Quantcast

Just went over 300k miles.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Wife and I bought a 2000 Mazda MPV minivan at the end of 1999. The only goodies we told the dealer we wanted was tinted windows and AC. Though it took a bit after the sale to get the tinted windows, we have driven this van with 5 miles at the time of sale to Monterey, CA, Mammoth numerous times, Phoenix/Mexico, many, many cycling events, the Bay area, and as our commuter to work. Even now, it still gets 22-26 mpg, and that's with the commute to Tahoe over Kingsbury. Haven't had to replace much...... various belts, gaskets, exhaust, and a few other items (sure hope I haven't jinxed us now). And it has many, many memories regarding a certain angel that has touched it. In fact, it was after today's visit that I hit the 300k mark.

And to think wife has wanted to trade it in/sell it since it had 100k miles. Let's see how much farther it takes me/us.

Attachments

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Considering the wear on a .030" overbore, I suspect my Volvo wagon is getting ready to turn over to either 300K or 400K.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
by exposing your minivan you have forfeited your man card.......so sorry, good luck in post op
Over ruled. Page 32, paragraph 4 of the man card code book clearly states that any mini van with tinted windows, shall be deemed excellent for stealth trail camouflage. Perfect for concealing rowdy mountain bikers and their expensive toys.

Man card remains intact.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just ask rideit about jinxes. :D

April:
"I don't think most of you are familiar with newer Fords. They rock.
Freaking reliable."
"My 04' has 140k on it. (Knocking on wood) it is running like a top. Never had to do any non-wear item repair on it ever...and I drive it hard."

August:
"I dunno, but when I was composing myself to go home, we put new ATF into the truck, and confirmed that my tranny is pooched (trademarked term!).This is why I was on a borrowed hipster mobile in the first place. I have no reverse gear in the truck. "

Last edited:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Yes, yes I do drive too much. That's why I appreciated ClifBar's "2 Mile Challenge", and hope they bring it back. Then again, am I really supposed to ride to N* for a day of trails?

As for the man card, thank goodness for Page 32/Paragraph 4. I was worried I wouldn't be able to hang with you all any more.......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001

Um, uh, oh boy, how do I politely say.......... I'd be happy with 250-300hp, enough to be able to tow goodies. 1000? Remember, I do use it as my commuter, so I'm still concerned about mpg's. That is, until I get a chance to try one of those Elios things on for size.

As for AWD, agreed. When it snows in Tahoe, though I'm good at putting on chains, it would be nice to not have to deal with the thumpthumpthump while driving.....

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I use to only own trucks, then gas prices went up. So I switched to Subarus. I would like a truck, but I drive 40 miles to work each day (80 round trip). Plus my Subaru is more fun to drive.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
My buddy has a 2006 Forester. He's in the throes of installing a 2" lift and 30" tires with fancy pants shocks.

He's had it since 2006. He's totally torn it apart multiple times. Changed out all kinds of stuff over the years

out west when I first in stalled the 4-bolt L6 tranny I pulled & changed the clutch 3 times in one day (the turbo kept frying every clutch we tried – in the end I had to put a 6 puck ceramic race clutch in) – that was shit to drive & I suffered all winter with it – then I changed my tranny to the 8-bolt hi-lo and slapped in a nice exedy clutch with light weight alum flywheel….
He loves that thing

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
And as a haha today, I took wife's car in for a funny "playing card in the spokes" sound, and when I told my mechanic about going over 300k, he says, "now dump it". Gee, this from the guy that has taken excellent care of the van for 13/14-odd years. I'm going to prove his buttox wrong, wink wink..... (that is, as long as he's the one that works on it still)......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was behind a final-US-generation Mazda MPV today. Funny thing, that, taller than a Mazda5 but equally narrow? I'm not sure if the last gen had AWD as an option, but earlier ones certainly did.

Modern minivans are huge, the better part of a foot longer than my Land Cruiser, which itself barely fits in the garage...

Update: http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mpv/ shows that AWD was lost with the final/only 2000 model year revision.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
That's what I'm on about. The size of the 5 is perfect. It fits into regular parking spots. It's decently nimble. YOu don't feel like you're at the helm of a 747. And I am a HUGE fan of the two sliding doors. Makes for easy installation of ski boots onto kid feet. Not to mention there is no more flinging of the doors open into neighbouring vehicles.

If there was an AWD "Speed 5".....that would be the perfect vehicle.

......and they could stand to apply a few more coats of paint.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As it is, the unavailability of navigation and a rear view camera kills the prospects of the Mazda5, IMO. Mazda has neglected it far too long, with only minor taillight refreshes and the like.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
That's what I'm on about. The size of the 5 is perfect.
It's a pretty decent size - even for 5. We rented one in FL last spring for the 5 of us. Now I wouldn't want to go on any road trips with that many people in it... but for our light-traveling family it worked well. And you're right about the sliding doors... dunno why more mfg'rs don't make a vehicle like that with the sliders.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mitsubishi made it, back in the early 1990s. No one bought it.

Now we have CAFE footprint rules that favor having more vehicles classified as trucks and SUVs...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
doesn't canadmos have a mazda that is falling apart around him?

here.....although he doesn't say what model his mazda is...

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
They didn't sell Mitsubishi in Canada back then. I am not familiar..unless it was branded as "Eagle" (just checked....it was an Eagle Vista in Canada) ...did it seat 6?

Mitsubishi made it, back in the early 1990s. No one bought it.

Now we have CAFE footprint rules that favor having more vehicles classified as trucks and SUVs...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No third row in those bad boys, iirc. A few small vehicles have offered third rows a la the Mazda5, namely Kia Rondo, last gen RAV4, Mitsubishi Outlander, but at least the Rondo was similarly unloved, and none had the key sliding doors.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Here's the ticket for sliding doors:

ooooooohhhhh......

But seriously....the 5 has so many great functional features. I don't really care about reverse cameras etc. But being able to carry my kids, and their friends, or fold up the seats and carry a crap-pile of stuff....all in a relatively small vehicle...it's pretty sweet. And in my area, they are plentiful to say the least. They just need the AWD and 50 more hp...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
ooooooohhhhh......

But seriously....the 5 has so many great functional features. I don't really care about reverse cameras etc. But being able to carry my kids, and their friends, or fold up the seats and carry a crap-pile of stuff....all in a relatively small vehicle...it's pretty sweet. And in my area, they are plentiful to say the least. They just need the AWD and 50 more hp...
If you can't afford a Mercedes, then it is your civic duty to buy a Toyota Yaris.