Quantcast

Ive got some questions about UCI and the world championships(please help)

biker3

Turbo Monkey
well after watching earthed I've gotten a better view on the Dh scene. First one is why does everyone wear tights at the world championships? Is it such a serious race they're that worried about it? Even Steve Peat who said " its good to beat those skinsuit wearing *******. Also do Juniors like Sam Hill race right with the pros or are they in their own seperate devision? Another is Does the World chamionships count for UCI point or is it another seperate thing. Sorry these things have been bugging the **** out me so if you could help me out thatd be cool.

thanks

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
the juniors have their own class (im pretty sure).
I remember hearing that last year sam hill (junior) was 4 seconds off minnar and he had a crash! :eek:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Pip3r said:
the juniors have their own class (im pretty sure).
I remember hearing that last year sam hill (junior) was 4 seconds off minnar and he had a crash! :eek:
Hill is a nut. He beat the rest of the juniors field by 11 (that's ELEVEN) seconds, with a fairly high-speed otb crash. If you were the guy who came 2nd (was it Atherton?), wouldn't you feel demoralised knowing that you got absolutely annihilated - AND the guy who beat you had a big crash in his run? Like there's pretty much no way that an OTB crash can cost you less than 10-15 seconds... mindblowing.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Juniors with racing ages between 17 and 18 have their own class at Worlds. The UCI doesn't permit riders with a racing age of less than 17 to race at Worlds anymore, although AC Chausson won her first gold at 15. In XC riders between 19-23 have their own class as well.
As far as skinsuits at worlds, the main reason riders wear them is that it is the one race every year where Sport science geeks like myself have control over DH racers. A skinsuit is good for ~2 seconds on most courses. Many of the more insecure riders from the more... homophobic nations (cough.... UK cough...) are actually forced into their skinsuits by large handed soigneurs...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
SuspectDevice said:
As far as skinsuits at worlds, the main reason riders wear them is that it is the one race every year where Sport science geeks like myself have control over DH racers. A skinsuit is good for ~2 seconds on most courses. Many of the more insecure riders from the more... homophobic nations (cough.... UK cough...) are actually forced into their skinsuits by large handed soigneurs...
Actually it has a lot more to do with National Teams skimping on budgets for a rather small number of riders (compared to road, cyclocross, track, & xc).

-ska todd

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ska todd said:
Actually it has a lot more to do with National Teams skimping on budgets for a rather small number of riders (compared to road, cyclocross, track, & xc).

-ska todd

wow waddaya know!

i always thought that was a south america only thing

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
vitox said:
i always thought that was a south america only thing
Most national federations could give a rats ass about DH/4X because we aren't an Olympic sport. To them it's not about the coverage in the magazines, TV, or on videos but the money that comes into them under the veil of Olympic team funding. I'm curious to see how BMX will change in the next couple of years as the sport moves into it's Olympic era.

-ska todd

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
ska todd said:
Most national federations could give a rats ass about DH/4X because we aren't an Olympic sport. To them it's not about the coverage in the magazines, TV, or on videos but the money that comes into them under the veil of Olympic team funding. I'm curious to see how BMX will change in the next couple of years as the sport moves into it's Olympic era.

-ska todd
i think here (in germany) its not so much about funding from for the olympics (thats of course a big part but not the real problem) its just that the people who are in charge of our cycling federation, just don't understand this sport.
they still believe we are just rolling down a hill.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
So what DO you think the chances of DH becoming an Olympic sport are? I mean it definitly has its merits and is in everyway ready. The only problem I see is there being a lack of real mountains some places, however, thinking of Sea Otter, I believe this too can be overcome. Maybe I'm just overly optimisic...

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
neversummersnow said:
So what DO you think the chances of DH becoming an Olympic sport are? I mean it definitly has its merits and is in everyway ready. The only problem I see is there being a lack of real mountains some places, however, thinking of Sea Otter, I believe this too can be overcome. Maybe I'm just overly optimisic...
I dont think it should be an olympic sprt. Theres no way most summer olympic games sites would have the capacity to hold a true dh event anywhere near the games venues. Even if they did build a course on a small hill (i.e. sea otter, Calgary) it would just make the sport look extremely retarded to millions of people watching. Mtnx though could have potential with a good course I think.
Dont get me wrong, I would love to see downhill as an olympic sport if it could be executed properly but I just dont see that being done.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
heikkihall said:
I dont think it should be an olympic sprt. Theres no way most summer olympic games sites would have the capacity to hold a true dh event anywhere near the games venues. Even if they did build a course on a small hill (i.e. sea otter, Calgary) it would just make the sport look extremely retarded to millions of people watching. Mtnx though could have potential with a good course I think.
Dont get me wrong, I would love to see downhill as an olympic sport if it could be executed properly but I just dont see that being done.
2012 Olympics, New York City (down to the final 4? 2?). We could have the DH event at Mtn Creek, less than an hour away from NYC. Would love to have it be part of the Olympics, imagine what could be done if it were shot right; think 20 cameras going down the course so every section can be seen, split times. It'd be AMAZING. It'd be from a viewpoint that even we haven't seen, the best videos/coverage has maybe 4-5 cameras coming down the mtn. Imagine enough cameras to fully shoot an entire 4 min. course. *That* would be cool.

But for now, it's just a pipe-dream... :rolleyes:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
thaflyinfatman said:
Hill is a nut. He beat the rest of the juniors field by 11 (that's ELEVEN) seconds, with a fairly high-speed otb crash. If you were the guy who came 2nd (was it Atherton?), wouldn't you feel demoralised knowing that you got absolutely annihilated - AND the guy who beat you had a big crash in his run? Like there's pretty much no way that an OTB crash can cost you less than 10-15 seconds... mindblowing.
In earthed Atherton was second on the podium to Minnar and then there was Barel in 3rd. Where was Hill on that podium if he beat Atherton? Damn this stuff is confusing me. BTW where are the worlds this year and is there a chance OLN will cover it into the US?

thanks

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
thats not gee atherton beside minaar and barel at the world champs, he raced in juniors, a different category.

Not all the massive world cup coverage on major tv is any good, the bbc have done an amazing job on the few events they have covered so far. Euro sport have been doing it for years and some of them look very very lame...and then you ride the courses and its a different story!!!

this years worlds are in Les Gets in France in September (I think its the 12th).
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Irish juniors, Ben Reid and Jamie Popham, I'm pretty sure they are ranked first and second fastest juniors in the world.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Alright, there's four classes at the World Championships in Downhill. Elite Men and Women, then Junior Men and Women.

Minnaar won the Elite Men, therefore he gets to wear the rainbow jersey until the next Worlds. Sam Hill won the Junior Men, which is a different class. Gee Atherton came in Second in the Junior Men. Here's the top 5 of the two Male classes.

Elite Men
1. Greg Minnaar (SA), 4:37.78
2. Mickael Pascal (F), at 0.92
3. Fabien Barel (F), at 1.33
4. Steve Peat (GB), at 2.37
5. Chris Kovarik (Aus), at 4.51

Junior Men
1. Sam Hill (Aus), 4:39.49
2. George Atherton (GB), at 11.00
3. Cyrille Kurtz (F), at 14.98
4. Kyle Strait (USA), at 18.07
5. Duncan Riffle (USA), at 20.08