Quantcast

It's not the bike, it's the rider

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
How true do you think it is? Ever since I got my bighit, I've been a much better jumper/overall rider. I can't see myself doing the same on a hardtail or any other bike really.

Whaddaya think?

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
It is nearly 100% rider unless you are on equipment that doesn't fit or isn't suited for the purpose. Look at Sanjay jumping that beach cruiser... well that might hurt my ill suited argument.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
It's a balance... the rider must be good enough to handle the equiptment, and the equiptment must be able to handle the riding style.

It's also fit, which bike style/set up fits you best. My buddy and I are both 6'1" - but we ride completely different set ups b/c his legs are longer than mine...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Riding a variety of bikes can help you improve as a rider, but when it comes down to it, it's all about the rider. For instance, you get a DH bike and learn to jump and do drops. Once you have it down you can start doing stuff on a HT. Then you start riding your HT more and learn to be a smoother rider. Then you ride your road bike 3x a week and get some endurance. Riding diff bikes helps you become a well rounded rider.

CowboyLeo

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
2 oh 2
The way i see it is like this:
The world's best surgeon couldn't do a good job with a blunt scalpel or the wrong tool altogether. Do the surgeon's tools performe the operation? No not at all, the surgeon does. Could he even to it without the tools? No he would be useless.
Our equipment only serves to express our skill. It's 100% rider.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
well, everytime i think about buying a lighter smaller bike for dh racing, i then remind myself of mark weightman.

This guy rides a tmx in the uk , its gotta weigh 65lbs, he runs 24s and 3inch gazzas regardless of conditions and he's fast as hell.

so i figure until im faster than him a lighter bike can wait.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
the way i look at it is a great rider can ride just about any bike well, while a crappy rider can ride the best bike in the world and still suck. But if you are an average level rider you will be better on a top quality bike then you would be on an average bike.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
this is just from personal experience but I only started riding DH/FR type stuff this season. I probably only have 6 rides on my Giant DH but each ride on that bike has made me a better rider than the time before. Each ride I'm going bigger and doing stuff I didn't think I'd ever do. For me all of my recent progress has been due to the tools.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
100% bike. Most people know how to ride one. The saying goes "it's like riding a bike" hinting at the fact that it's easy. :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A good bike can make you a better rider by making it easier to learn new stuff, but once you've got the skills you can rip it up on something less capable.

Sanjay actually might be a good example. I doubt he learned big doubles on that old cruiser or pit bike, but after doing it a few thousand times on a "good" bike he can pull it off on just about anything.

A medical student would have a hard time learning surgery with a blunt scalpel, but an experienced surgeon could pull it off in an emergency if there was nothing else around. Same way a good chef can make a tasty meal with three ingredients and a crappy pan after learning to cook in a fancy restaurant kitchen.

It's a combination of skills and equipment. IMHO good equipment does more than "serve the rider," it can enhance the rider by being more forgiving of mistakes and making it easier to progress.