Quantcast

Is Lance finally busted?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
today in lance related news....

Private investigators removed IT equipment, including Pat McQuaid’s laptop, from UCI headquarters in Aigle, Switzerland, minutes after the Irishman lost his bid for a third term atop cycling’s international governing body, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday. According to the Times, staff from the Kroll firm, working for newly elected president Brian Cookson, entered the headquarters on Sept. 27 and removed computers and documents to be reviewed in an investigation over corruption charges against the Irishman.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/10/news/must-read-investigators-seized-mcquaids-laptop-documents_306405

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
cycling news interview w/ lance:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lance-armstrong-exclusive-interview-part-1

as much as i dislike him, he makes some really good points:

DB: When did you realise that the UCI didn’t give a ****?

LA: I don’t know if they didn’t give a **** or if they just couldn’t, honestly, and I don’t think highly of Pat [McQuaid] or Hein [Verbruggen] today, but what were they going to do? Imagine you’re Hein, and again I’m not defending him, but take yourself to '94 or maybe even '93 or before. He should have known before because high-octane existed in the late '80s and not just in cycling, in other endurance sports. You’re there, you’re the head of the governing body, you’ve got no test, no test at all – what are you going to do? And again, I know those guys are easy to pick on, but it’s 1995 for example, you’re Hein Verbruggen. What the **** are you going to do? Hope someone gets caught at a border? There’s nothing you can do. Maybe they didn’t give a ****, I didn’t ask them, but I do know that they could not do a thing. Just like the head of the IAAF couldn’t do a thing, just like the head of FINA couldn’t do a thing. They just did not have the tools to do anything until maybe 10 years later.

DB: But do you not think they didn’t have even the will?

LA: If they had the scientific data to protect them legally, then yeah, but again I don’t know. Ultimately we end up where we are today where we have a test that works for one compound [EPO] and guys have to decide if they want to dance around that. I’d like to think that there’s a lot less risk taking. But at the time they could only test for what they had a test for. I don’t think it’s right or responsible, and again I’m not defending them because I don’t really care for them, but cycling tried with some pressure to implement things that were just band-aids over the course of time. Whether it was just the 50 per cent rule, which was what it was – it wasn’t perfect but it was a step. But the sport got no credit for it. That led to more things like the off-score, which led to the biological passport and all the while, no credit. And every other sport that has the doping problem is sitting back and laughing, laughing their asses off, getting no attention, no criticism, no exposure and not doing a ****ing thing.
DB: Okay, well what do you put that down to?

LA: Well cycling, the Tour is bigger than some cross country race, even the New York City Marathon. It’s bigger than those things.

DB: Okay, but it’s not as big as the World Cup in soccer or the Super Bowl.

LA: Well listen, the biggest difference between cycling, football and tennis is the players’ union, an athletes’ union. We have no voice, no unity. There are guys all over the place. Those sports, major league sports, they’re not letting that happen and the owners wouldn’t allow it to happen. Whereas we’ve just been living in the Wild West. The riders have no rights, ASO continues to make millions, the teams don’t own anything. The only thing a team owns is its current contract, and when that’s up you’re ****ing done. You might have a couple of buses and a truck. There’s no equity and value. It’s a ****ed up business model.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Attack is the best defense.

Nothing never stopped him from setting up a riders union. If anybody had the clout to do so it was him.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
He also missed the point football and tennis skill is a bigger factor and in the public eye it may be the only factor while the public thinks cycling is pure fitness so yes doping will always get more attention in endurance sports.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
He also missed the point football and tennis skill is a bigger factor and in the public eye it may be the only factor while the public thinks cycling is pure fitness so yes doping will always get more attention in endurance sports.
I think Football get's quite a bit of attention on doping. But they also make sure to suspend a few guys a year for positive tests, so in the public eye they look like they are doing their job.

I do agree with you though, cycling (road) is viewed as pure fitness, where doping makes a more significant impact to an athletes chances.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
parts 2 & 3 are up (4th and final part tomorrow):

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lance-armstrong-exclusive-interview-part-2

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lance-armstrong-exclusive-interview-part-3

this sticks out from part 3:

DB: I watched the Oprah interview and what I want to know is whether you’re sorry you got caught or if you’re sorry for what you did?

LA: Maybe both. It was a perfect storm at the time back then. You had things going on that were incredibly beneficial and if you didn’t make that decision [doping] you went home. Now the debate will be how many people went home. I don’t know. Everyone I knew stayed. So we all make our own decisions for ourselves. To answer your question it was an unfortunate set of circumstances that all of us were put into. This is where Travis [Tygart] is lying about protecting the rights of clean athletes. I love it and believe it but in 2013. Back then, it doesn’t hold water because there were none. So while I support him on that today, back then you’re not protecting anyone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, lance specifically used the term "UCI Overlord" :rofl:

[edit] not sure if he was reffering to mcquaid or verbruggen, but for all intents and purposes they're one in the same [/edit]

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
We Are The doushbags"

I've cheated for my dues
Time after time.
I've not done my sentence
and committed many crimes.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
I've had my share of drugs stuck in my arm
But I've come through.

(And I need just go on and on, and on, and on)

We are the doushbags, my friends,
And we'll keep on lying 'til the end.
We are the doushbags.
We are the doushbagss.
No jail time for losers
'Cause we are the doushbags of the world.

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it
I thank you all

But it's been no bed of roses,
No pleasure cruise.
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race
And I ain't gonna lose.

(And I need just go on and on, and on, and on)

We are the doushbags, my friends,
And we'll keep on lying 'til the end.
We are the doushbags.
We are the doushbagss.
No jail time for losers
'Cause we are the doushbags of the world.

We are the cheaters, my friends,
And we'll keep on cheating 'til the end.
We are the doushbags.
We are the doushbagss.
time for losers
'Cause we are the doushbags.

with apologies to Freddie Mercury and Queen

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm sure he spent quite a bit of money on lawyers. Pretty sure this isn't his only law suit either. He ain't gonna be broke but he certainly isn't going to be as rich.