Quantcast

Leogang Bratwurst Party Thread

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
So Steve Smith, 35'ish seconds off in 78th place. Anybody know the details? A crash would be less time consuming so assuming a mechanical? I just want him healthy and confident and mixing it up again as a top guy and hoping nothing happened to delay that progression.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Stevie looked hurt to me. After his crash, he was really slow (for him) getting back on his bike. By the bottom he was hauling, but who knows what kind of horrific injury he can power through. I really hope he's ok- looking forward to see him back to form!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
"A Specialized works good with no chain"

Semantics... but take another listen. I thought the same thing at first and was like "huh?" because the new demo isn't exactly known for excessive chain growth.. but I think his intent (and the vibe I got was more about gabbin with Troy about "I like this bike"...

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Incredible! And Kona Fearon 2nd!
The riders will definitely think again about pedaling in the future. I foresee coming back these things and wind channel-tuck-testing:

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
So is it now OK to talk about the superfluous, look-at-me pedal strokes that the modern generation is so fond of?

Can someone dial up Nico and have him give a clinic on the art of the tuck? Seems that Gwin can offer the training now as well.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What a race! Gutted for Manon - maybe the UCI needs to look at a time penalty situation instead of a total DQ? I guess there'd be some tactical assessment going on then of whether cutting a section might be worth the time penalty? Either way, getting DQ'ed shoots down the chances of a season repeat for sure.

And Gwin - holy sheet. As soon as the chain snapped I thought Fearon had it for sure given the massive open sprint section. Earlier Bulldog was saying how they were sprinting into the wind to just get to the landings on those jumps. Amazing that Gwin tucked and managed to go faster than everyone else.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Also, I'm claiming that they built that start hut deliberately too small for Minaar. Poor dude hits his head on the gate starting his run, then has to refix his googles in the first 30 metres, then slips on the last flat corner before the final rock drop. Must not be happy to have come so close.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Gwin putting on a clinic. Unbelievable.

Edit: Notice he went over that huge stump? I don't think many guys did that.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Also, I'm claiming that they built that start hut deliberately too small for Minaar. Poor dude hits his head on the gate starting his run, then has to refix his googles in the first 30 metres, then slips on the last flat corner before the final rock drop. Must not be happy to have come so close.
i guess not being a trade team definitely has its disadvantages... i'm guessing the syndicate never got the specs on the start hut measurements or were told there was a potentially slidey corner near the bottom. let's see if we hear about it in the post race interviews.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well to be fair, all suspension bicycles work better without a chain.

........just not supposed to SAY that when you're on the payroll :rofl:

New demo w/ footpegs next year: "the gwinninator" or some shit.

More than anything this just tells me that all the bitching about leogang is what I thought it was.......needless whining. If you can win without a chain, that ain't no enduro course.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
What a race! Gutted for Manon - maybe the UCI needs to look at a time penalty situation instead of a total DQ? I guess there'd be some tactical assessment going on then of whether cutting a section might be worth the time penalty? Either way, getting DQ'ed shoots down the chances of a season repeat for sure.

And Gwin - holy sheet. As soon as the chain snapped I thought Fearon had it for sure given the massive open sprint section. Earlier Bulldog was saying how they were sprinting into the wind to just get to the landings on those jumps. Amazing that Gwin tucked and managed to go faster than everyone else.

After Brosnan there seemed to be less headwind, which obviously helped gaining momentum for the last guys.
But what a run from Gwin.
His reaction after the finish line: Priceless.

Still a little gutted for Fearon, but he was also lucky no to be dq'd. Now that would have been a drama...

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
That was Troy haha, not Connor. Connor just looked shocked.
Haha, I was gonna say it was Troy. Wonder if Ginger Jezas was offended by the bad language.
How many times does god have to try and fuck with his run before Gwin gets pissed off?

Joking aside, massive respect for that dude, certainly one of the best runs I have ever had the pleasure of watching live. Amazing.

Connor wasn't lucky per say, he just cut it close. He was well within the course cutting laws - similar to Remi's wide line through that gully really.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Connor wasn't lucky per say, he just cut it close. He was well within the course cutting laws - similar to Remi's wide line through that gully really.
Saw that Remi line. He basically just pushed the tape to the side to get it. Advantages of using something flexible for a boundary I guess.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
More than anything this just tells me that all the bitching about leogang is what I thought it was.......needless whining. If you can win without a chain, that ain't no enduro course.
while I somewhat agree, I don't think the whining was because it was too enduro-y, but rather too bike park-y. In that sense, it would have helped a chainless run because bike park courses are usually built to maintain momentum.

Regardless, there was enough gnar in that course to slow anyone with bad lines/not on their lines. IMO, Gwin put on a clinic in line choice, commitment, focus and athleticism. It was awesome to watch. I thought it was going to be a boring race, but it turned out to be plenty exciting.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Another interesting point, how many air shocks were used in this race. Think it's the most I've seen in any previous DH race?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I think he was just really upset up there. It really doesn't matter to get a few points now as he is well outside the top 40.
I think he was more like "ahh fvck that sh!t" in that moment.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think he was just really upset up there. It really doesn't matter to get a few points now as he is well outside the top 40.
I think he was more like "ahh fvck that sh!t" in that moment.
I hope you're right. washing out in berms frequently leads to shoulder injuries IME. I hope that's not the case...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Initially i thought smith had a floppy blue rubbery thing issue....Thought he washed out because of rear tyre losing air or the bead or something..