Quantcast

KS LEV - school me on it

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Man, I feel so out of step with all you cool kids.
I'm still living with a perfectly working example of the first run of first generation of reverb.
According to the internets, It should have self destructed by now, killing at least me and possibly a small stray dog.

What can I do about this, I wanna be a cool kid?

michael

ps - btw, how do the new generation compare to the earlier stuff like my reverb except the obvious stealth option - any worth-while changes?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Reverbs........weird ass thumb position no matter which lever, which side, top or bottom of the bar. Even when new and freshly bled there's just way more effort getting the damn thing pressed. That sucks when you're bouncing through stuff so rough and you want to hit it. It's hard to do. And yeah I've ridden them plenty enough to 'get used to it'.

And then after a while they get reallllyyy ssssllllloooooowwwwwww and you have to bleed them.

Pretty much unrideable. Even the new ones.

I like the access to the cable on the non-integrated levs if you need to adjust something and the southpaw or a fucked front shifter are just way more natural and light feeling.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yup, have to agree about them getting a case of teh slows.
I bleed mine every spring and that usually does it for the season.

I don't find you have to go all hulk on the remote - mine is on the bottom of the left bar and I have no issues making it go. Then again I came from a fully mechanical dropper past (All-Mountain-Post) so may have built up an extraordinary amount of strength in my thumb, so don't find the stiffer Reverb remote all that bad.

Probably a good thing, cause if I had one of the girlyman lev remotes I would probably crush the handlebar whilst trying to drop my seat and end up causing an unintended dismount and therefor killing the small stray dog I was about to bunny-hop...

Sounds like not enough has changed to warrant looking further at the moment.
Cheers for the 411 Woo.

michael

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Reverbs........weird ass thumb position no matter which lever, which side, top or bottom of the bar. Even when new and freshly bled there's just way more effort getting the damn thing pressed. That sucks when you're bouncing through stuff so rough and you want to hit it. It's hard to do. And yeah I've ridden them plenty enough to 'get used to it'.

And then after a while they get reallllyyy ssssllllloooooowwwwwww and you have to bleed them.

Pretty much unrideable. Even the new ones.
:stupid:

I like the access to the cable on the non-integrated levs if you need to adjust something
Yeah, but the amount of shit that needs adjusting on the LEV is stupid. Their secondary cable to loop under to the bottom of the post is a PITA. The fact that the nuts on the seat clamp aren't keyed at all, and just rely on friction to not rotate is moronic. The whole setup is way more dependent on cable tension than it should be.

I've owned a LEV, a Reverb and a Thomson, and the Thomson is better than the other two by such a huge margin it isn't even funny.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Yeah, but the amount of shit that needs adjusting on the LEV is stupid. Their secondary cable to loop under to the bottom of the post is a PITA. The fact that the nuts on the seat clamp aren't keyed at all, and just rely on friction to not rotate is moronic. The whole setup is way more dependent on cable tension than it should be.

I've owned a LEV, a Reverb and a Thomson, and the Thomson is better than the other two by such a huge margin it isn't even funny.
Yeah, but they aint got no mobile compatible website so according to the big G they are shite.

Never saw one in real life. On the other hand I'm quite happy with my LEV, 3yrs on duty, no flaws so far.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I've never had an integra. I actually like being able to access the connection point outside. It's almost completely hidden on my bike anyway because it goes through the top tube with about two inches poking out the rear (heh).

Other than a rebuild after a year of riding it, I haven't had any problems. Thomsons have gold staUnchunz though. Not even really rideable.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thomsons have gold staUnchunz though. Not even really rideable.
They just need to come out with a Kashima version. They'd sell millions.

I've never had an integra. I actually like being able to access the connection point outside.
But in all seriousness, that's sort of my point. The fact that the LEV has that crazy connection point and kevlar cable that needs fucking with from time to time is a lot of what I don't like about it. Also, their lever ergonomics suck balls. Mine had a little bit of play in it from new, which my Thomson still doesn't, despite having had exactly zero service, and I bought the Thomson right when they came out.

Anybody want to buy a 150mm, 30.9 LEV in really nice shape? :D

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah they do until you ferk over anudder $50 for the Southpaw. That thing is dope! Should come as standard.
I assume it doesn't because they don't want the standard lever to be incompatible with a front shifter. I agree though, I'd like that much better.

That said, Thomson figured out how to make a shifter compatible lever not suck. It's not rocket science.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
They just need to come out with a Kashima version. They'd sell millions.

But in all seriousness, that's sort of my point. The fact that the LEV has that crazy connection point and kevlar cable that needs fucking with from time to time is a lot of what I don't like about it. Also, their lever ergonomics suck balls. Mine had a little bit of play in it from new, which my Thomson still doesn't, despite having had exactly zero service, and I bought the Thomson right when they came out.

Anybody want to buy a 150mm, 30.9 LEV in really nice shape? :D
What crazy connection point? The cable with a hook on the end?
Are you talking about the integra (internal cable), or the normal one?

It is very easy to remove once you set it initially (normal one), and I like how the cable does not pooch out when the saddle is dropped (like the Thomson does).
Ditch the stoopid kevlar cable for a real one, use an old front shifter to actuate and it can't be beat.

I'll give you $100 for the post if it's not an Integra.
If it is non-Woo approved color (not black), price drops to $80.

Are you that guy that paid $500 for the Thomson cranks that Truvativ made 10 years ago? :brows:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What crazy connection point? The cable with a hook on the end?
Are you talking about the integra (internal cable), or the normal one?
Normal.

It is very easy to remove once you set it initially (normal one), and I like how the cable does not pooch out when the saddle is dropped (like the Thomson does).
Ditch the stoopid kevlar cable for a real one, use an old front shifter to actuate and it can't be beat.
Does using a normal cable actually work? I'd figured the bend radius was too tight around the pulleys.

Are you that guy that paid $500 for the Thomson cranks that Truvativ made 10 years ago? :brows:
Fuck no.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The fact that the LEV has that crazy connection point and kevlar cable that needs fucking with from time to time is a lot of what I don't like about it.
ohh.......yeah....okay, now I see

Don't use any of that shit. I've got a straight length of normal cable housing running straight to a southpaw (formerly a raped front derailleur shifter). And once setup, I've never adjusted doodly squat. All that extra cable bullshit is just an IQ test.

Anybody want to buy a 150mm, 30.9 LEV in really nice shape?
Yes!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I had a LEV on a rental bike with the tiny ass thumb-lever right next to the grip. It was pretty much effortless compared to my reverb. I'd buy one just to not have to bleed my post once in a great while.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It is pretty handy that the thumb lever doubles as an ODI lock-on lockring. I've got a southpaw lever waiting till I convert to a 1x setup though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
ohh.......yeah....okay, now I see

Don't use any of that shit. I've got a straight length of normal cable housing running straight to a southpaw (formerly a raped front derailleur shifter). And once setup, I've never adjusted doodly squat. All that extra cable bullshit is just an IQ test.
That does sound better. Fuck that kevlar bullshit. So you're just running a normal cable all the way through, from the bottom of the post, around the pulleys and through the housing to the lever?

I tried to PM you but it opens a file selection dialog when I click "Start a conversation". I think my computer may have become sentient and is effectively breathalyzing me.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
A hydraulic line to actuate a seat post seems absurd. A clutch on a motorbike or car, sure. But sometimes even those are cable actuated and run just fine. IMPO it's a poor design choice. Bleeding your line to actuate your post? No thanks!

KS FTW.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That does sound better. Fuck that kevlar bullshit. So you're just running a normal cable all the way through, from the bottom of the post, around the pulleys and through the housing to the lever?

I tried to PM you but it opens a file selection dialog when I click "Start a conversation". I think my computer may have become sentient and is effectively breathalyzing me.

No pulleys, I've got the regular lev (the integras have the pulleys right?). But yeah just a normal cable/housing straight into a thumb lever, on one side and then the barrel hook on the other. I cut the shifter cable just a tiny bit too short and then tension mostly with that. Then just a little with the barrel adjuster at the shifter/southpaw lever.

I'm about to disappear into the desert for a few days but shoot me an email when you can and I'll get you some pics.

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
Kidwoo- he is talking about the internal cable on the regular levs that runs from the seat collar down to the actuator at the bottom of the post. This is all internal. There is no way you could get a regular shifter cable in there. The design is stupid even for a Kevlar cable. It works though. The integra doesn't have this because they run a they shifter cable straight to the actuator at the bottom of the post.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Ah will convert to 1x once the running gear is a bit more worn down. Bit of a waste upgrading it when its all pretty much brand new.

Alternative to the Southpaw - http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-lindarets-remount-remote-dropper-adapter.html
Saw that this morning, thought, hey, why don't I do that? Made a second for a buddy. Big ride w lots of use tonight... Verdict is, waaaay better. And a lot lighter than an old shifter. That lindarets one looks like it'll be great.
image.jpg
image.jpg

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
^ Nice.

What did you use for the clamp?
Thanks! It's one of the avid clamps for their shifters. I think they're more expensive than the lindarets mod by themselves, but I had a couple in my toolbox from random shifters.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have a borked X.0 shifter in my bin that I could steal the clamp from. Might have to rig one up myself.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It is pretty handy that the thumb lever doubles as an ODI lock-on lockring. I've got a southpaw lever waiting till I convert to a 1x setup though.
Had my original Lev for a couple of years with no issues, swapped it onto the ladies bike as I wanted to change from the 100 to a 125 drop. The new lighter weight remote doesn't hold the grip at all to act as a lockring. I think it's even marred my carbon bars because of the changed design having a sharp inside edge :/

DirtMerchant

Chimp
Apr 17, 2014
Can anyone tell me if the 250 max PSI is taken at the compressed or extended position? There is a 70 PSI difference on the 150 Integra...

The Southpaw lever is a big improvement ergonomics wise. However, the clamping on it is utter garbage! Everything is smothered in carbon paste and beyond comfortable torque levels for a carbon bar. Both the clamp and lever has slipped. I have to run the lever up against the brake to keep it in place.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
4130biker hooked me up with a nub and I got it set up with my Thomson lever last night. Great improvement in terms of lever placement and cable routing.
Nub.JPG

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kidwoo- he is talking about the internal cable on the regular levs that runs from the seat collar down to the actuator at the bottom of the post. This is all internal. There is no way you could get a regular shifter cable in there. The design is stupid even for a Kevlar cable. It works though. The integra doesn't have this because they run a they shifter cable straight to the actuator at the bottom of the post.
Just saw this......you're right of course. I assumed he was talking about all the other stuff that I just ignored when I got the thing. I figured sure, there might be something Kevlar in there :rofl:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just saw this......you're right of course. I assumed he was talking about all the other stuff that I just ignored when I got the thing. I figured sure, there might be something Kevlar in there :rofl:
Well, when that kevlar cable breaks you can open it up and see how retarded the design is.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've already had mine apart. I had to disassemble it to put on a pretty anodized blue collar so that the robot army would implode.

Does kinda look like a rube Goldberg machine in there.

Turns out though.........kinda keeps working. I've got some Kevlar lines supporting way more critical things than my ass that have held up well.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I didn't want to start a new thread for my question, so:
Has any monkey already expirience with the new Giant Dropper post? They are now available with a 150mm drop and don't have the setback anymore. If the mechanic is somewhat identical as in thir old offering, I'd give this post a try in 2016.
Plus, it's cheap.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Just bought a new DX, and it's got a weird trait. The first time I actuate it on a ride, it doesn't release unless I really jam on it. After that it's fine for the whole ride. Is this normal? Does it go away after being broken in?