Quantcast

Kowa Help?

dhjoe

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Boulder, CO
Hello there everyone.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Kowa downhill forks, specifically the MOBS Stage 2. I have an opportunity to purchase one for dirt cheap but have not had much luck finding any info either online or otherwise. I have been to the website with limited luck (its Japanese, and even with a translator its sketchy). Anyhow, any info would be greatly appreciated.

-dhjoe

dhjoe

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Boulder, CO
wujj,

Thanks, I will check it out.

Anybody out there have any experience with the adjustments on this fork i.e. preload, compression and rebound. I was told that the only dial adjusts were rebound, and that comp. and preload could only be changed via swaping springs and changing oil weights. If this is true, it could be more of a pain than it is worth. But on the plus side, from what I have seen (through personal inspection and short test rides) the fork is extremely plush, more so than any fork I have ever ridden. So it could be worth the effort, assuming the parts are available and reasonably priced. Thoughts anyone?

-dhjoe

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
cant say anything about the fork, but a lack of compression adjustment is not necessarily a serious issue. Marzocchi only offered a (decent working) compression adjustement with the introduction of the 888 last year, and the '03 MonsterT (MX carts). If its well tuned to begin with, its not all that necessary for most.

dhjoe

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Boulder, CO
Ok, slight change in direction...

Has anyone ever used one of these forks (any model, MOBS, DH-R, GISM) or ever heard of anyone using one? I know they are very uncommon in the states, but I figured it was worth asking.

Thanks,

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
i rode one for a year. It is okay, no product support and seals leaked despite replacing them twice. They were not easy to get either. Also very heavy i would buy a used boxxer, or a shiver if you want quality upside down fork

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
dhjoe said:
Ok, slight change in direction...

Has anyone ever used one of these forks (any model, MOBS, DH-R, GISM) or ever heard of anyone using one? I know they are very uncommon in the states, but I figured it was worth asking.

Thanks,
I remember checking them out a few years ago at Interbike. The smoothness and damping feel was awesome, but I never did get to ride one. The next season the DirtWorks team was using them, but did not have good reviews. They claimed that to save weight they received forks with lower end internals that practically had no damping.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Are these the same ones marketed under the THE brand?
I rode one once. The fork felt good but it had a strange linear feel when you pushed on it. It settled down on the trail though. PM two1, he rode one for at least a season when he was with Dirtworks.

dhjoe

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Boulder, CO
pugslybell said:
i rode one for a year. It is okay, no product support and seals leaked despite replacing them twice. They were not easy to get either. Also very heavy i would buy a used boxxer, or a shiver if you want quality upside down fork

Yeah, I figured Product Support would be pretty much nill seeing as how they are based in Japan and dont really distribute here. But I was hoping that if spare parts were not too big a hassle to aquire it might still be worth riding for a season. I sent them an email today asking about parts and availability, I anxiously await their responce (if any).

dhjoe

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Boulder, CO
buildyourown said:
Are these the same ones marketed under the THE brand?
I rode one once. The fork felt good but it had a strange linear feel when you pushed on it. It settled down on the trail though. PM two1, he rode one for at least a season when he was with Dirtworks.
One and the same. I wonder what ever happened to that alliance? Probably priced themselves out of the market, from what I understand these puppies were'nt cheap. Anyhow, thanks for the info, I will PM two1 and pick his brain.

dhjoe

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Boulder, CO
Well, I must say I am quite impressed with these guys. As I mentioned earlier I sent KOWA an email requesting info (spare parts, english manual availability etc.) on this fork. It took them a few days but they came through in spades. They supplied me with all the info I could ever want (in their best engrish I might add), very impressive for a Japanese company. Anyhow, I figured while I was at it I would ask about '05 models and they sent me this:

Still pretty expensive though (retail $1900) but I just cant get over the weight, thats super light. I wonder how well they work?

Attachments

pl2

Chimp
Nov 20, 2011
i know some seller of 2011-2012 Kowa forks incl. for dirt,
price (if you buy any 3 Kowa pcs, free shipping) is:

KOWA GF 2890 USD
200-SX 2450 USD
RX air 2650 USD
FR 1750 USD ( 1-1/8 : 20 quick system available and 1.5 tapered Steering tube)
CX 950 USD
100CE 700 USD

discounts can be offered but depends on QTY. Warranty 1 year.
also can supply Kowa forks with spare parts for separate $

spec. of KOWA GF
-Alloy 40mm O.D. Inner Tube - "Kashima" Coat HardAnodized
-Alloy Outer Tube
-Full Machined Alloy Dual Crown
w/ Direct Stem Mount Upper Crown
-Color ; Gold, Silver and Black
-Weight = 3.4kg

Function
-Adjustable Air Pressure

Attachments

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can you stop spamming Kowa? They really don't need a spammer to hurt their reputation, they have crap forks for that.