mine, the one on my DH bike seized and the one for my XC bike is kind of gritty and grimey and It has less than 100 miles. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
Cool, my first gen DH crank has developed some surface rust, guess that will be eliminated by the aluminum spindle. Any changes to the BBs? I didn't have the best of luck with mine, the one on my DH bike seized and the one for my XC bike is kind of gritty and grimey and It has less than 100 miles. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?
Maybe.
It all comes down to conditions and how you're cleaning(or not cleaning). I'm no bearing expert but the new cups are using an angular contact bearing (for all BB types) this should eliminate some premature wear to the bearing due to inconsistencies in the BB shell etc. You can always (carefully) pop the actual cartridge bearing seals and give them a little cleaning and grease love.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Seized? Gritty? Something doesn't sound right. Ran mine for a season, pulled it off in the winter, re-greased and re-installed. I assume you have the dust caps on.

My XC cranks are running good so far too.

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
Maybe.
It all comes down to conditions and how you're cleaning(or not cleaning). I'm no bearing expert but the new cups are using an angular contact bearing (for all BB types) this should eliminate some premature wear to the bearing due to inconsistencies in the BB shell etc. You can always (carefully) pop the actual cartridge bearing seals and give them a little cleaning and grease love.
The process is pretty simple and should only take a couple minutes on the bench.
one.jpgtwo.jpgthree.jpg

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Seized? Gritty? Something doesn't sound right. Ran mine for a season, pulled it off in the winter, re-greased and re-installed. I assume you have the dust caps on.

My XC cranks are running good so far too.
I definitely had the dust caps on.

The process is pretty simple and should only take a couple minutes on the bench.
View attachment 110935View attachment 110936View attachment 110937
I did that exact thing for both BB's and they were good for 1-2 rides. The weird thing about both BB's is that one bearing is a lot better than another. One bearing on the DH BB is seized and one spins smoothly. One bearing on the XC BB is a lot more gritty and the other is pretty good.

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
I did that exact thing for both BB's and they were good for 1-2 rides. The weird thing about both BB's is that one bearing is a lot better than another. One bearing on the DH BB is seized and one spins smoothly. One bearing on the XC BB is a lot more gritty and the other is pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you keep crashing on the same side, hence one side being gritty ;)
Sounds interesting in any case. Has the BB shell been faced(properly) etc? The way a standard bearing is loaded if the shell faces are not parallel it can (and most likely will) lead to some bearing problems. I would also recommend you start riding inside. There's a far better chance your bearing, seals etc. will not get contaminated.