Quantcast

Is the 8 inch travel DH bike Dead?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
i agree, you certainly dont see many 'park bikes' these days.
In Yurp they seem to come back. A bunch of manufacturers have released new models or are rumored to do so. It was weird: now that we have more parks there were no park bikes anymore. But with the release of the incredibly flexy new Lyrik (thanks to no 20 mm axle) the manufacturers will bring the appropriate bikes back me thinks. With flexy wheels (650B) to mask the flexy fork. Even more likely they will f*** it up completely and make them Plus-sized or Boost them. Oh well.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Dh bikes are far from dead and will ALWAYS have their place. Just most people started to realise that for where they ride, 90% of the time, an aggressive AM bike with sickunt suspension will do the job better.

I wish I still had one, but the reality is that I'm having more fun on the shorter travel bike

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've never understood the concept of a 'park' bike. If there's anywhere I want a big, heavy, slack DH bike, it's in the bike park.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Everyone I've ever had tell that they were 'just as fast' or 'faster' on their enduro bike than their DH bike has either been

A. Old
B. Not riding real DH trails
C. Riding real DH trails but at a snails pace
D. Come combination of the above

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Everyone I've ever had tell that they were 'just as fast' or 'faster' on their enduro bike than their DH bike has either been

A. Old
probably the same dudes claiming they can corner just as fast on a 29'er as they did on a 26"

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Judging by MSA qually runs, DH bikes still rule DH tracks.

There is one "trail bike" with a 40 on it up there, and he qualified 123rd out of 126.
Sorry Mr Neer, this isn't Angel Fire I guess....

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

A. Old
This is everyone I ride with currently and could not be more accurate.
I'm accepting resumes from potential new friends. Failing that, stabbing myself in hopes of an alpine reincarnation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

A. Old
the older i get, the faster i was

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

A. Old

A-MEN.

I also like the "i'm gonna take my trail bike as it makes it more fun"

Sorry, if there is a chairlift, I've ALWAYS had more fun on my DH bike. Always. I can jump it better, I can "rail" berms better, I can plow rock gardens faster, etc.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm accepting resumes from potential new friends. Failing that, stabbing myself in hopes of an alpine reincarnation.
At the very least, your friends still ride.

A lot of my buddies have their bikes hanging in the garage with flat tires. Sad. :(

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
If you ride like Alpine Flower and your friends - hamsters, its good chance you keep your friends.

/ the Cloak Flower

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
park bikes are being replaced by big travel trail bikes that are equally at home in the park or shredding the trails up or down . my process 167 is way more fun then my entourage is

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Knolly is releasing the new 650b Delirium - October delivery I believe.
It will be 167mm, double crown compatible.
Adjustable HA - with a 180mm 64.25-65 (HA with a 40 is about 63.5 in steep)
BB 13.6-13.9
Chainstays at 16.9
Stack 23.2 for a Large
Reach 18.6 for a Large
142 x 12 Hubs spec.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Not everyone lives in the mountains, in fact, I'd wager it's only the lucky handful who do or are close to "proper mountains". We all agree, if you're living in lift accessed areas, then by all means rock the 8" (though some park footage I've seen of some of the parks in the US looks pretty tame).

For the rest, a bike that sacrifices a bit of stability, in favour of manoeuvrability (let's leave the marketing labels alone for now) might just be the ticket. Besides, I always ride with full DH casing tyres when I'm only descending.... that claws back a fair bit of stability.

I'm old (ish), ride a freedownduro bike (with air suspension too... sorry), but won't have any friends when I'm moving to your neck of the woods. We can be lonely together if you want? I can teach you how to surf and you can teach me about physics and shit?

I have a video CV submission to hand, I'm not fast... but I can banter on the push up like no one else
https://instagram.com/p/52PncnBToQ/?taken-by=supercow182

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Meh. This means I suck even more. Being born in the Alps, grew up there, didn't learn to ride like E.T.
At this point I do have an excuse at last, have to care about my 15 months old lady in the trailer :flirt:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The bike industry is funny, we killed the freeride bike but have now brought it back under the guise of enduro/trail. I think it's great, many folks need a bike they can pedal to the top.

I have owned a DH bike for the past 6 or so years (freeride before that), this year I sold my DH bike in favor of a new nomad. My 'DH' riding is primarily bike park stuff about half flow the other half tech. Honestly I don't miss my dh bike at all with this fantastic new machine. I'm not riding race speed but def riding at a good clip, after ever run I still find the nomad's ability amazing.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I still find the nomad's ability amazing.
According the allmighty ridemonkey the Nomad is unrideable. Because VPP, 27,5" and UV radiation.
Santa Cruz will change the name of the bike in Youmad™ for 2016.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I have owned a DH bike for the past 6 or so years (freeride before that), this year I sold my DH bike in favor of a new nomad. My 'DH' riding is primarily bike park stuff about half flow the other half tech. Honestly I don't miss my dh bike at all with this fantastic new machine. I'm not riding race speed but def riding at a good clip, after ever run I still find the nomad's ability amazing.
This is my experience as well, I replaced 3 bikes with my nomad.
I don't know what shock you're running, but adding a Float X2 was a great improvement over the monarch on both pedaling and lift trails.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Like dildo size and color, I think much of it comes down to personal preference and expectation. If you're riding smooth-ish "flow trails" and/or trails that have a limited amount of proper gnar, then the modern All-duro bikes are probably the best option (save for the Nomad of course). But there's not a 160mm travel bike in the solar system that can provide the same level of stability, traction and solid aggregate annihilation as a well designed DH bike - especially in fast, rough terrain. And at least in my case, a DH bike also helps mitigate some of my (many) poor line choices and provides moar confidence to get weird on jumps or bigger, high consequence moves. Even with my megajizz in gravity (or super gravity) mode, it still gets overwhelmed in brutal, fast sections with successive hits. Now it certainly is an incredibly versatile machine, and if I could only have one bike, it'd definitely be my megajizz. But there's been many times in which I sorely wished for a 24 lb XC hill blaster, and like I said, there's been a few times in which I pined for a legit DH bike on rougher sections of a few trails I've ridden. To wit - last week in fact I rode a "local" lift serve on my TR450 and a buddy rode his pimped our Pivot Mach 6 Crabon, and he couldn't keep me in sight after the first 50 feet or so. Albeit, this was his maiden voyage to this particular place, but he was getting slap wore out towards the end and eventually went ass over tea kettle in a decidedly unpleasant and pointy location (hooray for stanchion nicks and bent derailleurs!). So yes, you can ride rough stuff, and as long as you're intending to keep the pace in check (or you're Jared Graves), you'll be fine on your 6" dildo. But if you've got a lift serve venue which offers some hardcore, pipe swinging rox, an 8.5" double sided black mamba is the preferred solution.

All that said, I still have a DH bike mainly because it's a 2010 model and really not worth selling at this point. If someone nicked it in the parking lot of a ski resort, I'd be hard pressed to make the case for a replacement shred sled (which would mean I would just Bill Cosby Suboptimas Prime and steal his new GG/DH :thumb: )

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All that said, I still have a DH bike mainly because it's a 2010 model and really not worth selling at this point. If
i'm pretty much in the same boat. for how much i'd get for my DH bike, it's worth it to me to hold onto for the limited amount of lift access riding i do these days - compared to what a rental bike would cost.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
1, Dildo
2. Megajizz
3. Graves
4. Pipe Swinging
5. Bill Cosby

You just covered it all!!!
Meanwhile I'm still over here feeling bad for his buddy wrecking his new bike on the first day and scratching his stankshuns before he even got his forkz dialed in.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is my experience as well, I replaced 3 bikes with my nomad.
I don't know what shock you're running, but adding a Float X2 was a great improvement over the monarch on both pedaling and lift trails.
I am running a Pike/Vivid, lent it to my bro while his bike was waiting on parts. He could not believe it on an xc ride (he's a pretty strict dh guy)...The bike is next level.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Like dildo size and color, I think much of it comes down to personal preference and expectation. If you're riding smooth-ish "flow trails" and/or trails that have a limited amount of proper gnar, then the modern All-duro bikes are probably the best option (save for the Nomad of course). But there's not a 160mm travel bike in the solar system that can provide the same level of stability, traction and solid aggregate annihilation as a well designed DH bike - especially in fast, rough terrain. And at least in my case, a DH bike also helps mitigate some of my (many) poor line choices and provides moar confidence to get weird on jumps or bigger, high consequence moves. Even with my megajizz in gravity (or super gravity) mode, it still gets overwhelmed in brutal, fast sections with successive hits. Now it certainly is an incredibly versatile machine, and if I could only have one bike, it'd definitely be my megajizz. But there's been many times in which I sorely wished for a 24 lb XC hill blaster, and like I said, there's been a few times in which I pined for a legit DH bike on rougher sections of a few trails I've ridden. To wit - last week in fact I rode a "local" lift serve on my TR450 and a buddy rode his pimped our Pivot Mach 6 Crabon, and he couldn't keep me in sight after the first 50 feet or so. Albeit, this was his maiden voyage to this particular place, but he was getting slap wore out towards the end and eventually went ass over tea kettle in a decidedly unpleasant and pointy location (hooray for stanchion nicks and bent derailleurs!). So yes, you can ride rough stuff, and as long as you're intending to keep the pace in check (or you're Jared Graves), you'll be fine on your 6" dildo. But if you've got a lift serve venue which offers some hardcore, pipe swinging rox, an 8.5" double sided black mamba is the preferred solution.

All that said, I still have a DH bike mainly because it's a 2010 model and really not worth selling at this point. If someone nicked it in the parking lot of a ski resort, I'd be hard pressed to make the case for a replacement shred sled (which would mean I would just Bill Cosby Suboptimas Prime and steal his new GG/DH :thumb: )
Fucking Epic Post!

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
what ever happened to Buffalo ?? definitely one of the 1st companies working with composites and getting it to work , Giant and GT both had issues in those early days

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
On the park bike vs DH bike thing I can say it simply depends on what you ride. I have to imagine a 6" "park" bike jumps better than a full on DH bike on certain types of jumps. At Highland DJ park last weekend my son and 5 other guys were killing the jumps on their hardtails and a group of 6 guys who had been riding all day killing it on Hellion came into the DJs with their 8" bikes and Boxxers/Fox 40s and not one of them could avoid casing each and every jump. They also ignored the sign that said no big bikes allowed;)

For the past 6 years I've downhilled on a bike that nowadays doesn't have a category. In 2000 when I bought it (Original RFX) it was billed a FR bike though the year before it was Turner's DH bike before the DHR was released. From 2001-2005 when I raced DH I also had a couple full DH rigs with DC forks but when I stopped racing and all my buddies hung their bikes in their garage I was simply riding with my son so the RFX was more than enough and honestly (as a 35lb 6" bike) fit into the then Park bike category even with it's angles and all. Just this year though I find myself longing for a full DH bike again as my son is now killing it on a FS bike and to keep up with him my body is getting beat up on the RFX, just carrying enough speed through the chatter on Hellion to make those jumps is like mounting a jack hammer. Find myself looking for an 8" used rig again. All what and who you ride with and if you race why bother with less than 8"? Heck, the new 650b DH designs are all 8", some bikes reduced down from 8.5-10" that they were on 26" wheels but still 8" and winning WC races.