Quantcast

Is racing committing suicide?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I just looked at the Duryea DH race. $95+$10 for license, +$6 registration fee+$5 for something else! Holy f+$k! $116 for a race? Just read a rant on the ESC Facebook page about it. Wow! Plus the hotel? Do people really spend $200-$400 every race? Crazy.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I just looked at the Duryea DH race. $95+$10 for license, +$6 registration fee+$5 for something else! Holy f+$k! $116 for a race? Just read a rant on the ESC Facebook page about it. Wow! Plus the hotel? Do people really spend $200-$400 every race? Crazy.
$200 barely gets me to a race in gas......

That said, it's starting to get a LOT out of hand.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
while expensive, it IS in line with what the event has cost in prior years. bear in mind that the race venue doesn't have traditional race infrastructure, so part of race fees covers boxtruck for an uplift.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
while expensive, it IS in line with what the event has cost in prior years. bear in mind that the race venue doesn't have traditional race infrastructure, so part of race fees covers boxtruck for an uplift.
$39.95/day + .99/mile.

26' box truck from the uhaul.

$300 is no doubt an "expense" but 3 racers covers it....for the weekend.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow you guys have a hardon for truck costs. they've got multiple trucks if you guys feel inclined to do more math.

again, i reiterate - because this race venue is NOT a ski resort, there are a quite a few additional costs associated with running the event that aren't incurred at a ski resort. city permits (since the event is held within city limits), security (ie police because Reading LOL)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
being competitive in any sport is expensive

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ive been involved in the organisation of such events a couple of times.
The amount of hours invested in an event like a race is ridiculous. People are not gonna do that for free.
Still most of the time these races are organised by people with passion for their sport and the fees usually barely cover the costs.

Another thing is, you dont have to sign up if you dont want to.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yes. BITD we used to spend that much just on fireworks and alcohol.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
On Facebook it says that the race is expected to sell out. That's 250 people @$95 pp. $23,750 is the total made. I know Ryder trucks used to advertise $150 for those big trucks and by the time I was out the door, it was closer to $400. That said, 4 trucks (what was there last year) is $3,200 for the weekend. Sponsors give out the swag and the ESC is paid for BY YOU in the entry fee. I've built trails by volunteering my time just like RR (now Bamba). I've also helped get sponsors for races and golf tournaments. I know it's a pain in the ass, but it's not something you get paid to do. Besides, shops like to get their names out there. But in this case, the sponsors are already part of the ESC.

OTOH, I think last year Fred said they had a good turnout with 100 racers. Maybe that was the year before? But... That's still my money.

So this year I will miss out too as the guy on Facebook also did. They're now down to 98 racers

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
wow you guys have a hardon for truck costs. they've got multiple trucks if you guys feel inclined to do more math.

again, i reiterate - because this race venue is NOT a ski resort, there are a quite a few additional costs associated with running the event that aren't incurred at a ski resort. city permits (since the event is held within city limits), security (ie police because Reading LOL)
No uhaul truck hard on here. Just pointing out his $19 quote wasn't that far off, as I just reserved a 26' box truck in reading for the 3 days of the race so I would have my own personal chariot to the top of the race course all weekend.

I don't think the cost is "that" far out of whack. Like I said, I spend $2-400 just driving to a race.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
What I find funny are the idiots paying $10k for bikes and $100 for races.

PS. Congrats on your 38,000 post. You're like that pirate guy on mtbr!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and to be fair, the dudes that are ponying up that much for a new bike every year aren't the ones i hear complaining about race fees. damn dentists.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
To the haters: Go get a quote for insurance on a mountain bike race and report back. That is the single largest expense in hosting a race.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
No uhaul truck hard on here. Just pointing out his $19 quote wasn't that far off, as I just reserved a 26' box truck in reading for the 3 days of the race so I would have my own personal chariot to the top of the race course all weekend.
theyre actually going to let you do that?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Oh boy, so yes the race registration costs the same as last season. Yes it is a USA Cycling event. Yes you need an annual or a day license to race. Yes the annual and day license costs are the same as last year. Yes there is a $5.15 fee for pre registering.

The extra $6 is pure bs that you are repeating from facebook without checking your facts.

And yes it will be a killer event racing urban trails, stairways and roadgaps with some fast World Cup guys in attendance.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I love the theories of how the bike industry is ripping people off. How many race organizers do you know who are filthy rich? Hell how many do you know who are even close to average earning? Maybe a few doing top series or some special events in cities/for big sponsors (still not races) but regular races? Nope, no money to be made there.

It's the same way people complain about expensive parts from small mfg's. They are also filthy rich. I'm surprised Warren Buffet isn't investing in downhill.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
You guys keep posting how "reasonably priced" these races are. 2 nights in a hotel @$115 plus tax per night + $115.65 for maybe 10 runs? That's at least $359 for what is essentially one timed run. Plus food and gas...

You claim I'm "making up" some "bs charge". The proof is in the pic. Your $5.65 service fee is what I was talking about. Not to mention the $5 to ride on Saturday. I don't recall getting charged for that in the past. That's not good PR either when you, the organizer, call someone a liar on a public forum.

I like the line about pro's being there too! Last year there was 2-3. If I want to meet the Pro's, I'd go to Windham and pay $10 to park and I get to meet every pro on the WC!

Face it, if there was 100 racers last year and Fred was OK with that, then good for him. Hat's off for a great weekend and all the fun times I've had in the past. But this year I won't be there. Neither will Dan Thomas, Aron Motta, Chris Roth or the others that raced with me. I wasn't any good at racing anyway, I just did this race cause it was FUN! But the slew of spectators that came to watch us in the past won't be there either. It's just not affordable anymore.

Congratulations to the "dentist" (as you call them on here) who can afford these prices several times a year. From a fellow rider, have fun and good luck racing. To Fred, I hope the race sells out this year and you recoupe some of your losses. Even though you said last year's showing was what you expected w/around 100 racers. You're a hell of a guy and know how to design a fun course!

Attachments

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You guys keep posting how "reasonably priced" these races are. 2 nights in a hotel @$115 plus tax per night + $115.65 for maybe 10 runs? That's at least $359 for what is essentially one timed run. Plus food and gas...

You claim I'm "making up" some "bs charge". The proof is in the pic. Your $5.65 service fee is what I was talking about. Not to mention the $5 to ride on Saturday. I don't recall getting charged for that in the past. That's not good PR either when you, the organizer, call someone a liar on a public forum.

I like the line about pro's being there too! Last year there was 2-3. If I want to meet the Pro's, I'd go to Windham and pay $10 to park and I get to meet every pro on the WC!

Face it, if there was 100 racers last year and Fred was OK with that, then good for him. Hat's off for a great weekend and all the fun times I've had in the past. But this year I won't be there. Neither will Dan Thomas, Aron Motta, Chris Roth or the others that raced with me. I wasn't any good at racing anyway, I just did this race cause it was FUN! But the slew of spectators that came to watch us in the past won't be there either. It's just not affordable anymore.

Congratulations to the "dentist" (as you call them on here) who can afford these prices several times a year. From a fellow rider, have fun and good luck racing. To Fred, I hope the race sells out this year and you recoupe some of your losses. Even though you said last year's showing was what you expected w/around 100 racers. You're a hell of a guy and know how to design a fun course!
Ok this is silly. I live in Poland. The average pay here is 12k USD per year (before taxes which are substantially higher than in US). Yet you complain about 359$ for a weekend of racing? We pay Roughly half of that 350$ you claim for a race weekend and I'm pretty sure you don't earn 24k per year (as in only twice as most of us here do) before the lowest tax rate of 18% (and 38% if you earn 24k). Yet we don't complain. Get over youself. It's expensive to race your pushbike in a remote location where the organizers have to find insurance for a very injury inducing sport, need to pay for ambulance, need to physically spend weeks if not months to build a track. Hell some of the cash they make is shared with sanctioning bodies, resort owners, online services etc. No one is making money off entry fees. If you want to make any money in action sports you find a big sponsor. If there are big, non extreme sports brand sponsoring the race you're whining about no one is ripping you off. So either pay the money and race or stop complaining.

I know you used to pay less but you know normal people call what's going on? Inflation.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
So you're saying that if you're not pro, don't get into racing, and that fees don't count towards the cost of racing?

I also learned from an economics major, that due to me not living in Poland, that this race is costing me half of what I think it is because I live in the US. That makes sense. Now I can justify spending the money. Thank you!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So you're saying that if you're not pro, don't get into racing, and that fees don't count towards the cost of racing?

I also learned from an economics major, that due to me not living in Poland, that this race is costing me half of what I think it is because I live in the US. That makes sense. Now I can justify spending the money. Thank you!
No idea what the first sentence is about. Fees count towards the cost of racing and racing gets more expensive but you make it like someone is ripping you off when no one does. Go organize a race or at least have a beer with someone who does then go back and complain (though if you have at least half a brain, you won't).

As for the rest the sarcasm is uneeded. I just used it as an example to show how entitled you feel. Outside of a few countries in eastern europe us racing prices may be problably one of the lowest in the world so complaining it's expensive is ridiculous. Relative to your purchasing power that is cheap. Want cheaper? Move to Puerto Rico.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

How many races have you organised?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

My wife and I drove to 11 DH races last year, to save money we camped at almost every one of them. We drove 8+ hours one way to every race. We got in well over 10 runs a weekend. It was expensive, but we certainly felt like we got our money's worth out of every race ESC, GES, and Pro-GRT races. There was only one venue that we decided wasn't worth the cost and a 10 hour drive (Launch) But it was also one of the races that we had the most fun at. Despite our tent pissing rain on my face all night friday.

That said, it just doesn't sound like DH racing is for you, but there's 100 other competitor's every weekend that it is for.

Life goes one for all of us.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
My wife and I drove to 11 DH races last year, to save money we camped at almost every one of them. We drove 8+ hours one way to every race. We got in well over 10 runs a weekend. It was expensive, but we certainly felt like we got our money's worth out of every race ESC, GES, and Pro-GRT races. There was only one venue that we decided wasn't worth the cost and a 10 hour drive (Launch) But it was also one of the races that we had the most fun at. Despite our tent pissing rain on my face all night friday.

That said, it just doesn't sound like DH racing is for you, but there's 100 other competitor's every weekend that it is for.

Life goes one for all of us.
That is sweet and I am jealous.
I barely pulled that when single and living off of fat FAFSA checks.

My dreams are still filled with Sprinters and fire pits....

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I said in an earlier post that I've sadly bowed out and so have friends and fellow riders. As it happens, someone else will fill my shoes. The issue is that it's just filling our space and not the other 150 empty ones.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Those of you who justify the price of these races- from one rider to another- good luck, have fun and be safe. I wish I was there to have fun with my buddies too.

I can see why after 2-3 years people give up on racing and even this sport in general. The only reason I'm still in it is because I've worked in a shop for the past 15 years just to be able to afford parts. This is why the sport is committing suicide. It's just not affordable. People have a hard time throwing out $150 for a day of riding to try DH. Bikes are outrageous to buy too. The bikes, the maintenance, the racing, passes/tickets, gas to get there, in some cases a hotel, time off from work... That's why the racing end of it is committing suicide.

Kickstand, I understand your take on it and I'm glad you have such fun doing it. Ride on!