Quantcast

...it's a YouTube extravaganza!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
******NSFW - Language ******* (Turn the volume down.)

******NSFW - Language *******
The language seems appropriate here.

That is a crazy view of it. They are lucky the windows didn't come flying into their faces.

Reminds me of this up here a few years ago....but like 100 times bigger holy crap.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did the tires explode or something?

@Pesqueeb What kind of damage is done by this?
Planes are designed to handle lightning strikes. The High voltage will travel around the outside skin of the airplane. I have been on a flight that got struck during a landing. Everything was fine.

Crabon Fibre dentist planes have conductive laminate layers on the skin to dissipate strikes.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Did the tires explode or something?

@Pesqueeb What kind of damage is done by this?
Lightning is fickle, so it can vary anywhere from nothing, to "significant". Composites tend to get "explody" if they are the exit point, and there can be anywhere from minor to major melting damage done to aluminum surfaces. Avionics systems are generally very well protected from that sort of thing, though I have seen lightning magnetize parts, and this can throw of some of the older navigation equipment, as they are very sensitive to magnetism.

Edit: Science!

Last edited:
Lightning is fickle, so it can vary anywhere from nothing, to "significant". Composites tend to get "explody" if they are the exit point, and there can be anywhere from minor to major melting damage done to aluminum surfaces. Avionics systems are generally very well protected from that sort of thing, though I have seen lightning magnetize parts, and this can throw of some of the older navigation equipment, as they are very sensitive to magnetism.

Edit: Science!
Hilarie and I were on an Aer Lingus flight over Long Island that got hit by lightning. Hella bang, but no notable side effects (Mid 1980s, maybe?).