Quantcast

Iron Horse Sunday Chain Slap

richiedelf

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
Chamonix
Hi, I've had my Sunday for ages now, and have always had a massive problem with the chain slap against the rear triangle. I just cover the thing in old inner tube and get on with life. But I would, one day maybe like to solve the issue. Does anyone have the same problem, or know how to fix it? It's a short cage XO and a 36 tooth chain ring, run from a Raceface Atlas crank. The frame's a 2008 small.
Thanks!!!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
how old is the derailler? i've had issues before using super old deraillers where the springs no longer had enough tension to keep the chain from flopping around like 80 year old titties

richiedelf

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
Chamonix
how old is the derailler? i've had issues before using super old deraillers where the springs no longer had enough tension to keep the chain from flopping around like 80 year old titties
Is that the spring in the derailler, or the spring in the cage? The cage was new when I built the bike.

ptd

Chimp
Oct 16, 2011
I've found when the chain is over shortened the noise increases greatly, when the length is one or two links on the long side rather than short, the noise decreases. B adjuster works if the der. is hitting frame in high gear, otherwise can make it worse if over done.
When I went from lg1 to SRS the noise also increased.
When I flick the der. cage, currently x9, the hanger stop rotates and flings back, also creating noise.
Noise decreased when I rotated the chain device to move the bottom guide away from the chainstay, because when the der. flicks it whips the chain up hitting the underside chainstay and making a huge noise.

I'd like to try new saint with clutch and rubber stopper, with not too tight chain, probably the only solution.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
If you have an LG1 you can try gluing the plastic portion of velcro to the insides of the upper chain guide. I always found the chain slapping against the chain guide to be the loudest part of my bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is that the spring in the derailler, or the spring in the cage? The cage was new when I built the bike.
probably the one in the cage, but it could be both. if its a few years old and has seen a lot of use, this may be the culprit. if you have a newer derailler (spare, on another bike) it'd be a quick & easy way to determine whether or not this was the culprit

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
They're usually fairly quiet with a sram mech, I'd be comparing the movements of your X0 to a friend's if possible. I've seen them break internally on the fixed pivot that attaches to the frame so they can flop around there, or like jonKranked said, one of the springs.

Assuming that's sorted though, it helps to run the silicone tubing over the cable housing like the WC bikes, and the latest thick adhesive rubber tape everyone is using works really well (better than velcro). I use a strip along the top of the chainstay (under the tube covered housing) and a strip underneath the chainstay. It helps to run the tape all the way to the chainring on both top and bottom.

I forget what it's called but it's a 3M product about 2.5mm thick on brown backing paper, maybe someone else can name it.

richiedelf

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
Chamonix
Thanks for all the help, but it's not really about it being noisy or not.... More about the state of the rear triangle. Kinda looks like it's been attacked by a small angle grinder around the chain and damages the gear cable outer too.

ptd

Chimp
Oct 16, 2011
Same advice I'd say....
- lg1 style guide will reduce chain slapping the top of the stay
- moving lower guide away from stay a bit will reduce chain slapping the bottom of the stay
- over shortened chain makes slap worse
- clutch derailler should reduce slap
To reduce noise when it does happen....
- mastic tape
- tube over cable
- rubber bumper on derailler

A few chainless runs on my Sunday was so quiet in comparison, I've been tinkering ever since...