Quantcast

Is the 8 inch travel DH bike Dead?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
They need to make more bikes like these. My slacked out Enduro EVO with a dual crown is almost perfect - just needs to be even a little slacker. My next DH bike will likely be a custom Nicolai ION 20 with an AM seat angle.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm turning 51 today.
If it is lift service then it is the big bike.
For me, even on the flow-stuff I love the big-bike - just carries speed so well.
Yes, the Endorphin or Delirium would be a lot more snappy and "fun" on the flow stuff, but I can't take the beating on the tech trails anymore, so the Podium rules.
I like having the "insurance" policy a big bike provides - albeit at a bit of above cost.
I break much more easily, and heal quite a lot slower now. The last set of broken ribs took forever before they no longer bothered me riding. Now I'm about to jinx myself, but so far I have not thrown the big bike away anywhere near what I did with the smaller bikes. When I fvck up, which I do a lot, the extra capability has saved my bacon whereas on the smaller bikes I'm thinking more plaster, bandages and couch surfing would be involved.

So for me now, I'm getting rid of the Delirium.
The trail bike and big-bike are all I need, the times I am going to have a hard time choosing will be very few and far between considering the trails that I get to ride on a regular basis.

after 45 years playing with foot-cycles on dirt; I guess I am the perpetual hack. - Big Bike Wins.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
They need to make more bikes like these. My slacked out Enduro EVO with a dual crown is almost perfect - just needs to be even a little slacker. My next DH bike will likely be a custom Nicolai ION 20 with an AM seat angle.

Maybe bikes like these will have a future:
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/first-look-mojo-suspension-nicolai-geometron/

I think it's a really interesting concept. Porter from Mojo suspension might be onto something here.
If you are riding alpine stuff on regular basis and have to earn those turns, one of these things will kill it. Definitely nothing for flat areas.

Nicolai has already built a gearbox version too:
http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2015/08/07/exklusiv-nicolai-ion-gpi/

It's only german, but the pictures and the geometry charts should be clear for anybody.

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
After riding my Banshee Spitfire at Crested Butte Evolution bike park a few weeks ago and crashing, breaking my arm, I was wishing I had brought my Legend instead. Up to that point I was thinking the Spitfire was working really well, especially with the Corset air sleeve I had just installed. But I misjudged a rock garden section, my front wheel just stopped (even with 650b wheels, yo!) and I went OTB. I am fairly certain this would not have happened on my Legend. The smaller bike just doesn't have much room for error on rough trails. I also think the big bike is a bit more stable on larger jumps, but this was also the first time I have taken my Spitfire to a bike park.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'm not sure a mountain bike with disk protectors and roost guards can be taken seriously, however well designed the rest of it is.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm not sure a mountain bike with disk protectors and roost guards can be taken seriously, however well designed the rest of it is.
Well for those of us with riding buddies who are able to sustain 40hp down the entire trail in front of us roost guards are TOTALLY legit.