Quantcast

Is it worth it??

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Been planning on bringing my DH bike to work for a while now, I wanted to ride the sucker to the bottom of the mine. Word snuck out that somone was thinking about doing something like this.

Being the only person in a 50 mile radius who owns a bike worth more than two cartons of beer, and certainly being the only one with a DH rig in the area; it was rightly assumed the person considering this prank was me.

Long story goes I was advised that if I wished to keep my job I wouldn't be doing this. Although the manager had a good laugh after and asked if he could have a ride on the weekend.

What I wanna know now is---

"Is a job that pays $85k worth throwing in to have the notoriety of being the first (and last) person to ride the mine?"

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Being moved to new mine site in two months though, it is looking very tempting. Especially becasue I'm a contractor and not actually employed by the mine.

Maybe as a parting gesture?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Do it when you quit. Not before then.

Sheesh, I'd give my left nut for a job that paid 85k/year and you're considering tossing it for a 2 minute ride :D :p

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Its night shift and I gotta lot of time to fill in.

It's 7.5 k top to bottom with a 1:8 average grade all the way. So I it might almost be four minutes. Just look out for the 70 ton haul trucks.

You gotta remember that when I speak $ its Aussie not US. Damn if it was US there would be zero chance.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
JoeRay said:
Its night shift and I gotta lot of time to fill in.

It's 7.5 k top to bottom with a 1:8 average grade all the way. So I it might almost be four minutes. Just look out for the 70 ton haul trucks.

You gotta remember that when I speak $ its Aussie not US. Damn if it was US there would be zero chance.

Ahh. Well, I think you should go into it as if they WILL find out and you WILL lose your job. Do you care? No? Then go for it. If you care, resist the temptation until you get the urge to quit :D

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Not really serious say 40% or so. Primarily I'm sick of sitting in office doing bullsheet concrete batching audits at 3am.

That and night shift for two weeks starts to does funny things to your head. I haven't seen the sun for twelve days now.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
I may have to be onsite but I don't have to do constructve work.

Been at work for 9 hours or so and finished all valid work eight and a half hours ago. The upside to night shift is no boss to look over shoulder as long as work gets done it all good.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Buy a cheap bike that will make it down and not break (after one ride at least). Write a coworkers name on it and then when you get to the bottom break something and ditch it in a corner. When they find it they will think that guy did it and ditched the bike because it was broke.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Good point.

There is a sump at pit bottom that is roughly six feet deep.

The important question now is should I buy the 100 buck hardtail or the 120 buck duallie?